Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A very stupid question from a new fishkeeper

Options
  • 27-03-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 35l biorb tank that is now home to three gold fish, one has been moved from a standard tank and two are new. Up to now I've not had a tank with a filter, but have read the manual and feel pretty confident that the set up is ok.

My question is this: how exactly does feeding work? Until this week Mr. Flay (the fish) was in a bowl with no pump (well, it had a pump, but the noise made my partner threaten violence). I'm feeding standard fish flakes such as you can get in any supermarket, which Mr. Flay got every 2/3 days and picked off the water surface. Since the new tank has bubbles the food will sink. Is this ok? Will they pick it off the stones, or do I need some other type of food?

Also, is there anything else I need? Something to clean/kill algae?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Also, do people usually name their fish? I suppose it'd be hard to tell them apart if you have a school of tetras, or something, but I really enjoy common goldfish so I like to get some with different markings. Mr. Flay is now sharing his new tank with Mr. Miagi and a shubunkin called Mr. Slant.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, as I said before, goldfish need a lot of water because they are messy fish and grow quite large quite fast, and a 35L biorb is way too small, also the shape is completely wrong for goldfish, goldfish need a lot of surface area for oxygen, and straight lines to swim in.
    I was talking to a professional breeder a while back and asked what he recommended a Biorb for if not for fish, and he said 'A table lamp' :/

Anyway, besides that, yes the food will be fine sinking, goldfish are bottom feeders and food that has sunk is better for them, as gulping food from the surface can cause an intake of air which can lead to swimbladder issues.
    So they'll be grand on that front. Mine spend most of their time grubbing about in the gravel for any food they might have missed.

I name all mine, I have Ronnie ( 7 inch fantail), Genghis and Kubla (2 black ranchus) and Fat Tulip, an oranda.
    Ronnie and Genghis share a 110L tank, and Kubla and Fat Tulip are in a 120L tank.

I presume you've read Gormenghast or Terry Pratchett? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for the info. According to the book that came with the tank 3 fish is the max, so hopefully they'll be fine for a while. I'm looking at getting a larger tank but they're pretty expensive, so at the moment I'm focussing on getting as big a one as I can for 7 inch Paul. Hopefully I can learn as much as I can from the BiOrb and move on to something better then. Unfortunately my living room is tiny so fitting even one big tank will be a challenge. I could put it upstairs, but I don't see the point of having a tank if you don't get to see it.

I am indeed a huge Pratchett fan, and I read Titus Groan many years ago; oh named Mr. Miaggi. I insist on calling all my fish Mister, why I don't know.

Advertisement