Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying with honours maths?

Options
  • 27-03-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

DISCLAIMER: This is my first time posting, so sorry if I'm doing something wrong, lol!

Ok, so I'm doing 8 honours subjects for the leaving: maths, eng, french, irish, chem, geog, biology and music, so I know I have the space to do something in pass!

In my mocks I have gotten As and Bs in everything except maths - 53% :(

I think I could get a C if I stay at it.. even though it would be easier to go to pass and get an A. I don't need maths for points, anyway.

The thing is, I want to do nutrition in college which doesn't actually even require honours maths. But my dad (who has his own business and is often looking at people's CVs) said that having pass maths when you're doing science wouldn't look good on a CV and you would immediately be put aside for a candidate who does have honours maths. Also he said that having pass maths beside an A in chem (what I hope to get) wouldn't look good either (I believe the phrase he used was "it would devalue your chemistry result")
    And it's not just my dad who's said this, a couple of other people have told me this too, that pass maths beside a high chem result does not look good, especially if you're going into science!

Does anyone think it would be worth it to stay with the honours maths and try and get a C, even though I absolutely don't need it points-wise??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StarCollision

I don't think so, it may take away time from other subjects, perhaps your dad is right though, I don't know much about science courses, hopefully someone in that area will answer. One thing I would say though, don't put pressure on yourself, you got 53% in the mocks, that's great, if you think you're well capable of keeping up the honours then try to keep it up, if you find it taking up too much of your study time, then go to pass, it's your decision really.

What kind of business does your dad own though? I doubt math would be a massive factor in the industry you'll be going into.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

My dad has an engineering company, so I know that's a lot more maths-orientated than what I'm going into... But still, I'm not sure =/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StarCollision

Well then, I can see why he thinks that then, isn't honours math like a requirement for engineering? But yeah, i honestly have no idea if it mattered that much, I'm pretty sure leaving cert results aren't as important once you get your degree but then again, I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Once you get yourself a degree you won't put your Leaving Cert results on your CV!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

You put your last two results on your CV so unless you only do a degree you won't put it on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement