Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venus Fly Trap

Options
  • 26-03-2011 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I have a small Venus Fly Trap which was accidently left outside a couple of nights ago during the frost & some of the traps & leaves have turned black at the tips. Is there any hope for him?? Also does anyone know of a good feed that could be added to his watering? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i have one here too and it says to only give them water and no additives...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Usually when the traps start to go black they're dead. Put it on a sunny window and hopefully it'll regrow.

On a related note; does anyone in know anywhere in Dublin city selling pitcher plants? Mine gave up the ghost in autumn. They're far superior flycatchers to the Venus flytrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

They need lot's of sun and sandy soil try changing the soil and stick it on a window with direct sunlight see if that helps. I had one named felicity that started going black couldn't save her tough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

kylith wrote: »
    Usually when the traps start to go black they're dead. Put it on a sunny window and hopefully it'll regrow.

On a related note; does anyone in know anywhere in Dublin city selling pitcher plants? Mine gave up the ghost in autumn. They're far superior flycatchers to the Venus flytrap.

Homebase in santry had them a while back coz i bought a few of them..not sure if they stillhave them,you could maybe ring and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Johnstown Garden Centre is the only one I know.
    Not city but not that far out either

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Homebase in santry had them a while back coz i bought a few of them..not sure if they stillhave them,you could maybe ring and ask.
    I'll check the Homebase near me, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'll check the Homebase near me, thanks.

Make sure you pot them in sand/perlite and peat mix..they dont want any fertiliser or fertile soil...and tehy have to be kept wet all the time.

Degsy wrote: »
    Make sure you pot them in sand/perlite and peat mix..they dont want any fertiliser or fertile soil...and tehy have to be kept wet all the time.
    Keeping them wet is no problem but too fertile soil is probably what killed my pitcher plant; she'd gotten really massive so I potted her on and it was then she started to die.

Ah well, I'll know for next time.

Advertisement