Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever just burned out?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Im doing a single major and the workload is pretty intense at the moment but thats never bothered me before, ive always got the head down in time. Over the last couple of days though i feel like sh1t, ive no focus whatsoever (cant even read a line or two without zoning out), i had flu like symptoms on campus that made me head home early a few of the days and now because the deadline is so close for several assignments and ive so little done im completely panicked but still cant focus! I feel like im on the way out of my course cause i cant do any work.

Wow, apologies this went a little PI but im just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone? and if they have any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Im doing a single major and the workload is pretty intense at the moment but thats never bothered me before, ive always got the head down in time. Over the last couple of days though i feel like sh1t, ive no focus whatsoever (cant even read a line or two without zoning out), i had flu like symptoms on campus that made me head home early a few of the days and now because the deadline is so close for several assignments and ive so little done im completely panicked but still cant focus! I feel like im on the way out of my course cause i cant do any work.

Wow, apologies this went a little PI but im just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone? and if they have any advice?

Yeah been there, I get a twitching in my eyelid when I over do it (doesn't happen often), its caused by stress, fatigue and too much caffeine

If you can, you should think about some time off, it can be more beneficial than study in some circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Do you play any sports? I find getting out to training/matches helps clear my head so much. Always helps me focus.

I know how you feel, feels like you simply will never get it done - but you will. Chin up and head down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Cheers guys. Nah not much of a sports person but i think you might be right, if i make it through to September it'll be something ill seriously consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I have burned out before. Happened once or twice when I was in 6th year. It happens alot of people, don't worry about it alot of people know what your going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Exercise is fantastic, get the heart rate up and the blood flowing. I'd recommend taking some omega 3 fish oils also, they're great for your brain, I always take them when I'm working hard, and have had great results with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eirn

Maybe see about extending the deadlines of some assignments. Have a quick word with college doc or counseller if your really bothered about things. Get loads of fresh air, have some variety in your diet (all the boring stuff:D) Having organised notes, study plans, etc. will help too. Tirenesss and stress just accumalates over time, it happens to most of us at some point. Hope you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

dr gonzo wrote: »

A lot of people hit "the wall" at different times doing different things.
    Some people take time off, I found recently that making a to-do list for everything I have to do works for me.
    You're best bet is to find out what works for you.

Being only a few weeks from the summer you could just force yourself into work mode and then take it easy for the break and think about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Last semester from Week 11 through to the first day I had exams (stress the emphasis on the plural there) was probably the worst I have ever felt physically and mentally.

I'll set you the scene:

5,000 word essay on Glaciation > 100% at stake > 6 weeks to do it > All of my energy went into it right up until the deadline, extended by a week because of the weather. I only did 3,700 and got a B+..

...done at the same time as....

2,500 word essay on Contemporary German Prose > 70% at stake > 4 weeks to do it > Part of my energy as I got a good chunk of the 30% earlier > Did 2,400 and scraped a D- on further inspection after results and was glad to get it.

...The day deadline of these two essays were my first two exams was less than 24 hours before my first exam at 9am-11am followed by a 12-2. Passed one well with flying colours and failed the other. I honestly thought UCD just wanted me to give up,but we all have our little quibs with them.

That 72 hours was a make or break situation that I never want to repeat in any aspect of my academical career.

Cheers for the replies guys, im just gonna power through to the summer and do what i can. Got one of two assignments due for wednesday completed today but its gonna be a very very busy two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

My house burnt down (not completely, but was in a terrible way, mother nearly died) in Easter of the second semester of second year (2008). I took a few weeks off college to fix up the place etc... Came back had about 5 assignments to do within a month then study for exams. I managed to get all of them done, study for two weeks and did better than the previous semester somehow.

So I literally was "burned out" in more ways than one.

Keep at it op, it's shit but it'll come and go and if you keep up the work now it'll pay off when you're reading the SIS website in June.

• Advertisement

El Siglo wrote: »
    My house burnt down (not completely, but was in a terrible way, mother nearly died) in Easter of the second semester of second year (2008). I took a few weeks off college to fix up the place etc... Came back had about 5 assignments to do within a month then study for exams. I managed to get all of them done, study for two weeks and did better than the previous semester somehow.

So I literally was "burned out" in more ways than one.

Keep at it op, it's shit but it'll come and go and if you keep up the work now it'll pay off when you're reading the SIS website in June.

Wow, heres me moaning on Boards and you had real problems then!

I appreciate the advice though, if could get all that done with what you had going on then i should have no problems keeping the head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

I feel that way at the minute. Burned out. I just feel like I can't get ahead in assignments. I finish one then two more assignments come along and the stack grows. I find myself doing work for the assignments till 8.00 each evening, even doing a good chunk of work on the weekends and I still can't get ahead in the assignments.

For instance last week I spent 30hours in two days trying to finish one of the assignments(Hard assignment and I still only got about 70% of it out). Then the next day after that I had another assignment to be finished off and an exam to study for. I have a busy week ahead of me now. But after that I shall be pretty sorted as major assignments will be done by then. Roll on two weeks!

Advertisement