Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse in Backyard.. ?

• 26-03-2011 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Ok, Im not sure if this is the right place to post so please feel free to move mods..

Im asking this on behalf of a friend.

Living in a small council estate (45 houses)
    Majority of families have mortgages though including my friends house.
    Neighbours have been keeping a horse in their backyard in a small homemade stable which they built.
    Horse is in no way neglected and very well looked after but they say they have nowhere else to put her as they do not own land.

Because they have a mortgage on their house are they entitled to do this?

Thanks in advance for replies..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Is the house owned by the council or owned by the occupants. If owned by the council there may be a clause re what animals can be kept on the propery. If owned by the occupants, subject to any local by laws, its up to them. Having a mortgage doesnt restrict the occupants on how they live in the house.

years ago I know someone who kept a horse in their back garden in a house in the suburbs. They had access to land beside them and regularly exercised the horse there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

could be the rubber bandits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Inexile wrote: »
    Is the house owned by the council or owned by the occupants. If owned by the council there may be a clause re what animals can be kept on the propery. If owned by the occupants, subject to any local by laws, its up to them. Having a mortgage doesnt restrict the occupants on how they live in the house.

years ago I know someone who kept a horse in their back garden in a house in the suburbs. They had access to land beside them and regularly exercised the horse there.

Thanks for the reply.

Appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Check out this link here

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

MaryK666 wrote: »
    Check out this link here

Just looked at the link. Does anyone know how to find out what areas are considered 'control areas'? How do they become control areas? There are many horses tied up in front gardens and tied up in the park over the road over night, in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Does anyone know how to find out what areas are considered 'control areas'? How do they become control areas?

It's up to individual councils to implement the by-laws, check with the vetrinary office of your county/city council.

Advertisement