Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog questions?

• 26-03-2011 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

I have 2 dogs, an 10/11 year old black labrador, and a 7 month old mix(Sheepdog and something else, have no idea:P) I just have a few questions about them, mainly my older dog..
    My black lab has had fleas for quite some time, and she then gave them to our younger dog. I used a flea bath on both, and about 2 frontlines each(over the space of about 2 months).. My pup's fleas seem to have gone, but my dog is constantly scratching. I've discovered that on the side of her stomach a lot of fur is gone, and she scratches there a lot. Could this be mange or something? The nearest vet is about 20 miles away and the last time we went she threw up in the car, also does it cost anything to just visit the vet?(If so how much on average?) I know that labs only have a life span of about 12 years, and my dad said that he thinks she will die soon :( So I want to let her have an enjoyable year/s left, without this scratching and stuff.

Also, just want to know if I could take my dogs with me for a cycle? I live in the countryside and I usually do a 1 or 2 mile cycle around, so am wondering would it hurt my older dog's joints, or if my younger dog would be able for it? I could cycle a short distance slowly and return home if they wouldn't be able, just want to get them some exercise :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The scratching problem could be anything, minor or something more serious, and the only way to find out is to bring the dog to see a vet. Hair loss and very persistent scratching needs to be checked by a vet. Price will depend on where you are in the country and the practice you use so give them a ring and ask how much a consultation is. Medication etc. will be added on top of this price. Labs can live far beyond 12, some live longer and some live sorter lives but this is not the cut off by any means. Until you see a vet, you will not know how to stop the scratching and it could be a very simple solution that would really ease the problem and give a lot of relief to the dog.

On the cycling front - puppies need to be walked for 5 minutes per month of age (so a 7 month old dog needs about 35 minutes walk per day). A long cycle may be a bit tough on a young dog and put stress on growing joints so perhaps just bring the pup for a brisk walk instead. Some play and training during the day will help burn off excess energy. Older dogs are less about for strenuous exercise and need something more gentle. If the dog is stiff, carrying a bit of excess weight or generally getting on, a long cycle may be too much for it. A steady walk of about half an hour would be fine for an older dog and wouldn't push them too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Regarding the scratching and loss of fur, I would really get it checked out. If it's causing your dog a lot of discomfort it's unfair to leave it. I know my little one has been back & forth to the vets over scratching issues, it can be a variety of things.

Most vets will charge a consultation fee, and that varies with vets. Could be anything from 30-65, you could ring up your vet & enquire as to the fee so at least you know before you go.

Cycling with the dogs, I'm not really experienced enough to say whether the older one would be able to keep up or not, or if it would be good for their joints. I reckon the younger one though is too young yet, it's not good to have them running for long periods when they're still growing. This can damage growing joints.

If you were at the vets with the older one, you could ask them to give their advice on if they feel the dog would be able for running alongside you cycling too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

SeanMadd wrote: »
    I used a flea bath on both, and about 2 frontlines each(over the space of about 2 months)..

+1 about getting your lab checked by a vet.

I am surprised the flea bath didn't work. The frontline liquid tabs only prevent fleas and should be given at least every 3 months (they won't work if the dog already has fleas.)

If a dog already has fleas, my vet gives me a container of Frontline Spray that I spray over the dog's coat which kills the fleas. Maybe you could try that? (http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/frontline-spray_1_39307.html)

On the cycling with your pets, I'd say the Lab is too old and the pup too young. Also be careful when doing it, if you decide to. The dog could easily spot something and go running in front of the bike casuing you to hit the dog and come off the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

paultf wrote: »
    +1 about getting your lab checked by a vet.

I am surprised the flea bath didn't work. The frontline liquid tabs only prevent fleas and should be given at least every 3 months (they won't work if the dog already has fleas.)

If a dog already has fleas, my vet gives me a container of Frontline Spray that I spray over the dog's coat which kills the fleas. Maybe you could try that? (http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/frontline-spray_1_39307.html)

Frontline liquid tabs work the same as the spray, they do kill fleas. My old vet used to say the tabs were for lazy dog and cat owners:D

OP, what do you feed the dogs, it could be an allergy to something in the food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

ISDW wrote: »
    Frontline liquid tabs work the same as the spray, they do kill fleas. My old vet used to say the tabs were for lazy dog and cat owners:D

Oh, alright. I was told that if a dog has already fleas that the spray would work quicker and better - I suppose it takes a while for the liquid tabs to get into the dogs's system.

I always use the tabs every 3 months as a preventive measure. Once when I got a new pup and bought her to the vets to get checked, she had fleas - the vet used the spray and that killed the fleas straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

paultf wrote: »
    Oh, alright. I was told that if a dog has already fleas that the spray would work quicker and better - I suppose it takes a while for the liquid tabs to get into the dogs's system.

I always use the tabs every 3 months as a preventive measure. Once when I got a new pup and bought her to the vets to get checked, she had fleas - the vet used the spray and that killed the fleas straight away.

I think there probably is better coverage with the spray, you can ensure that it gets all over the dog.

Advertisement