Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera firing off itself?

• 26-03-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

My Canon 50D is firing off shots by itself. I don't even press the shutter its like it just takes off itself.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Could there be a bug in the camera or the memory card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Are they any good? :pac:

Sorry, couldn't resist... No idea about the issue but seems very strange. Is it a persistant problem if you turn the camera off/on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sounds like the button is not releasing correctly.

Turn off the camera, remove the battery, and if it happens again, you may need to have it serviced.

It can't be anything to do with the memory card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Paulw wrote: »
    Sounds like the button is not releasing correctly.

Turn off the camera, remove the battery, and if it happens again, you may need to have it serviced.

It can't be anything to do with the memory card.

Thanks for that Paulw - it probably could do with a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Does the shutter button feel spongey or not click as normal when pressed. You could have a worn out/dirty shutter release amongst other things.
    When the shutter fires does it record an image as if you had intentionally pressed it or is it just the mirror and shutter cycling?

I do repairs so if you are interested give me a PM and Ill get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i had this happen twice with my canon 20D's

both times was shutter replacement, not a nice cost to it sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yeah, i hate to say it but it sounds like you'll need a shutter replacement. Happened to my 30D over the summer. :(

If the camera is firing off and there are no recorded images then it is most likely the shutter at fault but if the camera is simply taking shots and recording them regularly then the shutter is most likely not the problem.

Normally it will rapid fire because of a faulty shutter when the battery is inserted sometimes even when the camera is switched off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

angeleyes wrote: »
    My Canon 50D is firing off shots by itself. I don't even press the shutter its like it just takes off itself.

Gives a whole new meaning the the term "fully automatic" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

You may want to look at this thread about a free canon service clinic. Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

thanks for that flyingsnail - I saw that already but have submissions on those dates so may not get up to Dublin. Bummer timing really.

• Advertisement

Free clinic wont replace a shutter for you and if your shutter is faulty then they wont be able to clean the sensor either.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

I had a similar issue once with my Sony — it turned out I had the wireless release in my back pocket and kept tripping the shutter :D

Advertisement