Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I set up these things myself or go through a company?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

First day of doing Oz arrangements, went and got flight quotes.

Also I saw..

USIT:
    1yr WHV
    1yr Travel Insurance
    Free Sim Card with $10 credit
    Free Bank Account and Tax File Number.
    =€399

Visafirst.ie:
    1yr WHV
    Free Sim Card with $10 credit
    Free Bank Account and Tax file number.
    =€245

Can I set up these things all by myself or should I go through a company? Is it worth going through a company to take the hassle out of it? Or is it straightforward enough by yourself?

If by myself I have looked up where I should apply, just need confirmation that they are the right page/not filling in the wrong form.:eek:

Tax File Number:
    This the correct page to apply?

Is also says:
    'Applying for a TFN should take about 20 minutes. You will be asked to enter details including your passport or travel document number, a postal address in Australia where your TFN can be sent, your legal name and other names you use or have used and contact details for yourself or your preferred contact person.'
    I'm in Ireland, therefore don't have an address in Australia. Is that ok? Can I still apply? I have Australian cousins so can enter their address?

Working holiday Visa:
    Start the application at the bottom of this page, is this correct?
    cost: $235 so €171?

As for travel insurance, need to check into that...is back packers insurance enough? or must I take out actual health insurance? How much roughly would I be looking at for insurance?

Bank account..must I wait until I'm in the country to apply? Any recommendations for banks to use?(or not to use even!!)

Sim card..buy when I'm there i guess? Buy a phone with sim or use Irish phone and put sim in?

Many thanks in advance for reading/advise/help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

245?!?!

WHV - free, do it on the net.
    SIM card - costs $5-10 in any shop. Don't know the latest deals so can't recommend.
    Bank AC - takes a second to organise. Commonwealth have great net banking.
    TFN - you've got a months grace on the TFN, so it usually isn't an issue. Takes 10 minutes to fill out and it'll be out to you in a week. Chances are you won't have work by then.
    Travel insurance - haven't priced it for a while

How are these guys still on business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Vorsprung wrote: »
    245?!?!

WHV - free, do it on the net.

Its not free its $235

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Sorry, you're right. Excuse my brain fart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

By the way the USIT staff should buy you dinner first because at euro 399 your about to get ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Visa can be done online yourself. Bank can be set up online from Ireland. Check sticky for links. Tax file free online when you get there. Sim card $2. Insurance. Google. Don't pay usit or anyone else more than you have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Thanks for yer replies folks..much appreciated!

Are the pages that I found to apply for WHV and TFN correct? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

E.E.T wrote: »
    Thanks for yer replies folks..much appreciated!

Are the pages that I found to apply for WHV and TFN correct? :)

Go to Multi-trip.ie is doing insurance for only 120 euro for the year

My last experience with a Visa company resulted in my girlfriend not getting any money for a $40,000 surgery which she needed as a result from hurting her wrist in an accident in work in New York. The Visa company we were with said the health insurance we had with them didn't cover it... absolute joke

Moral of the story? Do everything yourself, its easy and you what your covered for... and you dont have to deal with any bull**** middlemen

Advertisement