Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would it be worth trading in my Canon kit lens?

• 27-03-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Might as well get rid of it seeing as I dont use it anyway. Cant seem to find online how much it might be worth now though. Its approx 18mths old and want to trade it in for the 50mm f1.8 or f1.4.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Probably going to be worth very little on a trade in - everyone who bought a camera similar to yours will probably have gotten the same kit lens with it, and anyone with a higher range camera (normally sold without lenses) will want better glass than a kit lens.

The only real market for it is someone who's damaged their kit lens and wants to replace it cheaply.

I'd try and sell it on adverts.ie rather than trade it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I got a decent price trading in my kit lens from the 18-55 in camera exchange on george's st. Don't remember what it was exactly but it was more than people were selling them for on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Thanks for your replies. Wil take a chance in the shop where I have always bought my stuff. Going to head up on Tuesday I think - cant wait any longer for lens now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm not sure about the photo industry, but in my industry the trade-in value of something is a combination of its real worth plus the discount available in the new purchase.

If I were you I'd see what the kit lens is selling for online and I'd ask for how much the shop would buy the lens from you outright, if you weren't trading it in.
    With those two figures you should be able to arrive at a "real" value for your lens. Anything they offer you above that price is made up of discount and should be available whether you're trading in a lens or not.

You may find it more economical to sell the lens privately and then insist on a cash discount on your new purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

is it that poor that you'd never use it?

The only other thing to contemplate is that there will be occasions that you will want to shoot without compromising a good lens - perhaps in the rain, or what you'll often hear referred to as a "beach lens" i.e. if you are going to chance getting sand in a lens then you might as well do it on a "throw away lens".

so, for what you might financially get for it, i'd humbly suggest that it may be worthwhile holding onto for that occasion some point in the future where you won't want to use your "good" gear.

• Advertisement

I have the 18-55 kit lens listed on adverts for a while now, at €50 (though accepted offers of €40 on-thread) and I still have it.

It would appear that I can't pay someone to take it off me, so I actually think I'm going to resign it to dodgy-situation usage, as per ACD's post above.

I had considered keeping it as a back-up, if my 17-85 died or broke, but the thought of just keeping it for crap conditions never really crossed my mind. Might just do that.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    is it that poor that you'd never use it?

The only other thing to contemplate is that there will be occasions that you will want to shoot without compromising a good lens - perhaps in the rain, or what you'll often hear referred to as a "beach lens" i.e. if you are going to chance getting sand in a lens then you might as well do it on a "throw away lens".

so, for what you might financially get for it, i'd humbly suggest that it may be worthwhile holding onto for that occasion some point in the future where you won't want to use your "good" gear.

Thats a good idea, plenty of those days coming up in the summer. I know what the shop wants for the lens, so will ask for discount first then offer my lens as trade in and see if its worth it. If not, I can always keep it. Thanks for the tip:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you update the body at a later stage you can then stick the kit lens back on it. Then it's grand for a newbie buying their first camera second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dmac120

I sold my 18-55 kit lens on ebay last week for €50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I was offered €60 on a spotless 18-55 IS a few months ago against a 17-85. I decided its worth more to me and kept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

There is one on eBay going for 70, no harm sticking it up and seeing what interest you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

you might miss the wide angle end of the kit lense, I got rid of mine a while ago and the 50mm 1.8 as my main lens, it can be a bit tight on a crop sensor sometimes in cramped situations.

Thats a good idea too, as it has crossed my mind to upgrade within the next 12 mths. (No point saying 6 mths with the way the time is flying by at the moment):eek:

Anyhow, rang the shop today to hold the f1.8 for me, and got a price. Then asked for trade in and would only give about thirty, so decided to keep it. Will come in handy for beach anyway. Then trade it in with body. Have a friend interested anyhow in mine, for when I do upgrade.......so will see.

Just for info, shop also informed me, that due to damage to factory during earthquake and tsunami I presume, the 50mm f1.4's wont be available till after August!!

I imagine the price will go up drastically too perhaps:(

mumof2 wrote: »
    Just for info, shop also informed me, that due to damage to factory during earthquake and tsunami I presume, the 50mm f1.4's wont be available till after August!!

I imagine the price will go up drastically too perhaps:(

Is this stuff not all put together in Hong Kong? :confused:

Is this stuff not all put together in Hong Kong? :confused:

Dont know about that, but did read in the paper shortly after the disaster in Japan, that Canon were one of the affected factories over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

mumof2 wrote: »
    Dont know about that, but did read in the paper shortly after the disaster in Japan, that Canon were one of the affected factories over there.

Heard it suggested somewhere else that Nikon is suffering, but because Canon is bigger it has more factories in more places and isn't doing too badly. It may be that certain lenses are produced in certain factories?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

d800 apparently was delayed as a result anyway

<shakes fit>

Telchak wrote: »
    Heard it suggested somewhere else that Nikon is suffering, but because Canon is bigger it has more factories in more places and isn't doing too badly. It may be that certain lenses are produced in certain factories?

Yeah, could be possible, and yes Nikon on list too, as well as many others:(

Sorry to hear that melekalikimaka!! I was told August for the lens (50mmF1.4), not sure about cameras............

Advertisement