Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cranberries

Options
  • 27-03-2011 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just saw the Ocean Spray advert on TV earlier. Is anyone growing cranberries in Ireland? If so, how hard are they to grow?

ATB,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Not that I know of, someone might have one or two plants but nothing commercial. The market for fresh berries is really only Xmas here and cheaper to produce the juice and sauces using berries from places like the states. You require peaty soil, sand and lots of water for harvest and a comprehensive irrigation system.

3 mins in shows harvesting

Planting in a cranberry bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks Corsendonk, two very interesting videos there :) Particularly the planting one, a lot of work goes into them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

johngalway wrote: »
    Thanks Corsendonk, two very interesting videos there :) Particularly the planting one, a lot of work goes into them!

Thats it does, do I think more so in Oregon because they didn't have a natural peat bog on that site. Its an interesting idea for Ireland but Wiki says 95% goes to processing so you would need to identify a niche market because you could never match US bulk suppliers prices and its an autumn crop too so only one harvest income. A dried product might work, its classed as a "superfood". I wonder did Bord na Mona ever do a trail on a cleared bog?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

back in the mid-nineties one of the largest growers in the world, northland cranberry of wisconsin did some exploratory trials here but i don't remember what the outcome of this was.

Advertisement