Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendations

Options
  • 26-03-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

hi lads

im going to be buying a butt bag in the next week or so and wanted to know what you would recommend.

i will be using it only on the range and its for a custom .308 with an accuracy stock.
    was thinking of something along the lines of this.

p_749008022_1.jpg

any suggestions or recommendatons are welcome

tommy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To be honest you've hit the nail fairly square on the head there. The Edgewood line of rests are top quality. The Gator line especially for FTr or Benchrest. They're not overly expensive, but if you are looking for a cheaper, quicker option you could buy the Caldwell rear bag, and do as i did.

I cut a piece of 3/4" timber the same size as the bag. I then used glue on the screws, a washer and screwed the timber to the bag. The glue "seals" the hole, but is only a precaution as the screws do not allow any sand out. Also if i need to i carry 3 pieces of spare timber bases of various depths to attach to he bag that gives me extra lift if needed.

One thing to watch for. The rear of the AICS that rides the bag (stop laughing) is somewhat square. So if the ears of the bag are "touching" as they meet at the main base there is a V that the rear of the stock may not sit properly into. If you could find a bag that has a 1/2" gap between the ears it may sit better. Thats not to say it will not work, but it could be a better option.

No matter the choice make sure whatever bag you go for has a timber/flat/solid base or attach one to it later. Otherwise the bag has a tendancy to lean or roll to one side during firing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Ezridax wrote: »
    The rear of the AICS that rides the bag (stop laughing)

still laughing:D

i had to fill a butt bag once before and it wasn't the most fun thing to do any suggestions as to what method to use?

tommy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There are 3 things i would use to fill the bag.

Sand.
    Rice.
    Plastic pellets.

Or even any combination of them. Sand is good, but as you said a pain in the ass to fill. Its slow and if its even a little damp ............ forget about it. Rice is also good, but i use a small bit of sand so there is not too much "gaps" or air pockets. You still want a solid and heavy bag. The plastic pellets are great, but they lack the weight of the others.

I usually pull out the filler flap, and pry it open then insert a long necked funnel. Keep the bag pointed in such a way so that the filler flap is the highest point. This way it fills up to the flap and every inch of the bag is full. I also use an "ancient chinese poking device" (chopstick) or something similar to keep the flap clear and make sure the bag is filling properly.

There is no real easy way. Its designed to keep the stuff in so that means its as hard to get sand, etc in as it is to get out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Got to say, I'm pretty happy with my set up:

1 sock (smell optional)
    1 plastic bag (no holes)
    Some polypropelene beads (won't leak out, won't swell with water).

Price? Don't know, pretty damn cheap though :D

Advertisement