Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coombe

Options
  • 26-03-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hey Ladies,

I'm going to be working in the Coombe for the next month or so and was just wondering what the parking is like around there? I believe there is a car park? Is it pay and display?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's pay parking at the end of the day and VERY expensive... 24 a day I think... well that's what himself was charged one of the days after Saoirse was born last year... I think there is a staff car park though? I know the guys in security let Dave park there when he was collecting me and Saoirse?

Maybe inquire if you could get a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Hopefully I'll get staff parking! If not I can claim on expenses anyway. Can't be any worse than trying to park around Holles St!

Car park can fill up pretty quickly in the mornings so arrive early if your on an early shift... You'd see the queue building up from the ward in the mornings with people trying to get in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FutureMom2Two

It's nearly always chaotic at the Coombe for parking. I'm sure you'll be fine though probably get into the staff car park or something.

To Butt in on your topic. Anyone know is there any special allowances for cases like me?
    I'm a public patient in the Coombe on a medical card.
    I'm 31weeks pregnant with twins and had complications up and down since the start of this pregnancy.
    We're now feeling the pinch big time and I'm required to attend the hospital for two to three days a week including on Mondays
    I need to go for scan (takes about 2hours waiting) Go home and then back again in the afternoon for consult another 1-2hours waiting)
    So we need to pay for parking for 6/8hours per week and then even worse if If I have emergency admission that week that instantly bring it up to 12/18hours per week of parking costs and parking.
    We were managing when I was only in once every two weeks but now it's ridiculous it's just grossly overpriced they're taking advantage of patients having problems as we're the ones in there most often and I can't not bring the car as we live 30km away and I'm in a high risk pregnancy.
    I know revenue needs to be collected but should the really be charging patients at all?
    It'd be alot more decent to charge visitors only.

I'd write a letter to the master of the hospital outlining it and ask if there's anything they can do... worth a shot, all they can say is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

There's some free parking on st.anthonys road off the south circular road. I parked there when I had visits. It's not the best road so font leave anything on show in your car but I never had a problem. Get your husband to drop you off, he can then park the car and meet you in the hospital and go get the car after your appointment and pick you up at the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I no there a staff parking to the left and patients to the right.

FutureMum2Two can you not park your car on one of the side streets or park in town and get the bus up. I use to use buses for my appointments as it works out cheaper. You can get a dublin bus ticket for 10 trips for only €18.50, the bus stops right outside hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

To Butt in on your topic. Anyone know is there any special allowances for cases like me?

The Lidl just up the road from the Coombe has an underground carpark & it's free if you buy something in there, they validate your ticket for you. There's also free parking on the little streets behind it if the parking lot is full (just park on the first street you come to after the car park (either to the left or the right) and not the second street as it is pretty dodgy. Fingal St or Maxwell St here and not Eugene St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

crazy cat lady you will qualify for staff parking, it's a bit mad, sometimes people double park but everyone leaves their number on the dash and will expect you to do the same. just stop at the cabin on your way in on your first morning.

futuremom2two you should speak to the social workers when you're next in the hospital, they should be able to organise something for you, if you don't fancy going straight to them then say it to your midwife, she might mention it to the security guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

CrazyCatLady, its actually fairly reasonable if you can get away to move your car a couple of times in the day - its only about E2.50 for the first four hours but then its about the same for every hour after that, so if you can move it every four hours, assuming you're on a 12 hour shift, it mightn't be so bad....
    Possibly not ideal in the long term, but if you were stuck for a couple of days??

• Advertisement
Advertisement