Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spuds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Lads any advice on Golden wonders, someone gave me a stone of seed and I have never planted them before, I'm short on ground so I'm thinking of sowing them in ridges and not drills ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

haybob wrote: »
    Lads any advice on Golden wonders, someone gave me a stone of seed and I have never planted them before, I'm short on ground so I'm thinking of sowing them in ridges and not drills ??????

We often sowed them over the years. We never treated them differently than any other maincrop spud!
    I know they favour lighter type soils. We didn't sow them in a long time now, far to dry for my liking! A good spud just the same if thats what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Bizzum wrote: »
    We often sowed them over the years. We never treated them differently than any other maincrop spud!
    I know they favour lighter type soils. We didn't sow them in a long time now, far to dry for my liking! A good spud just the same if thats what you like.

I'm not fond of them either I prefer rooster but as I said I was given them and I'm sure they will be eaten.

cheers

I'm not fond of them either I prefer rooster but as I said I was given them and I'm sure they will be eaten.

cheers

Big Rooster fan too.
    The golden wonder is a great keeper, a great spud late in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

those roosters are the worst spud ever came out the ground,i know they grow ant where, big spuds and good to store but they taste like s**t.a bit of queens spinks and wonders are the only job nice to swop around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Grew Sarpo Mira once but it's a texture thing rather than a taste, they make rubbish mash... just go all sticky like wallpaper paste.

Ciaranr - I've used Nemaslug before - it's very expensive so I used it for strawberries and it seemed to keep the slugs at bay, but then again it was dry during the fruiting season anyway so there'd naturally have been less slugs.

I live in the wet West and have given up growing maincrop potatoes due to blight - tried everything and they've still gone over. Now I just grow first and second earlies, get them in around Paddy's Day and they're up and out before blight season sets in for real.

For those with slug problems, Kestrel (second early) is supposed to be resistant to slugs (never tried it so dunno about the taste)

Wireworm - tough one, only surefire way is spraying and spraying and that's not always guaranteed... very common on land that was grass before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

Grew Sarpo Mira once but it's a texture thing rather than a taste, they make rubbish mash... just go all sticky like wallpaper paste.

Ciaranr - I've used Nemaslug before - it's very expensive so I used it for strawberries and it seemed to keep the slugs at bay, but then again it was dry during the fruiting season anyway so there'd naturally have been less slugs.

I live in the wet West and have given up growing maincrop potatoes due to blight - tried everything and they've still gone over. Now I just grow first and second earlies, get them in around Paddy's Day and they're up and out before blight season sets in for real.

For those with slug problems, Kestrel (second early) is supposed to be resistant to slugs (never tried it so dunno about the taste)

Wireworm - tough one, only surefire way is spraying and spraying and that's not always guaranteed... very common on land that was grass before.
    i grew the kestrels they are a great big long spud and are a pied spud between a pink and a white and taste good too.

keep going wrote: »
    those roosters are the worst spud ever came out the ground,i know they grow ant where, big spuds and good to store but they taste like s**t.

Maybe you need to have a chat with the chef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well speaking to some experts in the past Golden Wonder seems to trive on poor tired ground, the flavour and crop yield improves.

Advertisement