Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best take away in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Mozzerella cheese,marinara sauce and bacon?

Oh dear Lord...I wouldn't have been able to contain myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Shryke wrote: »
    I like La Salsa the best. Huge delicious portions for a decent price.

Not the one next to sally longs there 1 eur dearer for the burger meal than la salsa down by shop street, you cant beat it:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Thanks for the tip Jonjo.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Mozzerella cheese,marinara sauce and bacon?

Oh dear Lord...I wouldn't have been able to contain myself.

Wait even better would have been that on a chicken fillet burger.

I've never had La Salsa,what are the burritos like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

haven't eaten in La Salsa for a good while but always found there food way too greasy. no matter what i got the aftertaste was always grease.

• Advertisement

Wait even better would have been that on a chicken fillet burger.

pretty big if i remember right, the chicken caesar was my fave. Sometimes found the rice in them was hard/burnt though.

Hmmm...might try it as an alternative to a kebab some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I had Capones chips for the first time last week. Jesus, they were savage; best chips I've had in Galway bar none. Proper Italian chipper chips. Serious nyomage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

tried a pizza from Pizza and Pasta Napoli beside Neachtains last night, unreal, hands down best pizza in Galway, authentically Italian based on the Italian guy making it. Prices very good too.

Pizza Napoli is hands down the best pizza i've ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

They're quite nice actually, but very filling. I'd only go for a half-burrito if they have them.
    bryanjf wrote: »

I don't get the number of people who've been saying that. I tasted it for the first time a few weeks ago and I have to say, I was really disappointed. I've had much nicer pizza elsewhere. Ray's New York Pizza beside the Central Bank in Dublin is a lot tastier. And I honestly think I preferred Ed's in Eyre Square when it was open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Has the chipper part of Apache (sp?) opened yet?
    I was looking at their breakfast menu last week and its the cheapest in town (veggie with all the bits for a fiver). Breakfast stops at ten or something so no no good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Where's Norios?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

It's beside Gleann na ri

I don't get the number of people who've been saying that. I tasted it for the first time a few weeks ago and I have to say, I was really disappointed. I've had much nicer pizza elsewhere. Ray's New York Pizza beside the Central Bank in Dublin is a lot tastier. And I honestly think I preferred Ed's in Eyre Square when it was open.
    Eds was the best in Galway by a mile, id go there ahead of Napoli if it was still open, but the ones in Napoli are very good, far fresher and more authentic than the likes of Monroes with their burnt cheese top. The fresh pizzas are better than the slices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's really funny you said that... I spotted Rays in Dublin and we went in to grab a quick bite a while back after being at a gig before legging it West:)
    I had thought to myself 'mmm, slices, just like Napoli in Galway - yum'. Well I was reeeeally disappointed, no flavour at all in their plain pizza, and really dry. I had a bite of my friends (think it was pesto) one with extra stuff, and only marginally better. Their chips and dip was grand, but I think Napoli beats them hands down. The sauce on the pizza in Napoli is particularly good.

I am still mourning Bianconi though...

just had an 'after Roisin' Vinnies and seriously poor, cannot understand how anybody thinks its good. Got a mexican fries (average)and chicken fillet burger(or deep fried chicken burger from Dunnes), really poor and wont be going back again. Real let down given the rubbish some people say about it. Average at best and thats being very very fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

just had an 'after Roisin' Vinnies and seriously poor, cannot understand how anybody thinks its good. Got a mexican fries (average)and chicken fillet burger(or deep fried chicken burger from Dunnes), really poor and wont be going back again. Real let down given the rubbish some people say about it. Average at best and thats beng very very fair.

post of the day, i used to go there befoe but not anymoe too expensive for chiops to the kebabd house now with me for my my 5 euro burger meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's really funny you said that... I spotted Rays in Dublin and we went in to grab a quick bite a while back after being at a gig before legging it West:)
    I had thought to myself 'mmm, slices, just like Napoli in Galway - yum'. Well I was reeeeally disappointed, no flavour at all in their plain pizza, and really dry. I had a bite of my friends (think it was pesto) one with extra stuff, and only marginally better. Their chips and dip was grand, but I think Napoli beats them hands down. The sauce on the pizza in Napoli is particularly good.

Ah man, you should have tried their Irish Breakfast or Pepperoni pizzas. Both were amazing...
    just had an 'after Roisin' Vinnies and seriously poor, cannot understand how anybody thinks its good. Got a mexican fries (average)and chicken fillet burger(or deep fried chicken burger from Dunnes), really poor and wont be going back again. Real let down given the rubbish some people say about it. Average at best and thats being very very fair.

I don't go for the burgers or chicken. I always get sausages and chips. Their chips are lovely and the sausages are your typical chipper-types. Nothing gooey or messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missfemale

tried a pizza from Pizza and Pasta Napoli beside Neachtains last night, unreal, hands down best pizza in Galway, authentically Italian based on the Italian guy making it. Prices very good too.

this man speaks the gosspil when it comes to pizza in Galway u cannot find better than this spot Jesus is sell my mother for some

I had Capones chips for the first time last week. Jesus, they were savage; best chips I've had in Galway bar none. Proper Italian chipper chips. Serious nyomage:D

Where's Capones? Is that the place in Knocknacarra?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Eds was the best in Galway by a mile, id go there ahead of Napoli if it was still open, but the ones in Napoli are very good, far fresher and more authentic than the likes of Monroes with their burnt cheese top. The fresh pizzas are better than the slices too.

Ed is the Pizza chef in Napoli, just so you know...

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ed is the Pizza chef in Napoli, just so you know...

What? Since when? I thought it was an Italian guy?

kraggy wrote: »
    What? Since when? I thought it was an Italian guy?

Trust me, Ed is the Pizza Chef.

Edit:

I'd suspected it for a while but it was only confirmed to me about 2 days ago by another American Chef, from New Jersey, who who would know Ed pretty well.

Apparently he's been there since pretty much the day he closed his own place.

inisboffin wrote: »

I am still mourning Bianconi though...

Bianconi was pretty epic!
    I love visiting their restaurant when I'm in Sligo for lunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Edit:

I'd suspected it for a while but it was only confirmed to me about 2 days ago by another American Chef, from New Jersey, who who would know Ed pretty well.

There are 2 italian guys and an american guy working in there cooking pizza, No idea who they are but the pizza is always good

Edit:

When that place opened and the months following that, I was in there regularly and not once did I see Ed in there. It was always an Italian making the pizza.

And what do you mean "suspected"? It's not like the pizza is made behind closed doors there. It's made in front of the customers. As I said, when I ate there, it was always an Italian guy.

Just to confirm, Pizza Napoli is the place beside Neachtains, yeah?

kraggy wrote: »

Edit:

When that place opened and the months following that, I was in there regularly and not once did I see Ed in there. It was always an Italian making the pizza.

And what do you mean "suspected"? It's not like the pizza is made behind closed doors there. It's made in front of the customers. As I said, when I ate there, it was always an Italian guy.

Just to confirm, Pizza Napoli is the place beside Neachtains, yeah?

Suspected in that the crust and sauce are very like his were.

As above, an American works there, that American is the pizza chef, his name is Ed, he's the former owner if Ed's New York Pizza, he's been there a fair while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

post of the day, i used to go there befoe but not anymoe too expensive for chiops to the kebabd house now with me for my my 5 euro burger meal.

for me, (I always raved about the kebab house), I have completely gone off it - can't eat there anymore. Not cause of the kebabs (used to be lovely) but because of certain staff. I have noticed one in particular being anything but hygenic - looks dirty, stands outside smoking, and on one occasion they 'blew their nose" into the sink by closing one nostril with a finger - you know the way - did not realise I was there - had to walk out of the place. Reallyl if you work in the food industry you should at least be hygenic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Chi in Westside is worth a mention. Not long open but it's got an Asian Tea House style menu and delivers which is handy for those of us outside the range of the Tea House.

Many miles from your standard Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Robbo wrote: »
    Chi in Westside is worth a mention. Not long open but it's got an Asian Tea House style menu and delivers which is handy for those of us outside the range of the Tea House.

Many miles from your standard Chinese.

I am going to give this a try on Saturday,

Advertisement