Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare after graduation

Options
  • 27-03-2011 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'll be finished my degree this year, and I was wondering could anyone tell me from experience how soon after I finish can I start claiming social welfare? Will it be after I graduate or as soon as I finish exams?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eirn

As soon as you finish your exams. Might actually be an idea to go about applying soon as it takes so long to process, and all of the payments will be back-dated. You'll prob need a letter from the college to state that you have offically finished attending on whatever date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kris44

Thats good advice, I think i'll head to the citizens info shop to find out everything i need to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I applied before I'd finished my exams. They ask you to put the end date of your studies on your form so if you put down the date of your last exam your payment will be backdated to this date when it is finally approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peadar1987

It'll take a while for them to means-test you if you're living at home though. And if your parents are anything but slaves, you'll only get a pittance. I got burned by that. So much effort, only to be told that I'm not eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Howjadoo

Kris44 you should apply asap. I didnt apply until 6 months after I finished exams and now it's dodgy if I will be back-dated. Also, you will only be means tested if you apply for "Job seekers allowance". And yes Peadar1987 is right - unless your parents are slaves you won't get much. But I applied for "Job seekers benefit" and I wasn't means tested. I am lucky enough to work part time, but because I earn so little I am receiving the Dole. I didn't have to tell one word of a lie, so imo "job seekers benefit" is the best one to apply for if you're a graduate still living at home. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement