Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered 2 year old beagle

• 26-03-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I was just wondering. I have a freid who is emigrating and asked me would I take in his 2 year old beagle. I hope this is not s tupid question but at least with a puppy the dog will grow up as an adult knowing you are his master or proper owner so to speak. Would this dog however get used to the cange in environment and get to know me eventually as his master or owner if I took him in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Hi,

I was just wondering. I have a freid who is emigrating and asked me would I take in his 2 year old beagle. I hope this is not s tupid question but at least with a puppy the dog will grow up as an adult knowing you are his master or proper owner so to speak. Would this dog however get used to the cange in environment and get to know me eventually as his master or owner if I took him in?

If you treat him well I'm sure he will. Dogs adapt easily enough if they're treated with love and kindness. If his previous owner was good to him he will of course miss him but give him a good home and treat him well and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Just a little word of warning about beagles. They are masters of escaping so you will need a REALLY secure garden. They are pretty good at scaling fences too so just be careful!
    If he is left alone for hours on end and gets bored, then there's only one thing for it...over the fence and away on a scent!

WATCH THIS LINK to see what I mean!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBjQDeZPag

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Hi Joebloggs

I have a 15 month old beagle and will say that he is a fantastic dog BUT I do think there are a couple of things you should we be aware of
    They are by nature stubborn and difficult to train as domestic pets, you need to be very patient. Their breeding is as hunting dogs so chasing scents and running with the pack is their more natural habitat and not cooped up in a 5sq Metre "garden" so I would make sure you have a decent sized garden and as mentioned above make sure it is 100% secure or you'll never see the dog again!

Depending on whether it's a male & if it's been chopped, they can be very (very) dominant, it's important to make sure he or she knows who the pack leader is. I would suggest puppy training if it hasn't had it already.

Very simply spend a wee bit of time with the dog before committing, see how it is with your friend and what it's allowed not allowed do, be inside, be on the couch etc... and translate that to your own place and how you would want to the dog to behave because it will require a lot of patience to change some of its habits

This is a good read....
    http://www.beagles-on-the-web.com/questions/dominance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Got our beagle in rescue when she was almost 2 years old she had been through 6 homes. She is incredibly attached to us. Once you treat a dog well and put in the time needed they quickly adapt and become attached to a new family.

Advertisement