Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got an email today - Is it a scam

• 26-03-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Got this today and was going to reply to let them know they had the wrong person/address but having second thoughts now.
    On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM, STOTT, PHILLIP L (ATTCINW) <ps352t@att.com> wrote:
    Dear Eden,

You were recently had a visit to our ATT store in Seekonk, we appreciate your business and wanted to extend a thank you for being part of the ATT community. I would also like to make sure that the experience you had in our store was memorable and that you were completely satisfied with the service that you received. If you were not completely satisfied with your visit please let me know what we could do to correct that. Once again thank you for your business! If you have any questions or concerns please call our store at [URL="tel:508-336-0803"]508-336-0803[/URL] press option 2 twice to get connected to the store or call my cell phone [URL="tel:508-493-8251"]508-493-8251[/URL].

Thanks!

Phillip Stott
    Assistant Store Manager

211c Highland Ave (Rt 6)
    Seekonk, MA 02771

work-[URL="tel:508-336-0803"]508-336-0803[/URL]
    cell-[URL="tel:508-493-8251"]508-493-8251[/URL]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Just ignore it. It could be either but replying isn't going to help them. They could be phishing to see if the email account is active or it could be an honest mistake. I once got a licence for fishing and hunting sent to my email address from Ohio State government. The name and the address it was registered to was correct (as in it existed in Ohio) but I've no idea how they managed to send it to my email address

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Good advice above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Once I read the title 'Got an email today - Is it a scam' I knew the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

"You were recently had a visit"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm going to go against the crowd here and say it appears to be a case of mistaken identity. It doesn't bear any hallmarks of a scam, and a quick Google of the number he gave confirms that it is, in fact, a genuine ATT store AND the assistant store manager's name on the site matches the name on the e-mail.

Scammers never use ATT e-mail addresses because you need ID verification to get one so depending on how you feel, you could either reply to the e-mail address he gave you advising him he got the wrong person, or just ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Awful grammar mistakes like 'you were recently had a visit' are always dead give aways, although not all the scam emails have bad english so you have to be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tods

if you dont know who it is...you dont know them business or otherwise, anyone contacting you, busting a move on your space, should establish their credentials on the outset, make no interference or implied request of intent with your business or personal affairs. They should only merely offer the ability to supplement/provide/supply your business in clear concise terms with a required service, clearly stating costs and terms. mails in your spam, are mails in your spam...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Laisurg wrote: »
    Awful grammar mistakes like 'you were recently had a visit' are always dead give aways, although not all the scam emails have bad english so you have to be careful.
    *Speaking of grammar mistakes, "giveaway" is one word, "English" is always capitalised, and there's a hyphen between the "e" and the "mail" in "e-mail", although your post wasn't spam, and it is rather early in the morning, so we'll write those off as a gesture of goodwill. :pac:

*Light-hearted post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks guys I deleted it anyway, better safe than sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

danjo-xx wrote: »
    thanks guys I deleted it anyway, better safe than sorry.
    That should be the general rule when it come to this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Prob a mistake, I googled the managers name:

http://www.manta.com/c/mtmfhjr/at-t-store
    At&T Store
    211 Highland Avenue
    Seekonk, MA 02771-5807 map
    (508) 336-0803
    phillip.stott@att.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

psni wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the crowd here and say it appears to be a case of mistaken identity. It doesn't bear any hallmarks of a scam, and a quick Google of the number he gave confirms that it is, in fact, a genuine ATT store AND the assistant store manager's name on the site matches the name on the e-mail.

Scammers never use ATT e-mail addresses because you need ID verification to get one so depending on how you feel, you could either reply to the e-mail address he gave you advising him he got the wrong person, or just ignore it.

I definitely wouldn't respond to it because if it was a scam that confirms the account is active to the scammer, so expect to be bombarded with spams and scams.

Advertisement