Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another cleaning question

Options
  • 26-03-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

i have heard so many lads say that when your cleaning your barrell and you run a brush up the barrel and it comes out the muzzel you should not pull it back down the barrel. they say you should disconnect the brush from the rod and then pull the rod back out and attatch the brush again. i spoke with a gunsmith and he told me this was rubbish that a brush wont damage the crown. just wondering what your opinion is?

tommy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A brush (bronze or Nylon) is not strong enough (material wise) to damage the crown of your rifle. So the brush is not at fault. After saying that i never use a bronze brush. Not because i'm fearful it could cause damage i just don't see the need to scrub the crap out of your barrel. Thats what the cleaning solution should do. The brush is just to aggitate the fouling so for me a Nylon brush does it.

Others will use a bronze brush with absolutely no side effects. I would be more concerned with the rod. As you pull a rod back through the barrel the first thing that makes contact is the "connector" (where the brush screws onto the rod) with the muzzle. So to that end i would make sure it is past the muzzle before pulling the rod back down with any "force".

All in all the barrel of a rifle is strong enough to take the effects of massive pressure, copper bullets, extreme heat, etc over thousands of rounds and it keeps going. A brush will not do any harm. :cool:

Still not a bad idea to give a little though when cleaning.;)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I run the brush back and forth a few times and have never had a problem.

Although, I guess it is possible that you could rub off some of the blue, but not scratch the metal.

If you had a high end rifle or shotty, I may give it a bit of research. But for field or work guns, I would not worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i use a phosfous{think thats how you spell it:D} bronze brush and im slow and careful enough when pulling the rod back so should be ok

tommy

Advertisement