Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook is bad!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Think there was 700,000 on FB 2 yrs ago and now its 1.4m or something like that. Its handy for keeping in contact with people but there are alot of fake accounts. Some people i know have set up a rake of FB accounts just so they have 'neighbours' in the many FB games so that 1.4m number is actually a bit less in the number of human users :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

gurramok wrote: »
    Think there was 700,000 on FB 2 yrs ago and now its 1.4m or something like that. Its handy for keeping in contact with people but there are alot of fake accounts. Some people i know have set up a rake of FB accounts just so they have 'neighbours' in the many FB games so that 1.4m number is actually a bit less in the number of human users :)

You are just little bit off. It's almost as big as boards (lying down)
    Facebook wrote:
    • More than 500 million active users
    • 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
    • Average user has 130 friends
    • People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Jaysus I wish the thing never existed.....

.......It causes nothing but trouble, hurts a lot of people's feelings for example; Not commenting on a photo, not liking a status etc..

And the worst bit about it is about to come........;

People in pubs for example never stop talking about it, I overhear every single person usually when I go out to the pubs talking about it. I can't enjoy a good night out nowadays hearing it that much.

It's bloody everywhere!!!

Is there actually people out there that hates it like me?

It is a genuine epedemic of the western human psyche, seriously.

If it doesn't die a sudden death - which I doubt is going to happen - it will have genuine far reaching effects for society.

Kids, from 9 and ten up are being influenced by it, it is hardwiring the show-off bubblegum culture into their outlook on life.

Perhaps a terminator will come back from the future and kill Mark Zuckerberg. (Not advocating that of course. terminators are bad!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

i miss bebo ...

but facebook does not like my name, and keeps sending me links (stupid 'friends' and their importing of email contacts) to create a facebook with my name which brings me to an error ... i emailed them and they said i needed to prove that buzz lightyear was my real name ... so i sent them the email they sent me ... still not reply ... :pac:

wil wrote: »
    You are just little bit off. It's almost as big as boards (lying down)

Did you honestly think I was quoting global figures?:rolleyes: Ireland man, wake up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

u ok hun? xx

This has to be post of the day!!!

Did you honestly think I was quoting global figures?:rolleyes: Ireland man, wake up! :)
    Do you honestly think I am awake. This is an hour after hours.;)

wil wrote: »
    Do you honestly think I am awake. This is an hour after hours.;)

And we lost an hour when it jumped from 1am to 2am, bloody clocks going forward :mad: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Yeah ive been thinking about deleting my facebook page, It can make one feel quite alone like a stone... like a ... lone stone say my name say name thats my name yeahh *jazz hands*

And we lost an hour when it jumped from 1am to 2am, bloody clocks going forward :mad: ;)
    a n d t h e h i n t w a s i n t h e p o s t ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

.......It causes nothing but trouble, hurts a lot of people's feelings for example; Not commenting on a photo, not liking a status etc..

That's more people taking crap too seriously imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Wamble

Jaysus I wish the thing never existed.....

You need new friends or....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Don't have a facebook account & never will.

- ooh i have 300 hundred FB friends!!!yaaaay!!!!
    - Really. How many actual real friends do you have?
    - uhhhh?......:mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

What bothers me is people taking photos just for the sake of putting them up on facebook. It used to be the case that people would take photos and then have them in there actual form (non digital) to keep as a memory and what not, now it's people taking photos on nights out just so they can put them on facebook, for the entire world to see! You might look ridiculously drunk and prefer only a few select people might see you like this, but no, everyone must cause it's facebook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Wamble

whiteboy wrote: »
    What bothers me is people taking photos just for the sake of putting them up on facebook. It used to be the case that people would take photos and then have them in there actual form (non digital) to keep as a memory and what not, now it's people taking photos on nights out just so they can put them on facebook, for the entire world to see! You might look ridiculously drunk and prefer only a few select people might see you like this, but no, everyone must cause it's facebook!

There's extensive privacy options in the settings. You can choose who see's what.

If your friends are persistently posting drunk photo's of you, say it to them, or get new friends. Or close your account. Facebook is not to blame.

Can't get over the hatred. People are either using it incorrectly or have sh*t friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

What's the fcukin obsession with hating facebook?Either you like something or you don't talk about it,usually works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

XcupcakeX wrote: »
    sooo relieved to see people giving out about face book because I thought I was the only person on the planet without a face book account!
    Its feckin everywhere and literally takes over peoples lives

That says more about those people though, than Facebook itself. If people allow it to control their lives are get upset because someone de-friended them or ignored their status, then if not Facebook they'd find some other medium for their issues (mass texting - now that would be fúcking annoying).

Facebook is a tool, a very useful one if you've a business or a band etc. It is what you make of it. I mainly use it to promote my bands or to catch up with friends abroad and because these friends aren't complete muppets, they don't get upset when I block their game requests or ignore their invites. Since I don't use any of that crap, I just block it as new ones appear. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I find it useful to catch up with family (mainly cousins) that I don't see much, and a life saver when I have college group projects if I haven't got their number as I can just send them a message on Facebook since almost everyone in my class has one.

It does get annoying with peoples constant Facebook updates, the worst are people who have Facebook Mobile and update every second of their lives. "In d pub sooo mch fun". If you have time to update your status I really doubt it's that much fun!

Fortunately you can just click on that little 'X' in the corner of their post and choose to ignore all their posts in the future :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Aoifey! wrote: »

It does get annoying with peoples constant Facebook updates, the worst are people who have Facebook Mobile and update every second of their lives. "In d pub sooo mch fun". If you have time to update your status I really doubt it's that much fun!

Fortunately you can just click on that little 'X' in the corner of their post and choose to ignore all their posts in the future :D

I'm in the pub now, having so much fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Fb is handy to keep in contact with people but it stops there. Its a complete waste of time. Its like a brain rot and the lack of privacy for your details is a joke. I realise they can only know how much you tell them but like cant really stop people commenting on my wall.

I was going downloading the Fb app for my phone last night and it wanted access to my phone's contents and my GS location, along with a raft of my settings, including the 'vibrator'. They can piss off in fairness. Id never put anything anyway private on Fb or PM it through Fb.

On another side note, the Google Translate app wanted access to my SMS and MMS messages. Dono why they would possibly need that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

FoxT wrote: »
    [...] So, I just dont like it. Combination of emotional blackmail, dodgy privacy, and useless anodyne, "I have friday off, woo hoo!" posts just kill it for me.

Why don't you just delete your account, so?

Never had a problem with facebook.. Normal friends, proper privacy settings and hiding all the games makes it easy. Most of my friends are thousands of miles away so it's the handiest way to see what's goin on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Facebook is the only legal drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

What's the fcukin obsession with hating facebook?Either you like something or you don't talk about it,usually works for me.

Err it might have something to do with the way its fanboys are always rabbiting on about it and looking at the rest of us wierd when we express no interest or say were not on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

AssBook is where it's at, in fairness.

*wonders how many have just typed 'assbook.com'*

EDIT: It's for sale?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Lads i have a Facebook account and it does really annoy me the stuff people write up sometimes. Like it was said already, its great to keep in contact with people on the other side of the world or someone in a different country.

The problem itself is not facebook, naturally its the people who you add as friends. The big problem is that 95% of people are superficial imo, therefore they try to make themselves out to be something that they are not online. For example i know a lad that continuously posts up jokes but he aint one bit funny when you meet him on the street. He just trys to come across funny online which is a bit sad really. I do use the site quite a bit myself but like OP i do get sick of the tripe some people post so im gonna cut down and also block seeing some posts in future. I think i will get rid of a few friends as well because there is a few people on it that i would not talk to if i met them in the real world. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Naikon wrote: »
    It's a mass profiling tool to gauge the habits of the masses. Never used it myself. But then again, I am not easily convinced. What is put out in the public domain, can not be taken back. Like this post for instance.

Rubbish! You take that back! Oh yeah, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

I need to get myself off facebook and put my face in a book :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

One thing I noticed (and am guilty of) is I have friends on Facebook that I have met on the street, and we act as though we don't know each other, yet we have accepted each other as friends on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Facebook has only been good to me. It has enabled me to get invitations to events and parties and therefore, meet new people. It keeps me in contact with my old school mates and it's good for arranging nights out with college and friends in general. Paradoxically almost, my social life is better due to Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

People who add you as friends on facebook who dont even say hello to you on the street. One of lifes great mysteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Facebook is fantastic except when you send drunken messages to the ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

How often you use facebook definitely depends upon the type of personality that you have. I don't use it too much but I don't get why people hate it so much either. It is pretty easy to ignore. It is just like any other form of communication, some people will be good at it and use it a lot while others will hate it and not bother with it.
    REGULAR Facebook users tend to be narcissistic, extroverted exhibitionists, while non-users are generally shy and conscientious.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/facebook-taps-the-vain/story-e6frf7l6-1226027677547

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kuno

Facebook bothers me because of the lack of privacy for everyone else.

I would never put photos of myself or my personal information into the public domain but others do it for me.

There are photos of me on sites like facebook that I never signed any waivers for. Having a night out with friends and the bar staff took photos and posted them to showcase their business for example. I never agreed to the photos being taken never mind made public! Or people talking about their night out and what they were up to and including me. I´ve had morons tell the world when my house will be empty because they were driving me to the airport.

If people want to use facebook, let them, but how dare they drag people like me into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

kuno wrote: »
    If people want to use facebook, let them, but how dare they drag people like me into it.

What are you like?.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what goes on tour stays on tour.

what goes on the internet stays on the internet.

just because www.archive.org is public doesn't mean there aren't other repositories that store stuff even if facebook/google actually did remove your valuable (to their advitisers) data

oh yeah in case anyone still doesn't know and agreeing to an app or joining a group / cause / etc. more or less hands over all your personal data, people's pictures have been used in adverts , and it's all totally legal because you clicked OK

Like a really ugly vulture.

Or very hot chick depending on your taste. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Whatever about people just not being into it - of course, it's not everyone's bag - but people who go on about how superior they are because they haven't bought into it seem really up their own fucking arses. And "enslavement"? Hmmm... I was sure that when it comes to enslavement, there isn't any choice in the matter...

I like Facebook - it's nice to e.g. be able to engage with a few friends abroad at the one time, and to see an album of their pictures. It's nice to get in touch that way with someone you haven't seen in years - if you just emailed them it could fizzle out. It's nice to see links, music vids etc your friends post up. It's nice to join nostalgic groups. It's... just a bit of fun.
    And 100+ friends if you've been on it since 2007 isn't actually that many. You'd be surprised how they can add up - I certainly don't add people for the sake of increasing my friend count and I've the bones of 200 friends. There's no way that's even considered a high number on Facebook either - there are people with several hundred, some whose friend count is now over 1,000. That does indeed seem iffy - but meh, leave them at it.
    You can tailor it in so many ways to suit yourself - privacy settings, friends, the way you use it, who gets to see pics of you. If people's statuses annoy you, maybe delete the friend instead of bitching about them, or block their statuses. Nothing is forced on anyone.

Lol at people who get hurt when what they post up isn't "liked"/commented on btw... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Facebook bothers me because of the lack of privacy for everyone else.

I would never put photos of myself or my personal information into the public domain but others do it for me.

There are photos of me on sites like facebook that I never signed any waivers for. Having a night out with friends and the bar staff took photos and posted them to showcase their business for example. I never agreed to the photos being taken never mind made public! Or people talking about their night out and what they were up to and including me. I´ve had morons tell the world when my house will be empty because they were driving me to the airport.

Thats what happens if you are in the public domain, your photos can be taken regardless, facebook or no facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

God I miss Bebo.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Thats what happens if you are in the public domain, your photos can be taken regardless, facebook or no facebook!

Admittedly I´m quite private by nature, but even I know that spending my entire life indoors is not a practical life choice. However my image is my own and others should not be allowed to profit from it without my say so. You can´t stop people from gossiping but facebook, blogs etc make that information available to an exponentially larger audience.

They´re supposed to be a fun means of communication for those involved. My problem with them is that you can´t choose not to be involved. I chose not to have an account, it turns out that wasn´t my choice to make because people are being filled in my comings and goings by others anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

FoxT wrote: »
    On the minus side, almost all comments/posts are completely anodyne. I get a constant barrage of farmville requests from neices/nephews/cousins/etc that lead me to a process that goes like this:
    - OMG, 5yo mikey has asked me for a chicken, how cute!
    - Hi mikey, heres a chicken! Woo hoo!
    - OMG, Mikey, his mom, his aunt, her friend, and his brother have all asked me for chickens!
    - All of this quickly degenerates though, to feeling:
    - Arrgh, If I give them no chickens I am an evil toad.
    - But if I give them chickens, this BS will go on forever

Just block farmville, thats what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I like Facebook and I use it regularly. I "check-in" now and again. I post pictures occasionally and I have a wee nose at my friends photo albums.
    Facebook has allowed me to keep in contact with old work colleagues, distant family and school friends. It has also re-united my husband with his nieces who were un-contactable for fifteen years.

It has also caused a few family arguments - my stepdaughter was not impressed when my daughter tagged my husband as her "dad" on facebook ! that's her problem though and not Facebooks. I've also commented on some of my family's activities and been reprimanded by other members of the family. Again this is a people issue and not a Facebook issue.

I do find the people who sneer at Facebook a little tiresome, it's just e-snobbery, they haven't used it or tried it's many and useful functions and their comments that they have "real" friends and "real" lives are a little simplistic - do they think the people we are connecting with are artificial friends somehow !! 99% of the people on Facebook are human beings sharing their life experiences with selected recipients.

I do think some people are obsessed with it though, I have one "friend" who checks in when he goes to the canteen for lunch. That's a bit much but he seems to enjoy it so who am I to judge.

It's a new medium for communication - not a handtool of Satan as some would have us believe, take it or leave it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Admittedly I´m quite private by nature, but even I know that spending my entire life indoors is not a practical life choice. However my image is my own and others should not be allowed to profit from it without my say so. You can´t stop people from gossiping but facebook, blogs etc make that information available to an exponentially larger audience.

They´re supposed to be a fun means of communication for those involved. My problem with them is that you can´t choose not to be involved. I chose not to have an account, it turns out that wasn´t my choice to make because people are being filled in my comings and goings by others anyway.
    If you walk down grafton street your photo could be used in the same way, regardless of the existence of facebook.

In the pre social networking days people could still take photographs for public display!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Funny how so many people seem to hate it, yet almost everyone I've met is on it:pac:

It's a bit of craic, people take it far too seriously. Y'all just be hatin:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

[FACEBOOK]is excited about his new Samsung Galaxy S, bought almost solely for FB[/FACEBOOK].

I think I posted in this forum already, and I'm fecked if I'll try use the new search engine to fine my post.. But I love FB for keeping me in the martial arts loop.

As an example this weekend I've friends competing in Galway and L.A. (USA) who are updating their status with comments and photos.

Tbh, I can hardly remember how I kept up to date on these things before FB.

I've great fun with my mobile photos album, and others for the random nature of the photos and the craic in them.

I'll admit that I do cull my FB friends list for a variety of reasons from time to time, and people do take offence but its kinda like 'tough sh*t Paddy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Good point Mak - it's a way of sending out mass invites, mass notifications etc. Yeah we survived without it, but we survived without the telephone and TV and cars too. Facebook is great - used in a silly way by many, yes, but that doesn't really affect anyone in any serious way, and there are plenty of positives to counter it. It's a mode of communication - an inevitability with the interweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't really use it, find Twitter better as a news junkie, but I can see its use.

I've my privacy setting pretty well locked down but a friend set up a Group and now I get email notification of updates, was never asked to confirm this at all. They should know this stuff by now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

lets face it we all use facebook to stalk people

we find old friends from years ago call a Brother or Sister over to the laptop say hey look at size of Johnny or Paulie the ****ing size of them now

facebook will be gone in a couple of years
    we'll all eventually want to start talking to people face to face

• Advertisement
Advertisement