Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mikael Åkerfeldt/Steven Wilson Project is on the way...

Options
  • 26-03-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately its not expected to be released until next year. I remember hearing rumours about them possibly working on something together, so its great to hear that they are working on the project.
    The much-anticipated collaboration project between OPETH's Mikael Åkerfeldt and PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson, tentatively dubbed "Storm Corrosion", has completed writing material for its debut album. Wilson says, "There's still a lot of recording work to do, but this should definitely be out in early 2012."
    Regarding the similarities and differences between PORCUPINE TREE and OPETH and how they play into "Storm Corrosion", Wilson said, "The funny thing is that the music we're making together is actually nothing like either of us made before. Because I think we both had this idea of this kind of music that we knew we couldn't get our bands to play, but that we both kind of understood where we were coming from. 'Cause we have this kind of passion [for] very experimental, obscure records, almost orchestral in their scope. And we wanted to make a record like that for a long time."

While its a long wait for this to be released, I can't wait to see what they can do together. Mike Portnoy was rumoured to be part of this project, but unfortunately is no longer part of it. Anyone else excited about this? More information here.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really looking forward to this, 2 of the best song writers out there

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

*crosses legs* Oh my, this has the potential to be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Mike Portnoy was rumoured to be part of this project, but unfortunately is no longer part of it.

FYP

|But yeah saw this on Steve's Facebook page. Can't wait to hear what crazy stuff they come out with

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Dr. Poca, out of curiosity do you not like Portnoy's drumming, or dislike the guy himself?

If they get a drummer in to record with them, I wonder who it could be. Thinking about it now I would love to hear what Terry Bozzio would be like on the album. Of course its hard to say without knowing what the music is going to sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Dr. Poca, out of curiosity do you not like Portnoy's drumming, or dislike the guy himself?

If they get a drummer in to record with them, I wonder who it could be. Thinking about it now I would love to hear what Terry Bozzio would be like on the album. Of course its hard to say without knowing what the music is going to sound like.

I just think Portnoy's style is way too clinical and lacks feeling. Nothing against the guy himself.
    With Steve and Mike you've got two song writers with a huge depth of feeling and atmosphere to their writing styles and I just don't think Portnoy would fit in to that.

That said, I don't have anyone in mind to drum for them, but it will probably just end up being Gavin Harrison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I remember reading soething where Steven said he did the percussion and orchestration, while Mikael did the guitars, with vocals shared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

This has potential to be class.

This has potential to be class.

Expect the unexpected. They have said everyone expects a prog metal outing, so thats what they not doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Mushy wrote: »
    Expect the unexpected. They have said everyone expects a prog metal outing, so thats what they not doing.

I know that dude, what I was trying to say also is that this could also be a bit "meh". There, I said it. Hope its not though!

Its too hard to go in with no expectations unfortunately. I'll love it cos I just a fanboy of both really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement