Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Factory Restricted Bike

• 26-03-2011 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Lookin to get a factory restricted bike for the the summer, 600cc ideally. Lookin to spend around 2k, what would ye recommend? Im lookin at Bandits atm, love a sportsbike but havent seen any apart from suzukis gsxr600s which are 5k plus. Nice1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Predator_ wrote: »
    Lookin to get a factory restricted bike for the the summer, 600cc ideally. Lookin to spend around 2k, what would ye recommend? Im lookin at Bandits atm, love a sportsbike but havent seen any apart from suzukis gsxr600s which are 5k plus. Nice1

if you can afford the higher insurance costs (due to aftermarket restriction rather than factory)... get yourself a twin and get a garage to fit an aftermarket restriction kit to it would be my advice...more torque lower down the rev range so seem to be less affected by restriction - will still limit your top speed hugely though...that would be my advice at any rate

performance should still be acceptable...rode a factory restricted kawasaki er-6 or 5 or whatever they are a while back and it was horrible at low revs

also be aware that you cant/its not really advisable to de-restrict a factory restricted bike (as its not just simply a set of washers that can be taken out) - so you will probably end up selling it at the end of the two years to buy whatever you fancy full power....on the plus side they used to have good resale value and hopefully still do/will when you are selling

maybe look into those honda rvf400 - nice looking bike, nice to ride and "I think" they dont need restriction?...not a 600 but a good compromise if they don't need restriction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

predator, Will this be your first bike ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

It depends what you mean by "best", since all FR bikes will be 33 horsepower max / whateveritis Kw/Kg you want to be comparing weights, build quality, design and cost.
    Cost wise, FR bandits are probably your best bet in that price range as the GSXR6 and CBR/Ninja are going to cost a bit more due to their styling.

However power/performance wise a twin such as a SV650 will actually perform better than the IL4's because they make most of their power low in the rev range and torque is not limited in this range as much as power is. I had a FR SV650 and the only time you'd notice the restriction is a 100-120kmph overtake, but you'd have the same problem on any il4 too. At lower speeds and in traffic the twin was just as powerful as an unrestricted bandit. In fact, I even did a track day and rode two up on it (after my test) not a bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

amacca wrote: »
    if you can afford the higher insurance costs (due to aftermarket restriction rather than factory)... get yourself a twin and get a garage to fit an aftermarket restriction kit to it would be my advice...more torque lower down the rev range so seem to be less affected by restriction - will still limit your top speed hugely though...that would be my advice at any rate

performance should still be acceptable...rode a factory restricted kawasaki er-6 or 5 or whatever they are a while back and it was horrible at low revs

also be aware that you cant/its not really advisable to de-restrict a factory restricted bike (as its not just simply a set of washers that can be taken out) - so you will probably end up selling it at the end of the two years to buy whatever you fancy full power....on the plus side they used to have good resale value and hopefully still do/will when you are selling

maybe look into those honda rvf400 - nice looking bike, nice to ride and "I think" they dont need restriction?...not a 600 but a good compromise if they don't need restriction?

AON only recognize factory restrictions. Has to be factory restricted
    predator, Will this be your first bike ?

No had one about 5/6 years ago for 2 years. Thinking of getting back to it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

AON only recognize factory restrictions. Has to be factory restricted
    Most insurers only recognise factory restricted for the discount cheap rates, and will quote you unrestricted prices for any other bike. In the latter case, you obviously have to restrict the bike yourself in order to comply with your license.
    The only thing I noticed (all those years ago) when I got my FR bike, was that the FR bikes were a fraction more expensive compared to unrestricted variants. This was good for me as I was selling mine. The transaction of me going from a FR sv 650 to a sv 1000, was a couple of hundred euro.
    My point being that there's generally a market for FR bikes but supply is limited compared to the unrestricted ones, thus higher prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

I've a factory restricted Bandit 650 - it's a fuel injected one with the restriction done in the ECU. It'll happily go to 10 - 11,000 revs in the lower gears, but not in the higher ones where it seems to top out around 7k. The only time I really feel the lack of power is for overtaking. I've had to hit the anchors fairly hard a few times when it just wouldn't pull away fast enough

Is it just me of is 5k alot for an 05? Im sure ive seen the newer model gixxers for around that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Is it just me of is 5k alot for an 05? Im sure ive seen the newer model gixxers for around that price

Yes, thats a lot for an 05 alright.

I'd recommend the Suzuki SV 650 in factory restricted form. Use it until your restriction is up and sell it as a restricted bike - don't go down the derestriction route.

'cptr

Prefer the look of the Bandits tbh, which is better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Bandit imo

Advertisement