Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finishing college & Jobseekers Benefit

• 27-03-2011 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,

I was wondering when I will be able to sign on for jobseeker allowance/benefit.

I am currently a final year student at University, and my classes officially finish up on the 30th of April.
    I will finish up at my current part time job on the Saturday 7th of May.
    Is it ok to submit my application immediately, say on the Monday following this, even though i will have 3 exams (not sure of exact dates of these yet) during the period up until the 28th of May?

The reason I am so eager to sign on so soon is that I am interested in applying for a FAS WPP position, if I do not secure paid employment over the summer. I have been applying for positions for months now, and it's just not looking good.

With the FAS WPP, I know that you must be receiving benefit for 3 months in order to retain them while taking part in the program. So the way I see it is the sooner I start receiving it, the sooner I can start getting experience relevant to my studies.

It's not ideal, but I haven't got many other options at this stage.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

You are considered a full time student until your exams are finished, so can't claim until after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

rosered__ wrote: »
    Hi All,

I was wondering when I will be able to sign on for jobseeker allowance/benefit.

I am currently a final year student at University, and my classes officially finish up on the 30th of April.
    I will finish up at my current part time job on the Saturday 7th of May.
    Is it ok to submit my application immediately, say on the Monday following this, even though i will have 3 exams (not sure of exact dates of these yet) during the period up until the 28th of May?

The reason I am so eager to sign on so soon is that I am interested in applying for a FAS WPP position, if I do not secure paid employment over the summer. I have been applying for positions for months now, and it's just not looking good.

With the FAS WPP, I know that you must be receiving benefit for 3 months in order to retain them while taking part in the program. So the way I see it is the sooner I start receiving it, the sooner I can start getting experience relevant to my studies.

It's not ideal, but I haven't got many other options at this stage.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

As soon as your finished you should get a letter from the college to state that it was your finaly year and you wont be returning following year, sometimes they require this letter in order for you to be considered no longer a full time student for the genuiely seeking full time work conditions

Advertisement