Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need an international license?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

So I recently passed my full motorbike license and now have my full car and bike license. I heard you only need an international license if your license isn't in English but the company I'm getting my WHV visa from (visafirst) said that my Irish license would only be good for 3 months and then I'd need an international license which would be good for a year. Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Not in Victoria as long as your not here on a PR Visa. There is a condition that if you live in Victoria for over three months you need a Vic licence but to be honest an international licence wont save you from that.

So if your licence is in English an international licence is of no benefit.

uestion is where are you going live for over three months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

and it's not true for NSW either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Alright grand I'm heading to Melbourne so should be grand. Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Vic Roads

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/NewToVictoria/InternationalDrivingPermits.htm
    Using an International Driving Permit in Victoria
    An international driving permit represents a translation of an overseas driver licence. It has no validity on its own and must accompany a current overseas driver licence.

An international driving permit is only valid if it:

* complies with the UN convention for International Driving Permits, and
    * is issued by the country the overseas driver licence is issued in; and
    * is accompanied by a current overseas driver licence from the same country the permit was issued in.

NSW Roads

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/visitorstonsw/overseaslicence.html
    Licence requirements

As a temporary overseas visitor, if you hold a current driver licence from another country, you are allowed to drive in NSW on your overseas licence as long as:

You remain a temporary overseas visitor
    Your overseas licence remains current
    You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere and
    You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

You are not required to obtain a NSW licence if you comply with these conditions and can continue to prove your genuine visitor status to NSW Police if required.

Note 1: If you are a licence holder from New Zealand, you must obtain a NSW driver licence within three months of residing in NSW or you must stop driving.

Note 2: Australian citizens who reside overseas and are not permanent residents of Australia are allowed to drive in NSW on a current overseas licence as an international visitor. There is no need to apply for the issue or renewal of a NSW licence.

When driving in NSW you must carry your overseas driver licence. Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in English, you must either carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit.

If you are a temporary overseas visitor and you wish to obtain a NSW licence see Temporary overseas visitors obtaining a NSW licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Sorry to hijack thread

In the post this morning I recieved a speeding fine for $150 and 2 demerit points.. The infringment was dated th 28th of feb..

I had since applied for and had granted my WA drivers Licence, it should arrive this week in the mail.
    Will the demerit points count on my WA Licence or will they be on my Irish Licence as I has incurred them defore I had applied for my WA Licence

Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement