Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Chinese Chinarello

• 26-03-2011 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

Does anyone here have, or know someone who has a Chinarello?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

I understand that they make most of the unbranded frames that are sold on places like eBay, but they only fit all top components to the Chinarello bikes and do a supper paint job on their branded bikes, as far as I know they don’t sell Chinarello branded frames only fully built bikes. Also as far as I know they will replicate any paint scheme of any bike for $300

I dont know about the quality

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=241785&page=15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CormacCormac

They look very impressive. What im wondering is this... Are the frames the same as the pinarellos, are they made in the same factory etc, and are they cheap because they are unbranded. Or is it a case of a random frame manufacturer just copying the pinarello design?

They look very impressive. What im wondering is this... Are the frames the same as the pinarellos, are they made in the same factory etc, and are they cheap because they are unbranded. Or is it a case of a random frame manufacturer just copying the pinarello design?

No not at all, they don’t even look alike, there’s a guy in Navan trying to sell one with Most Charisma wheels the frame even at a distance looks nothing like a Pinarello it was in Prince of Spain colours with ONDA written on a straight fork, the wheels were of the poorest quality and the paint was very good but up close there were runs on the seattube and around the BB it was the worsed copy of anything that I have ever seen

Oh right, well thanks for letting me know, will avoid them. There are a couple of good pictures online, but I guess you could get unlucky and get a rubbish one too!

PinarelloFSA.jpg

Oh right, well thanks for letting me know, will avoid them. There are a couple of good pictures online, but I guess you could get unlucky and get a rubbish one too!

PinarelloFSA.jpg

If I could afford that I would hope to be able to afford Ultremo tyres for it

• Advertisement

Thats just one of the Chinarellos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I understand that they make most of the unbranded frames that are sold on places like eBay, but they only fit all top components to the Chinarello bikes and do a supper paint job on their branded bikes, as far as I know they don’t sell Chinarello branded frames only fully built bikes. Also as far as I know they will replicate any paint scheme of any bike for $300

I dont know about the quality

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=241785&page=15

Sorry, what?????

Chinarello is simply the name given to a Chinese made Pinarello Clone frame.
    Who is 'They'??
    The sellers listed on Alibaba and Ebay selling unbranded frames are simply sellers, not manufacturers.
    Archteks on Alibaba and Hong-Fu are two of the better recognised sellers of unbranded carbon frames, rims, bars, seatposts etc.
    I have a carbon MTB frame from Archteks, and it is excellent.
    Another guy in the club has a carbon road frame, but I cannot remember if it's a Pinarello Clone, but he is happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Real Pinarellos are made in Taiwan.

Lumen wrote: »
    Real Pinarellos are made in Taiwan.

And the theory is re the clones is that they use the same moulds with some minor differences like cable route points etc to say they are a different frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

Why would anyone want to buy a "hooky" Pinerello frame? Anyone who knew anything about bikes would spot it a mile away ..... it's like the guys who used to stick "Turbo" stickers on the back of their GL Fiestas! And if I hear that "They're made in the same factory" one again ...... is it really likely that any factory who have a contract with Pinerello would take a chance on loosing it by selling cheap "knock offs" out the back door?

• Advertisement

RPL1 wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to buy a "hooky" Pinerello frame? Anyone who knew anything about bikes would spot it a mile away ..... it's like the guys who used to stick "Turbo" stickers on the back of their GL Fiestas! And if I hear that "They're made in the same factory" one again ...... is it really likely that any factory who have a contract with Pinerello would take a chance on loosing it by selling cheap "knock offs" out the back door?

Since Pinarellos are made in Taiwan, and Taiwan is not in China (unless you're the Chinese government), then by definition a "Chinarello" cannot be made in the same factory as a Pinarello.

I imagine it's pretty straightforward to create a mould from a frame, so the question is to what extent the "qualities" of a Pinarello (e.g. superb ride quality, stiffness and handling, or just being really heavy, depending on your viewpoint) are based on shape and size vs manufacturing process and quality control. I have no idea.

The most amusing bit of the "Made in Italy" thing is that (so the internet says) in order to be badged as such a certain proportion of the "value" must be added in Italy, which essentially puts a floor on the price. If Pinarellos were cheaper the "value add" would cross the threshold and they couldn't be sold as "Made in Italy", so you are literally paying for that sticker. Or so I've read. I could be just repeating garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No not at all, they don’t even look alike, there’s a guy in Navan trying to sell one with Most Charisma wheels the frame even at a distance looks nothing like a Pinarello it was in Prince of Spain colours with ONDA written on a straight fork, the wheels were of the poorest quality and the paint was very good but up close there were runs on the seattube and around the BB it was the worsed copy of anything that I have ever seen

Is that a fake yeah? Did you go see it? Wasn't he looking for feckin 5 grand or something for that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

if you buy right and do your homework they you can get superb quality frames from china! there are dogs out there but read up as much as you can find the best supliers! i have one for a winter bike and to be honest it rides better and weighs less than my wilier mortirolo and with a little better group set and wheels it could be alot lighter! i'l deff buy another and im waitin on some 60mm carbon wheels just to see how good/bad they are!!

BUT BEWARE OF THE DODGEY RETAILERS IN CHINA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

PinarelloFSA.jpg

I'm hating the forks and the seat stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

coolbeans wrote: »
    I'm hating the forks and the seat stays.

I'm loving them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

byebye wrote: »
    if you buy right and do your homework they you can get superb quality frames from china! there are dogs out there but read up as much as you can find the best supliers! i have one for a winter bike and to be honest it rides better and weighs less than my wilier mortirolo and with a little better group set and wheels it could be alot lighter! i'l deff buy another and im waitin on some 60mm carbon wheels just to see how good/bad they are!!

BUT BEWARE OF THE DODGEY RETAILERS IN CHINA

I'd really like to hear back on what the wheels are like.

The big question is - how do you know who's dodgy and who's reputable?

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'd really like to hear back on what the wheels are like.

The big question is - how do you know who's dodgy and who's reputable?

no prob i'l keep u updated! but from what iv read they are pretty good! roadbikereview is where you want to read up on it! i coud pm u some sites if you like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Neverlandland

Me too please :)

You should probably just post them here...

No prob here they are!

www.yishunbike.com
    dengfubikes.com
    www.hongfu-bikes.com

thats off the top of my head! i still suggest reading the threads on roadbikereview! see whats gettin the tumbs up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wevergo

If I could afford that I would hope to be able to afford Ultremo tyres for it

Hello,

the picture of the replica bike is mine.
    Somebody used it in this forum.
    Let me say the frame is excellent!
    Paintjob is also well done.
    The price/quality is amazing!
    More then three thousand kilometers and still perfect ride.
    No complaints at all, I am very entusiastic.
    I bought this frame not to impress people because I have also the brandname bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Cube Agree GTS Pro, Wilier Izoard.
    This replica Dogma can compete with my highend carbonbikes and it looks great.
    In fact it's my favourite bike!
    I bought the frame at Speedy Li's store, Aliexpress.

Don't believe negative criticism of people who don't have bought one ore have no experiences with a Chinarello themselves. Mostly they are talking nonsens because they do not have one.
    Read the reviews of the users.

The second picture: my first Chinarello, external cable routing.

Tyres: Schwalbe Durano S, they are not the same as the normal Duranos (weight, roling resistance etc.)

regards

Wevergo,
    the Netherlands.
    replica.jpg
    KopievanPinarelloApex1132groot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yes, beware of original Pina's:

that's why I prefer a replica :)

pinarello-broken-1.jpg
    broken_PIN_A.jpg
    27112008.jpg
    PinarelloBento.jpg
    Front.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

WTF, they all broke in the same place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

wevergo wrote: »
    Yes, beware of original Pina's:
    Welcome to boards.ie wevergo. It'll be interesting to get a Dutch perspective on things. I bet those Pinas of yours climb those Dutch mountains like goats ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Sure they would say that wouldn't they! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smush76

I find it hard to believe that the above photos are of real pinarello's. If as suggested they are surely pinarello would have made a voluntary recall of certain frames that appear to have a serious design flaw after all a premium product costing 3 grand or so you might expect sufficent r&d and testing would ensure this was an unlikely outcome. The last pic looks like the frame just snapped withouT having been involved in any sort of impact judging by the condition of the rest of the components and rider! Isn't it possible the above frames are chinarello's?

Lemag wrote: »
    Welcome to boards.ie wevergo. It'll be interesting to get a Dutch perspective on things. I bet those Pinas of yours climb those Dutch mountains like goats ;)

Yes, last year in summer I climbed with my Chinarello 6x the Mont-Ventoux starting from Bedoin. It was fun.

smush76 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that the above photos are of real pinarello's. If as suggested they are surely pinarello would have made a voluntary recall of certain frames that appear to have a serious design flaw after all a premium product costing 3 grand or so you might expect sufficent r&d and testing would ensure this was an unlikely outcome. The last pic looks like the frame just snapped withouT having been involved in any sort of impact judging by the condition of the rest of the components and rider! Isn't it possible the above frames are chinarello's?

Just google and you know these are real Pina's. Why doubt about it ?
    dsc0388ep8.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Pinarellos were meant to be indestructible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I rode a Pinarello FP3 in the Netherlands last week. Two things... (1) the Ardennes are not flat, (2) the Pinarello did not snap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

I have a chinese racer made by Triace and it is just as good as any of the current branded names out there. It's been used for a year and it's performance is spot-on. It's only a matter of time before they become a big brand name in this part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smush76

they seem to have some nice mtb's and this would make an interesting run around!
    http://www.triacebike.com/ProductFile/ProductMore.aspx?id=190

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

smush76 wrote: »
    this would make an interesting run around!
    http://www.triacebike.com/ProductFile/ProductMore.aspx?id=190

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

el tonto wrote: »
    Pinarellos were meant to be indestructible?

so was the titanic...and the irish economy:D

morana wrote: »
    so was the titanic...and the irish economy:D

One had a soft landing, and the other.......

• Advertisement

Yes, last year in summer I climbed with my Chinarello 6x the Mont-Ventoux starting from Bedoin. It was fun.
    Oi! That aint in Holland and six times is a little overkill, no? You should try the rolling hills of Ireland. Accommodation here is pretty cheap since, as the lads here have already mentioned, our economy got fcuked! Your euros could provide food and water for an african Irish village for a whole year..

funkyjebus wrote: »
    I'm loving them.

And another one from the internet:

16042011181.jpg
    DSC00259.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@wevergo- are they both Chinarellos or is the top one a genuine Pinarello?

The more I look at these Pins/ Chins the uglier they get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

gman2k wrote: »

Well I was looking at a genuine matt black Dogma in the CSS today and it was absolutely stunning!!

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    @wevergo- are they both Chinarellos or is the top one a genuine Pinarello?

They are both Chinarellos, replicas.

gman2k wrote: »
    Then just don't look at it ore don't visit this topic.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Then just don't look at it ore don't visit this topic.:confused:

Sure that won't solve anything.

They are both Chinarellos, replicas.
    The top one is very convincing!

blorg wrote: »
    The top one is very convincing!
    But not the bottom one then:confused:;) Those bars look huge on it.

Bottom one has an inverted stem! Cardinal sin. (I will pass over it appearing to be a fixie.)

See the frames.
    Which frame is fake? : Somec Diablo, Ribble, De Rosa, unbranded...........
    They are all from the same factory including the very expensive De Rosa.
    Are we deceived?
    You can buy the frame yourself: $200-$500 maximum from several providers.

FOBShenzhenUS200500.jpg
    DIABLO_klein.jpg
    SERIBBSTEALTHSHIM_1_zoom.jpg
    57662.jpg
    Carbon_Frame.jpg

How's about you pop on to some of the other threads here, wevergo? My only interest in this now is seeing spyderski's Chin' built up and finding out what he thinks about it.

@wevergo: those frames are not the same. Only the Somec has an ISP, and the De Rosa has a completely different lower seatstay profile.

Lumen wrote: »
    @wevergo: those frames are not the same. Only the Somec has an ISP, and the De Rosa has a completely different lower seatstay profile.

@Lumen: exactly the same seatstay. It looks different because of the paintjob.

At the same factory for the same price you can get the ISP:

http://topridecomp.en.alibaba.com/product/384144580-209686032/carbon_bike_frame_TP_R808.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement