Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rent allowance while waiting on opf??

• 27-03-2011 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi could anyone help me,
    I need to reduce my hrs in work to 20 a week im already getting fis.
    I worked out that when my lone parents comes through i will be earning to much for to qualify for rent allowance.
    But it could take up to 3 months for the opf, while i am waiting on it would i be eligible for rent allowance.
    I have 2 children, fis payment is 101 a week and employment would be 300.
    Im not receiving maintenance as at the min there dad feels that cos he is minding the kids while i work that is his contribution and he cant afford it. I am fighting this, i just dont want to go to court.
    All advice appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Your lone parents will be backdated to the date that you applied, if your claim is allowed. You would be unlikely to get rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

shky wrote: »
    Hi could anyone help me,
    I need to reduce my hrs in work to 20 a week im already getting fis.
    I worked out that when my lone parents comes through i will be earning to much for to qualify for rent allowance.
    But it could take up to 3 months for the opf, while i am waiting on it would i be eligible for rent allowance.
    I have 2 children, fis payment is 101 a week and employment would be 300.
    Im not receiving maintenance as at the min there dad feels that cos he is minding the kids while i work that is his contribution and he cant afford it. I am fighting this, i just dont want to go to court.
    All advice appreciated, thanks

You can only apply for a Supplementary payment if you are living below the rate for your family, this been €186 for yourself and €29.80 for each child. Also when you receive your OPFP and apply for rent allownces you will be assesed on your earnings. The first €75 of your earnings will be disregared and then also 25% of the balance.

Example of how you will be assessed is as follows: If your weekly earnings are lets say €125. They will take away €75 from this leaving a balance of €50. The amount of the €75 the which is the €50 will then be assessed at 25% which will leave €12.50.

So the total disregard is €75+€12.50 = €87.50. They then take this balance from your total income of the €125 =€37.50.

So each week your rent supplement will be reduced by the 37.50. If your earnings are much higer than the example i showed, then you will be reduced by alot more

Advertisement