Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Farrell you've shown your true colours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Confirms everything that I thought about this person.

These actions are the lowest of the low.

Why did you hire your wife Alan after she had already been rejected from a job job you put her forward for?

Please account for your decisions.

Who else did you interview for this job?

23wnres.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Why did you hire your wife Alan after she had already been rejected from a job job you put her forward for?

Please account for your decisions.

23wnres.jpg

He announced on Twitter today in response to a comment about shopping in Mothercare that his wife is pregnant. Congrats, obviously maternity leave in the Dail is better than her last job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Seeing as he posted here I was always reluctant to get into a sniping match with him. I know sometimes here we can we can have a go at each other but I always had a feeling he was sneeky. This confirms it for me.

While I was never a F.G voter I had considered voting for them somewhere along the line but what a week of sh*t they have given us, Moriarty linking the some big hitters like Phil Hogan, their former minister Mr. Lowrey and now this on our door step.

Just looking at the quote above from Bluetonic where do we go from here considering what they have been saying while in opposition?

I am stunned at his cheek.

Will he be more Maverick the Leo Veradker?

LeoB wrote: »
    Seeing as he posted here I was always reluctant to get into a sniping match with him. I know sometimes here we can we can have a go at each other but I always had a feeling he was sneeky. This confirms it for me.

While I was never a F.G voter I had considered voting for them somewhere along the line but what a week of sh*t they have given us, Moriarty linking the some big hitters like Phil Hogan, their former minister Mr. Lowrey and now this on our door step.

Just looking at the quote above from Bluetonic where do we go from here considering what they have been saying while in opposition?

I am stunned at his cheek.

Will he be more Maverick the Leo Veradker?

Well from what some of the blatant FG supporters in the Politics have been saying FG have tried to discourage this sort of thing but Mr Farrell seems to be establishing himself as back bench material at an impressive rate by his current actions.

I am generally impressed by LeoV, he is a very smart guy, qualified Doctor who doesn't trade on the Dr title like some, says what he thinks do you might not always agree, represents part of the Fingal council area so not a stranger to NCD and actually uses public transport himself which isn't a bad thing for a Transport Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Well from what some of the blatant FG supporters in the Politics have been saying FG have tried to discourage this sort of thing but Mr Farrell seems to be establishing himself as back bench material at an impressive rate by his current actions.

I am generally impressed by LeoV, he is a very smart guy, qualified Doctor Postman who doesn't trade on the title like some, says what he thinks do you might not always agree, represents part of the Fingal council area so not a stranger to NCD and actually uses public transport himself which isn't a bad thing for a Transport Minister.

Jeasus I thought you meant LeoB there for a minute.

Yeah I agree on LeoV but only recently, he has most certainly grown into his high profile/front bench role. Not so sure Mr Farrell will be as successful. LeoV spoke out on numerous things that went a little against Enda Kenny and his policy(S) at the time but Mr Farrell is just going against the whole public tide. And now Ms Doyle will be off on Maternity leave!

Back in a while lads, Just going to see if Mrs LeoB will drive postvan for me next Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

That's disgraceful. The cheek! :mad:

LeoB wrote: »
    Jeasus I thought you meant LeoB there for a minute.

Yeah I agree on LeoV but only recently, he has most certainly grown into his high profile/front bench role. Not so sure Mr Farrell will be as successful. LeoV spoke out on numerous things that went a little against Enda Kenny and his policy(S) at the time but Mr Farrell is just going against the whole public tide. And now Ms Doyle will be off on Maternity leave!

Back in a while lads, Just going to see if Mrs LeoB will drive postvan for me next Wednesday

Yes I was just going to write Leo in my reply but I thought the comments might go to your head!!!

The last time I heard Mr Farrell had not established a constituency office and well these things usually come in 3s so why not use the family house!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Probably had the interview over breakfast...

153055.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Corsendonk wrote: »

I am generally impressed by LeoV, he is a very smart guy, qualified Doctor who doesn't trade on the Dr title like some, says what he thinks do you might not always agree, represents part of the Fingal council area so not a stranger to NCD and actually uses public transport himself which isn't a bad thing for a Transport Minister.

He also showed up in the VIP box of one of Ireland's cricket world cup matches just after being elected. I wonder if he got the bus there :pac:

Back on-topic, disgraceful behaviour from deputy Farrell. How such a "young" TD can think this would be ok on the back of so many election promises about "change" really boggles the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It's interesting that no comment has been made at all. Other than her email signature as quoted in the article, we have no way of knowing if she is covering the job, has been given the position full time or otherwise. Ms Doyle may be covering the position until the successful person at interview stage is free to take it up. If Mr Farrell only conducted the interviews last week and the candidate chosen had 1 months notice to serve in their current position then this may be the case. Or not.

Comments like she'll now be entitled to maternity leave are misleading. All women who have PRSI stamps for the relevant year are entitled to claim maternity benefit & leave. It wouldn't matter where she were working. We have no idea of any of the additional arrangements that the position may have. Generally though most positions don't offer top ups or additional maternity benefits without an employee being in a job for a minimum period - which would certainly be longer than 6 months and normally 1-2 years in the public/civil service.

Ms Doyle has plenty of qualifications to entitle her to apply for the position alright. I have to say though as I have worked for family for a long time that in my experience it is the most difficult type of role I have ever held. That's saying something. I do not envy either of them one bit if she is indeed his fulltime parliamentary assistant.

If she is the best candidate for the role then I have no objection to her holding it. Nepotism in Wikipedia is defined as:
    Nepotism is favoritism granted to relatives or friends regardless of merit.
    If she has merit and is qualified for the role then I don't see where the term applies.

Mind you there was nothing stopping her from applying for a similar role with the other FG TD in the constituency which would have given her some small degree of separation.

I do think that unless one or both of them makes a public statement on the matter they will continue to struggle to be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

So none of you would secure posts for you wife/kids/relatives/friends if you were in his position? considering the amount of this that has gone on during the boom I`d estimate its very common and everyone does it. I don`t understand the shock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

theg81der wrote: »
    So none of you would secure posts for you wife/kids/relatives/friends if you were in his position? considering the amount of this that has gone on during the boom I`d estimate its very common and everyone does it. I don`t understand the shock?

Possibly the fact that hes on 100k per annum and thats enough for one family to be earning - let someone else earn an income for their family given the times we're in

theg81der wrote: »
    You are wrong.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Back on-topic, disgraceful behaviour from deputy Farrell. How such a "young" TD can think this would be ok on the back of so many election promises about "change" really boggles the mind.

I think the people of North Dublin elected Mr Farrell on the fact he was young and was there to change things not repeat the mistakes of the past. People were fed up of the same old nepotism that ruled Irish politics since the Civil War or freeloaders just turning up to the Dail. Mr Farrell looked the real deal. Here we had a young guy who had left school and ventured into the real world of the private sector, no political family ties, he could have made more money in his career but in 2004 decided to get into local politics for the good of his community. The 7 years in the Council was just long enough to upskill him for a run at the Dail and not too long to fall into the cronyism so he may be "young" but shouldn't be as naive as he appears with his recent actions, brazen more like.

I had some doubts about him myself namely how he was so uninformed about the financial situation at Sporting Fingal when he was a supporter, match steward, member of the council that had two thirds of the board at the end, contacts in the local business community. Yet when SF went belly up it was more like a sigh and a few tweets and a post how terribly sad it was. If he had any get up and go he should have been asking questions 6 months out at least, it might have helped them stay alive. He strikes me as a politician that likes to be around good news stories but when the going gets tough its a smile and handshake and his has to be somewhere else real quickly. We had enough of them in the last Dail. Fingers in ears like the incident with the press at the US ambassdors ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

You are wrong.

Didn`t say I would but people are human and I`m sure there would be an insidence where you might do similarly given the opportunite - never say never!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There is a thread already going in Politics about this. As it is not a DCN-specific topic please post further comment in that forum.
    Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056219989

Thanks,

HB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement