Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed- Road Bike

• 27-03-2011 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've recently returned to the saddle after a break of about 14 years. nothing too serious just yet, cycling to work every day (approx 25km round trip). using a hybrid for the work commuting.
    I intend to do a cycle of 90km in September this year and own a racer that i used to cycle on. the trouble is that technology seems to have moved on and my bike (although good in its day) is an old steel framed raleigh (road ace)
    my question is 2 fold.would I look ridiculous taking this bike to an event seeing as most riders will be on carbon or alloy machines with up to date technology?.. and also, can I still be reasonably competitive on a machine like this? (I dont want to set the world on fire but i dont want to embarass myself either!!)

i'll need new tires (tubular)...any recomendations?
    also, should I invest in indexed shifters if i decide to ride the bike? (currently the bike has shimano 600ax groupset)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

would I look ridiculous taking this bike to an event seeing as most riders will be on carbon or alloy machines with up to date technology?

No.
    can I still be reasonably competitive on a machine like this?

Racing in a non-race? No, it won't slow you down significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

would I look ridiculous taking this bike to an event seeing as most riders will be on carbon or alloy machines with up to date technology?
    Not at all. Even if there are the odd few cyclists around who peer down their noses disdainfully at those on lesser machinery, would you seriously consider going out and spending a couple of grand just to try and keep them happy? Just make sure your bike is in good running order and you’ll get on fine – rest assured, most other riders will be completely indifferent to your choice of bike. In any case, there’s a bit of a “retro” thing going on at the moment, so you may even get a few envious looks or friendly enquiries.

When you have a couple of events behind you and some decent miles in your legs, then maybe you’ll treat yourself to an upgrade. But do it for yourself and in your own time.
    can I still be reasonably competitive on a machine like this? (I dont want to set the world on fire but i dont want to embarass myself either!!)
    Yes, you could be competitive but if it’s a leisure cycle or sportive, there won’t be much competing going on. There is usually a very wide spread of ability at such events, so it’s unlikely that you’ll come “last”. Particularly if the weather is good, many riders take it fairly handy, chat and have a laugh along the way and take leisurely breaks at the feed stops. There’s not much danger of you being left behind.

Just make sure that your average speed in training will allow you to complete the event comfortably inside the official cut-off time for finishers.
    i'll need new tires (tubular)...any recomendations?
    also, should I invest in indexed shifters if i decide to ride the bike? (currently the bike has shimano 600ax groupset)
    Since it’s your first significant outing on the bike in a long time, I’d say focus on getting yourself in shape. If you’re properly bitten by the cycling bug, write a letter to Santy at the end of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Buy cycling shoes and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Raleigh Road Ace, a lovely bike, stick a picture of it up in "Images of Beauty".
    Sign up for the Ring of Kerry and expect lots of compliments, my first ROK in 2000 was on a 70's Dawes. Had a great day (apart from the rain), the bike certainly didn't under perform!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hans gruber100

Many thanks for the advice all.. I'll get the bike looked at and make sure its in good condition for training. Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement