Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying something new with black and white. Do you think it works?

• 26-03-2011 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Basically what I've done is create a soft focus effect (which itself is not typical for a cityscape). I created a gaussian blurred layer in Photoshop and then reduced its opacity to give the soft focus effect often used in portraiture. I then boosted the contrast in curves to put back some of the contrast lost in the soft focus step.

I am trying to create a smoother transition between the tones while still retaining detail and enough sharpness.

Do you think it works? Any feedback and c and c welcome.

samuel-beckett-bridge-dublin-docklands-monochrome.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I like it, excpt for the light patch on the building on the left, and also the bridge on the right seems a bit too blured. otherwise, nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I like the tone and light but I find it a little bit soft for my liking. How about a high-pass filter to bring out the edges a bit?

Edit: Easy enough to show what I mean - hope you don't mind the addition.

153023.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I think it looks awful, doesn't add anything at all to the picture IMO. If you persist in doing it though you absolutely have to get rid of that heavy vignette around the outside of the image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

+1

The vignette is rotten, the blur looks out of place and unnessicary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Thanks for the feedback so far. It is one of those things that you spend so long staring at that you don't know if you've wrecked it or not. It usually takes a fresh look the next day or a few outside opinions. Still undecided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Does not work for me, sorry. Vignette, blur and HDR-like loss of crispness just puts it down. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Barry I'd love to see the original. I agree with the others I'm afraid - the Vignette put me off straight away, and the HDRyness (I made a word :) ) really detracts from what might be a nice shot IMHO. There's enough drama in the shape of the bridge - no need to be adding so much.

Then again, I've become extremely allergic to shots of the Beckett Bridge :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ThePhilipify

Don't think the effect works here, might work for some other shots but in this one its a miss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Rather than feic around in PS you could get the same effect using a cheap lens, except the vignette would be round.

Advertisement