Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help-got scammed buying tickets

Options
  • 26-03-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

Hoping someone may be able to help... I bought so called tickets to the Irl v Eng game via a uk vendor... VERY Genuine guy I thought.. didn't want to use pay pal, wanted to do a bank transfer as why would he sell fakes when I would have all his account details... got scanned copy of tickets ( all his bank details, first 2 lines of his address etc in order to be able to do the transfer ) - exchanged a load of emails... tickets never arrived... so got onto my bank who requested a refund of transfered money due to a fradulent transaction - his bank in the UK came back replying the funds were gone from the account so couldn't be transfered back..
    Surely my bank can treat this a fraud??? Should their not be a procedure they can follow?? Am 250 out of pocket... ( Am kicking myself that he tu:mad:rned out to be a fake as always said I would never be that person that got scammed..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Your only recourse is to report it to the Gardai, who can then deal with the UK police.

The banks have no further power to deal with the matter if the money is already gone.

At this stage, it's highly unlikely you'll get anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Also his bank account will still be in use until the police are sure a crime has been committed afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Very genuine, tickets, overseas and bank transfer are words that never go well together.

Your only hope is to send all records of communication to his bank and perhaps to the police and see what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Something tells me that if I lived in the UK and had two tickets to what was potentially a Grand Slam match in Dublin that I'd be looking for a lot more than 250 euros for the pair.

You should have asked him to scan his driving licence and passport while he was scanning the tickets, that would have flushed him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

This sounds very similiar to a case that was in the papers a few weeks ago where a journalist got scammed when purchasing a camera.
    Genuine looking website that was advertised in gmail. But they told him that they charged €70 for credit card. Whereas if he transferred the money via bank transfer then he would have no charges.
    Needless to say, the camera never arrived.
    The journalist was shocked at how neither the police or garda cared and there was next to nothing that could be done to get his money back.

Sorry OP, but I think you will have to take this one on the chin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Even with a police investigation, you will not get that money back. Don't be holding out hope for it, or depending on getting it back. It's gone, and there's very little you can do.

The crime was committed in the UK, so you may not even be able to report it to the Gardai here. You may need to contact the Police in the are that the scammer claimed to be living, and give them all the detail. Since the bank account has already been cleared out though, you can pretty much guarantee that the scammer is long gone, and any address or identification given will have been fake/stolen/skimmed. He probably sold those same tickets dozens, or perhaps hundreds of times.

Advertisement