Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord entering without any notice or arrangements

Options
  • 26-03-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

First time renter here from a private landlord. There is no signed tenancy agreement nor can I put the ESB bill in my name as he says he wants it left in his. I checked this out through a few searchs online and it seems that an oral agreement is aloud aswell as leaving the bills in the landlords name if the tenant has not been there more than a year.

The problem Im now having is he and others are entering without any arrangments or prior notice given to myself on days and times that suit him. I had reported a few problems with the apartment to him on a number of occasions, he said he would get back to me on it and I heard no more.A few weeks later on two seperate occasion he had let someone into the apartment while I was in work. I only found out about this because he had to contact me to say the person he had in actually had made the problem worse and now needed to fully replaced the item. I didnt say much about him having someone enter without any arrangements as I was happy enough I was finaly getting things fixed. He got back onto me and said he would send out his brohter or son in another few days to have a look. I told him that I would arrange to be there to let him in as I didnt want anyone just letting themselfs in. So on the day he was to come, I got a fright when I came out of the toilet as yet again the landlord had just let himself and his son in,not even a knock. At this stage I was very annoyed and this might be a bit over drastic but I got a family member to change the lock after this.

There was still a problem with the plumbing that he could not sort out himself and he said he would be out at 6.30 friday evening with a plumber, I left work early that day to make sure Id be there for six incase he came early and tryed let himself in again. I waited around for almost 3 hours and headed out at around 9.15. 10pm I got a phone from the landlord complaining and giving out that he had tryed to entered and that i had no rights to change the locks, I explained i felt the need as he and others kept entering without any permission. He told me he had a right to and I must get two keys cut for him.He then told me I better make my way back to the apartment as he is waiting outside with a plumber. I felt this was a very unsociable hour for him to be showing up let alone demanding I come back at. I have a young son which would usualy be in bed at that time if he had not been in his nannys that night.

I am totaly lost when it comes to tenants rights, could anyone tell me if there is anything i can do without been penalised as i feel if i do give him a set of keys he will continue to let himself in when he feels nessasary. I had been trying for months to get someting in this area as its close to my sons school and work and would like to try avoid having to move out. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

Get out of there as quick as you can the report this chancer to the PRTB(kind of the landlord regualtor) as he's probably not registered with them and this can get him into alot of trouble and a hefty fine
    And contact Revenue as the whole not letting you have an ESB account is just him doing his darndest to avoid paying tax as a landlord.

When finding new place, if your happy with the place, landlord/agency and price, agree to sign a lease you both agree to putting all additional terms you or landlord/agency may have in and make sure property is signed up with PRTB, and you should have no problems.
    Never rent anywhere without lease or proof of PRTB registeration, it leaves you vunrable and without means to prusue wrongdoing on landlords behalf.

As regards the position your in now, your wide open and have no comeback, best bet just get out quick as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shaken not stired

Hi i though the PRTB was just for landlords, will they take calls from tenants too?

Hi i though the PRTB was just for landlords, will they take calls from tenants too?

Yes if a landlord is not registered to the PRTB the tenant can report this, and any complaints the tenant has with the landlord can be submitted also through writing

Have a alook at their site for more info

https://www.prtb.ie/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 your landlord is legally not allowed enter your home without asking your permission in advance.

However the same law (Section 17.1) forbids you from changing the locks without your landlord's permission.

You should make sure your landlord understands and accepts that he cannot enter without your permission and then you should give him the two keys he requested.

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 your landlord is legally not allowed enter your home without asking your permission in advance.

However the same law (Section 17.1) forbids you from changing the locks without your landlord's permission.

You should make sure your landlord understands and accepts that he cannot enter without your permission and then you should give him the two keys he requested.

But with a landlord not being registered with PRTB and the tenant not havng a lease this means nada

Op needs get onto PRTB about this clown

• Advertisement

When I said to my land lord the reason i changed it was because himself and others where entering without arrangements, he told me he has a right to. Also he only ever supplied me with one key so i reckon i will just give him one also, i have checked out the PRTB site, and it says that tenants have a right to an Peaceful and exclusive occupation of the dwelling,which at the moment is not the case. I think i entered into this place totaly blindfolded as the Citizens information says there should be a min standard suck as fire alarms and a grill as well as running hot and cold water(There is no imersion) . None of which my apartment has. Also it says there should be heating applicants in all rooms lived in, would a bathroom be considered a room lived in as thats where you would bathe and wash daily and there is no form of heating applicant is this room. Is this illegal?

The PRTB also said that they should supply rent books or receipts, there is a number to ring threshold a housing body, so i ill be defo giving them a call on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When I said to my land lord the reason i changed it was because himself and others where entering without arrangements, he told me he has a right to. Also he only ever supplied me with one key so i reckon i will just give him one also, i have checked out the PRTB site, and it says that tenants have a right to an Peaceful and exclusive occupation of the dwelling,which at the moment is not the case. I think i entered into this place totaly blindfolded as the Citizens information says there should be a min standard suck as fire alarms and a grill as well as running hot and cold water(There is no imersion) . None of which my apartment has. Also it says there should be heating applicants in all rooms lived in, would a bathroom be considered a room lived in as thats where you would bathe and wash daily and there is no form of heating applicant is this room. Is this illegal?

The PRTB also said that they should supply rent books or receipts, there is a number to ring threshold a housing body, so i ill be defo giving them a call on monday.

Where is this place? Cos it sounds crap.

Its in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

But with a landlord not being registered with PRTB and the tenant not havng a lease this means nada

Op needs get onto PRTB about this clown

I agree the OP should move but the not having a lease does not mean nada, it means the OP has a 4 part tenancy and that still comes under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 quoted above. OP you need call threshold and get on to the PRTB. There are minimum standards for properties but they are different depending on the age of the property and how long it's been a rental unit, you can get some from your local authority to check the property to see if it meets the minimum standards.

Honestly though it sounds like a kip and I would just leave.

ztoical wrote: »
    I agree the OP should move but the not having a lease does not mean nada, it means the OP has a 4 part tenancy and that still comes under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 quoted above. OP you need call threshold and get on to the PRTB. There are minimum standards for properties but they are different depending on the age of the property and how long it's been a rental unit, you can get some from your local authority to check the property to see if it meets the minimum standards.

Honestly though it sounds like a kip and I would just leave.

Thanks all for your comments, I am ringing Threshold first things in morning, my phone was ringing all morning when i was in the cinema with the little lad, no credit to ring back and check who it was. So just a few mins ago it phoned again. And surpirse suprise, the landlord has given my number to the previous tenant, without even asking me was it ok to give out my num.

• Advertisement
Advertisement