Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best take away in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seaneh wrote: »
    Suspected in that the crust and sauce are very like his were.

As above, an American works there, that American is the pizza chef, his name is Ed, he's the former owner if Ed's New York Pizza, he's been there a fair while.
    Ya id known he was there for ages, never thought to mention it. His pizza was always awesome. Ive had him make ours the last couple of visits but its usually the little Italian guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

That German place was very good. I will miss it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Robbo wrote: »
    Chi in Westside is worth a mention. Not long open but it's got an Asian Tea House style menu and delivers which is handy for those of us outside the range of the Tea House.

Many miles from your standard Chinese.

I think it is owned by the da tang people or something.
    Their beef brisket broth is excellent. Good fresh veg etc. too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

+1 for Chi. The food is delicious, and it's great value (especially considering the quality of the food).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

I had Chi earlier and didn't think it was great. Really disappointing bland Thai Red Curry and a Thai Beef Salad which was quite chewy (although quite tasty).
    A place like that should have a Thai Red sauce DOWN! I've made it myself with the Mae Ploy paste and it was way better!
    I'd try it again though as some of the other options look quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lolarob

kraggy wrote: »
    Trust me, Ed is the Pizza Chef.

Edit:

I'd suspected it for a while but it was only confirmed to me about 2 days ago by another American Chef, from New Jersey, who who would know Ed pretty well.

Apparently he's been there since pretty much the day he closed his own place.

When that place opened and the months following that, I was in there regularly and not once did I see Ed in there. It was always an Italian making the pizza.

And what do you mean "suspected"? It's not like the pizza is made behind closed doors there. It's made in front of the customers. As I said, when I ate there, it was always an Italian guy.

Just to confirm, Pizza Napoli is the place beside Neachtains, yeah?

Suspected in that the crust and sauce are very like his were.

As above, an American works there, that American is the pizza chef, his name is Ed, he's the former owner if Ed's New York Pizza, he's been there a fair while.

The chef or owner of pizza Napoli is not Ed from Eds New York Pizza. It's 'the Italian guy'. He's a friend of mine and all the recipies are his. Hope that clears all that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Where is Norio's??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Shane St. wrote: »
    Where is Norio's??

Norios is located on Gleann na ri, Merlin Park, Galway. This tasty Irish cuisine serves a wide range of classic menu options as well as some modern dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I phoned Chi to place an order for collection. Pleasant girl took my number and order and then said that they were busy and to collect my order in 45 minutes to one and a half hour's time. WTF?

What is I arrived after 45 minutes? Would I then be told to wait another 45 minutes? Or more?

I cancelled my order.

Grrrrrrr,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Tried the new Fish and Chip shop in Salthill yesterday and the meal i had was delicious. I went for a piece of cod €5.50 and chips €2 (25 cent extra for large).
    The fish was fresh still fluffy with that melt in the mouth texture, the batter was light and crispy and the chips were also cut fresh and tasted yum. The added bonus for me is it wasn't greasy which i personally find sickening as i don't eat take away often.
    They also do burgers and chicken etc usual take away stuff.
    It looks like inside the place isn't fully finished inside but that's the only issue i saw.
    Service was also excellent even if the guy behind the counter still seemed like he was getting to know the ropes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

lolarob wrote: »
    The chef or owner of pizza Napoli is not Ed from Eds New York Pizza. It's 'the Italian guy'. He's a friend of mine and all the recipies are his. Hope that clears all that up!

Must have been going mad when I thought I was having a chat to Ed the other week so...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

padi89 wrote: »
    Tried the new Fish and Chip shop in Salthill yesterday and the meal i had was delicious. I went for a piece of cod €5.50 and chips €2 (25 cent extra for large).
    The fish was fresh still fluffy with that melt in the mouth texture, the batter was light and crispy and the chips were also cut fresh and tasted yum. The added bonus for me is it wasn't greasy which i personally find sickening as i don't eat take away often.
    They also do burgers and chicken etc usual take away stuff.
    It looks like inside the place isn't fully finished inside but that's the only issue i saw.
    Service was also excellent even if the guy behind the counter still seemed like he was getting to know the ropes.

Where is it? Haven't been to Salthill in a few months so not a clue whats going on out there

Must have been going mad when I thought I was having a chat to Ed the other week so...
    'Ed' works there, hes not the owner though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

'Ed' works there, hes not the owner though.

I never claimed he was...
    I said he was the pizza chef.

He is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Where is it? Haven't been to Salthill in a few months so not a clue whats going on out there

Beside subway

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Would have said that the Chippy at the top of the market/St Nicholas Church rd was one of them but noticed it seems to have gone out of business very recently.
    Seems that anybody setting up shop in there goes out of business within about 6 months. Think this guy had a bit longer though.

Did the guy who was in there around the turn of the millenium who was having trouble with an absentee landlord curse the place when he left or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

padi89 wrote: »
    Beside subway

It is actually located in the old Subway shop. Subway closed their Salthill branch. I believe the operator of the Fish & Chip shop is the same guy who had the Subway franchise.

I had a gourmet burger and chips. The burger was above average but nothing special. The chips were delicious.

Next time I will try the fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

Stevolende wrote: »
    Would have said that the Chippy at the top of the market/St Nicholas Church rd was one of them but noticed it seems to have gone out of business very recently.
    Seems that anybody setting up shop in there goes out of business within about 6 months. Think this guy had a bit longer though.

Did the guy who was in there around the turn of the millenium who was having trouble with an absentee landlord curse the place when he left or something?

harry fitz?? is that closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

RINO87 wrote: »
    harry fitz?? is that closed?
    was that the old place? Couldn't remember name just the great food.
    Hadn't been in for a while, walked by last week or possibly end of the one before that. Place was closed when I'd expected it to be open and had all the tables stacked up inside.
    I think it now has all the signs and stuff taken down. Unscrewed from the wooden hoarding etc.

Seem to have been 4 or 5 businesses in the same premises that did pretty good takeaway stuff then closed way too soon after opening.

Did this last place last over a year?
    Not sure how long the crepe place lasted there or if there was something else in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was just reading the thread about McDonagh's having the best chips in Ireland (as voted by Irish Times readers), and I remembered that I was in the new chipper in Salthill, "Salthill Traditional Fish & Chips" a few weeks ago.

I bought 2 battered sausages and large chips (<< chips were way nicer than McDonaghs). The food was very tasty and reasonably priced. The food came in a brown paper bag too (important IMO :)). Also the man who was working there, possibly the owner, was nice and friendly. The only negative I would have is that the battered sausages were a bit too greasy.
    The next time I feel like some takeaway chips, I'll think I'll go back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

+1 for Salthill fish and chip shop
    Had a chicken burger was lovely, and tasted the fish and chips my boyfriend got- gorgeous :)
    Also Salt and pepper in Salthill, Vinnys, Nicos in claregalway and for pizza has 2 be apache!!!!
    Capital kebab way nicer than charcol grill!!!:pac::pac:

+1 for Salthill fish and chip shop
    Had a chicken burger was lovely, and tasted the fish and chips my boyfriend got- gorgeous :)
    Also Salt and pepper in Salthill, Vinnys, Nicos in claregalway and for pizza has 2 be apache!!!!
    Capital kebab way nicer than charcol grill!!!:pac::pac:
    We have already established that Pizza Pasta Napoli is by far and away the best pizza in Galway, thanks though.;) Also Vinnys is muck but i do agree Capital is better than Charcoal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

zoo pizza on the tuam road is awesome pizza..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Haven't had a Norio's since the Summer given my move to Dublin. I intend on going to Galway in three weeks, can't wait for the kebab

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

barone wrote: »
    zoo pizza on the tuam road is awesome pizza..
    With a name like that you'd wonder what goes on the pizzas..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I was all about Napoli and to lesser extent Roberta's in Salthill but Zoo Pizza is very good altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

With a name like that you'd wonder what goes on the pizzas..

I here some of them have pieces of animal meat as toppings. You're right to be suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hey, was wondering if anyone had an email address to get in contact with Norio's?

I just wanted to eh, tell them how great my order was.

I think at least one of the items in the dinner box may in fact have once been related to a chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

I'm loving Chi for takeaways atm, so glad they opened, it's such a refreshing change from your bog standard chicken balls and chips places! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Where are they?

Advertisement