Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb ideas

Options
  • 27-03-2011 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Ok well I am two weeks into my homegrown Rhubarb crop and already grown bored with my usually recipes of stewing it or eating rubarb tarts. Best way to keep rhubarb tender and tasty is to keep harvesting it. Has anyone got any alternative recipe ideas particular non-dessert ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

do muffins count as desert? i make rhubarb and custard muffins, if you want the recipe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

do muffins count as desert? i make rhubarb and custard muffins, if you want the recipe...

Lol nah muffins are never desert. Fire away with the recipe!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fool Proof Food
    Rhubarb and Ginger Jam
    This delicious jam should be made when rhubarb is in full season and not yet thick and tough.
    Makes 8 x 1 lb (450 g) jars
    4 lb (1.8kg) trimmed rhubarb,
    4 lb (1.8kg) granulated sugar
    grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
    2 ozs (50g) bruised ginger
    2 ozs (50g) chopped crystallized ginger or stem ginger preserved in syrup (optional)
    Wipe the rhubarb and cut into 1 inch (2.5cm) pieces. Put it in a large bowl layered with the sugar; add the lemon rind and juice. Leave to stand overnight. Next day put into a preserving pan, add the bruised ginger tied in a muslin bag. Steadily bring to the boil until it is a thick pulp. Remove the bag of ginger and then pour the jam into hot clean jars, cover and store in a dry airy cupboard.
    If you like, 2ozs (50g) chopped crystallized ginger or preserved stem ginger can be added at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You can roast off rhubarb. Season it and drizzle with olive oil and roast until soft. Goes really well with lamb.
    Didn't think that would work either but I saw the flavour combination in Niki Segnit's Flavour Thesaurus and was really surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Lol nah muffins are never desert. Fire away with the recipe!!

:)
    :D

I use this recipe, chop up the rhubarb pieces and throw them in, in place of the summer fruit. The custard element I add, with no apologies, using fake Bird's custard powder. Take a heaped desertspoon of birds custard powder, mix into a paste with a little of the 8oz of milk thats required for the recipe, mix into the rest of the milk, then continue with the recipe as normal.
    I find that the custard element really evens out the overall taste of the muffin, adds a subtle mellowness to the mix. Don't expect custard pockets in the muffins. This is more a flavour element than a texture element.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I know it's still a dessert, but rhubarb Eton mess is one of my favourites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Rhubarb crumble. Anything else is a sin!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't have a recipe but I made a pork and rhubarb casserole before - and also rhubarb chutney

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you like oriental flavours, you could give this a try:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/my-favourite-hot-sour-rhubarb-cr

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I don't have a recipe but I made a pork and rhubarb casserole before - and also rhubarb chutney

What was the casserole like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Rhubarb goes really well with mackerel - try making a rhubarb and onion marmalade, or perhaps a rhubarb sauce - the rhubarb needs to remain sharp, not too sweet, to cut through the oiliness of the fish. Works with gooseberries, too.

Darkginger wrote: »
    Rhubarb goes really well with mackerel - try making a rhubarb and onion marmalade, or perhaps a rhubarb sauce - the rhubarb needs to remain sharp, not too sweet, to cut through the oiliness of the fish. Works with gooseberries, too.

Yes I found an Iraq recipe on youtube for rhubarb with Trout and in Iran it seems to be popular added into Lamb stew but added in near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hill Billy wrote: »
    If you like oriental flavours, you could give this a try:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/my-favourite-hot-sour-rhubarb-cr

I use the rhubarb and ginger jam in cooking all the time.

I sometimes slow roast lots of duck legs and freeze them.
    Then into a pan goes some R&G jam a sliced clove of garlic, a chilli (optional) a splash of dry sherry and soy sauce. You can add some extra sliced ginger if you really like ginger - I do. Place the duck leg on top (best to defrost first) and any duck roasting juices (frozen with the duck) and put in a hot oven until hot and crispy.

Serve with rice (Thai fragrant is my choice) and some Chinese leaves or pak choi and some chopped fresh spring onions and coriander on top (if you like) and maybe a drizzle of sesame oil. One of my favourite meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

..::Arise::..

I've a rhubarb plant and the stems are fairly thick, (touch your thumb with your index finger thick) would they still be suitable for cooking, want to make the above jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I made Rhubarb and Vanilla jam last year using this recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/251611/rhubarb-and-vanilla-jam

it was lovely and i made 2 batches as i started to use it in my poridge in the mornings. Rhubarb plants aren't quite as productive this year so i haven't made it again but if i get a glut later on i'll definitely make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JJJJNR wrote: »
    ..::Arise::..

I've a rhubarb plant and the stems are fairly thick, (touch your thumb with your index finger thick) would they still be suitable for cooking, want to make the above jam.

It should be ok - Thinner is sweeter - so you might need a little extra sugar

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've made rhubarb, pineapple and ginger jam the past few years as our rhubarb hasn't been very sweet, a good use for the cheapy pineapples often on special offer in supermarkets :)
    If anyone wants the recipe I can dig it out!

Advertisement