Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday

Options
  • 26-03-2011 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello, I'm new to the board and after a bit of help please.

I have booked flights and hotel for a party of 6 to arrive in dublin on good friday for 2 nights for my sister in law 2 be's hen do.

We are fom Birmingham and will be joined by the Irish leg of the family on arrival.

Imagine my horror when I discovered that there would be no booze available! Now, we're no alcoholics and a day without alcohol wouldn't normally trouble me - but it is kind of vital on a hen do!

I've spent many easter weekends in Ireland and wasn't even aware of this ban - i suppose because we were drinking in smalltown pubs where these laws haven't been adhered to - afterall - whats a little tipple or 2 between friends!

So, I just wondered is there anywhere in Dublin that turns a blind eye or is it a strictly booze free zone for the day?

I'm taking a lot of stick for organising a dry hen do so would really appreciate your help!

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hotels, train stations and airports can serve drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

stay at the airport, the bar should be open there,although could be for people with an outgoing ticket, not sure,

same with train/bus sations rugby/golf clubs, theatres concert venues are also entitled to open for short periods .

hotels can serve residents in their rooms afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Caila

Thanks for your replies. I thought about staying at the airport but the rest of the family are driving there so I guess wouldn't be allowed in without a ticket?

I also rang the hotel and they said they'd serve us 1:rolleyes: with a meal.

Think it'll have to be the train station. Don't think it was what the bride had in mind for her special weekend but beggars can't be choosers! Any idea which one would be our best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Will the pub at Heuston Station be open? I doubt it counts but if it does that's the only decent place that may be open, the law is strictly adhered to in any large town or city.

You could sort the Irish contingent to buy a load of booze on the Thursday and go crazy in your hotel... not sure how much they'd like that though... Come to think of it did the Irish lot not tell you? They should be the ones getting the stick, its kind of impossible not to know about the good friday ban on alcohol when you live here.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't some of the clubs open at midnight as the law only covers 00:00 to 00:00?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Caila wrote: »

I also rang the hotel and they said they'd serve us 1:rolleyes: with a meal.

1! thats a bit weak I'd consider taking or at least theaten to take your business elsewhere
    You could get the train to Galway, drink on the way down, get the next train back.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't some of the clubs open at midnight as the law only covers 00:00 to 00:00?
    think you could be right plenty of clubs open at midnight xmas eve/st setphens.

any chance of an exemption like they had in limerick last year?
    tbh i thought that would have been the end of the Good Fridey closing lark

• Advertisement

You could sort the Irish contingent to buy a load of booze on the Thursday and go crazy in your hotel... not sure how much they'd like that though... Come to think of it did the Irish lot not tell you? They should be the ones getting the stick, its kind of impossible not to know about the good friday ban on alcohol when you live here.

My thoughts entirely! but they are absolving themselves of any responsility on the grounds that I didn't mention it was Easter weekend when I arranged it back in Jan, I just told them the date. Tut, a technicailty imo! I think they should at least go 50/50 on the whole blame thing. Na - it's all been good natured p1ss taking really, I'm more annoyed with myself than they are with me.

milehip1 wrote: »
    1! thats a bit weak I'd consider taking or at least theaten to take your business elsewhere
    You could get the train to Galway, drink on the way down, get the next train back.

They may have thought I was a garda in disgiuse when I rang or a raving alcoholic (I guess I did sound pretty desperate!) so they could just be saying it's limited to 1, might be a different story when we're there and they see what a perfectly respectable group we are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

La Peniche might be a good option for your group, it's a floating barge restaurant on the canal, they do dinner & drink on Good Friday.

http://www.lapeniche.ie/index.php

Sorry if I'm being thick but why might the pub at heuston not count?

Do all/most of the stations have pubs?

Twenty10 wrote: »
    La Peniche might be a good option for your group, it's a floating barge restaurant on the canal, they do dinner & drink on Good Friday.

http://www.lapeniche.ie/index.php

Perfect!! Thanks ever so much you're a lifesaver, I'll book that tomorrow!

• Advertisement

No, Irish train stations are, em... functional... The bar at heuston is a pub in its own right, it has its own entrance, its own name, and its own regulars, its not just a bar in the corner although it does serve that function. Maybe the little bar will be open but not the big one? I don't know, your best bet probably is to see if anywhere is opening at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Another option, ifyou didnt already have accommodation sorted:

http://www.brooklodge.com/BackstageatBrookLodge.asp

I contemplated this one myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Can you not bring alcohol overseas?

As for airports being open, maybe the duty free lets you buy bottles of alcohol. I'm pretty sure if you can do that, you could just buy the stuff anyway (albiet at a high price). The ban is on selling so if you can bring alcohol with you, then you're sorted.
    Which, I'm pretty sure you can do it on the duty free (it's been over 10 years nearly since I tried duty free).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From memory, the bar in Connolly Station is open to 'bona fide' travellers - so you have to present a valid train ticket to gain entry. A ticket to Drogheda should suffice, and not cost very much.....

Not sure what time it closes though.

Not your ornery onager

Can you not bring alcohol overseas?

As for airports being open, maybe the duty free lets you buy bottles of alcohol. I'm pretty sure if you can do that, you could just buy the stuff anyway (albiet at a high price). The ban is on selling so if you can bring alcohol with you, then you're sorted.
    Which, I'm pretty sure you can do it on the duty free (it's been over 10 years nearly since I tried duty free).

Hiya. The rellies can bring the alcohol - we just need somewhere to drink it. We could sit in our hotel room but we were hoping for a bit more atmosphere.

I think one of you should have a house party and invite us!

Twenty10 wrote: »
    Another option, ifyou didnt already have accommodation sorted:

http://www.brooklodge.com/BackstageatBrookLodge.asp

I contemplated this one myself :)

That looks great. Sadly I've already paid for the hotel and its non-refundable :mad:

Caila wrote: »
    I think one of you should have a house party and invite us!

If you had been on boards longer you would think twice before asking that question... never know where you might wind up!

Ah sure relive your teenage years skulling naggins in the park, it was fun at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭brick tamland

The Laughter lounge was open last good friday im sure

You'll have to pay in but it was serving drink

Failing that do some places still open @ 12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Esel wrote: »
    From memory, the bar in Connolly Station is open to 'bona fide' travellers - so you have to present a valid train ticket to gain entry. A ticket to Drogheda should suffice, and not cost very much.....

Not sure what time it closes though.

wonder would a dart ticket let you in ? lol

to tara street, just for the laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

true wrote: »
    wonder would a dart ticket let you in ? lol
    "Yeah, I'm a bona-fide traveller - to Kilbarrack!" :pac: Don't think that would get you in...

You don't have to actually board the Drogheda train, you know. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

Im sure ull find a bar open in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Bring booze over with you and bring it to a restaurant that allows you to drink your own booze there. Get a huge meal and stay there as long as you like and have fun! Here's a list of places where you can bring your own:

http://www.byob.ie/index.php/restaurant-guide?catid=22

Also this place is good fun (and no corkage):

http://www.rotanacafe.ie/

Maybe phone in advance to see if they have a problem doing so on Good Friday but since you're not buying the booze there, technically, it's perfectly legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

cosmic wrote: »
    Bring booze over with you and bring it to a restaurant that allows you to drink your own booze there. Get a huge meal and stay there as long as you like and have fun! Here's a list of places where you can bring your own:

http://www.byob.ie/index.php/restaurant-guide?catid=22

Also this place is good fun (and no corkage):

http://www.rotanacafe.ie/

Maybe phone in advance to see if they have a problem doing so on Good Friday but since you're not buying the booze there, technically, it's perfectly legal.

The Irish, if you can't buy alcohol, then we'll bring it over and find a place to legally drink it; bending the rules since alcohol was invented. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The Irish, if you can't buy alcohol, then we'll bring it over and find a place to legally drink it; bending the rules since alcohol was invented. :D
    But the irish also made the ridiculous rules that they are bending!

Advertisement