Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil V Scotland 2pm k.o UTV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Neymar is all that by the way. Don't mind those who don't rate a player before he plays in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Caldwell could of given away two penos today

He'd struggle to mark Stephen Hawking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's ridiculous that he is being hyped up so much with a good performance v Scotland in a friendly.

It's more the ITV pundits and commentators than in here that are driving me mad.

You'd expect it in here:rolleyes:
    Well I watch loads of Brazilian and South American football and he is all that. This is not just some freak performance and he has been doing it for Brazil since he world cup too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yakult wrote: »
    Have you been following Neymar playing for Santo's?
    Its fair to say no judging by your posts.
    You come into a match thread with nothing to add bar the usual dull crap that gets posted in this forum dragging the thread thru s**t. Expected of course but still annoying.

Anyway, enjoyable game. Scoreline isnt a shocker by any means.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

:rolleyes:

great response ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

eagle eye wrote: »
    Neymar is all that by the way. Don't mind those who don't rate a player before he plays in Europe the Premier League.

FYP :P

great response ;)

You were going off on a tangent about how good he is for Santos.
    I never disputed that he's a young lad with lots of ability.

That dosent mean he should be hyped up to the max every decent game he has. He was good today, took his goal well and had a nice few touches and turns. But he was nothing spectacular like was being made out.

If somebody else that's less well known churned out that performance, he wouldn't get mentioned half as much.

Thats what I call over hyping a player, **** over every little thing they do, making him seem like God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

neymar was quality today, 50 goals for santos before his 19th birthday is impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

That dosent mean he should be hyped up to the max every decent game he has. He was good today, took his goal well and had a nice few touches and turns. But he was nothing spectacular like was being made out.

If somebody else that's less well known churned out that performance, he wouldn't get mentioned half as much.

Thats what I call over hyping a player, **** over every little thing they do, making him seem like God.

Cmon man, lighten up and let yourself go. A very exciting young talent has come along, why not get excited? Ive been watching him for about a year now and he is class for his age. He will be up there with Messi and C.Ronaldo of he doesnt go mental and does an Adriano. Start enjoying football.

• Advertisement

I dont recall anyone going overboard with praising him. He got two goals, he deserved some credit and thats what he got.
    Show me where people were having this "wankfest" or whatever you said over him?

As for the comment on lesser known players etc. - Probably, but alot of people havent even seen Neymar play a game I bet. And I rarely have seen him mentioned around here.

Its when people start going "He's the next pele" so on and so fourth, then you may have a point.

I dont recall anyone going overboard with praising him. He got two goals, he deserved some credit and thats what he got.
    Show me where people were having this "wankfest" or whatever you said over him?

As for the comment on lesser known players etc. - Probably, but alot of people havent even seen Neymar play a game I bet. And I rarely have seen him mentioned around here.

Its when people start going "He's the next pele" so on and so fourth, then you may have a point.

The ITV commentators were saying he's the next goldenboy of Brazil(and that's a quote) etc. They basically spent the whole of half time saying how great he is going to be, they interviewed Kenny Miller after the game and said ''That Neymar, he's something special isn't he?'' and they went on and on about him after the game aswel. I thought it was a bit much considering he wasn't that spectacular. He was very good and deserved some credit but no more. Added to all that I saw a good few comments here about him and probably overreacted. I didn't mean to put him down or anything because I think he's a fantastic talent, his record at Santos and underage internationals prove this. It just frustrates me to see players like him being hyped up over everything they do, it puts alot of pressure on them and they often buckle under it. I know he's probably not going to know what ITV said about him, but I shudder to think at how expectations are growing for him in Brazil over good performances that are made out to be spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Brazil camp saying he was racially abused today by some Scottish fans. Didn't pick up on this watching the game?

Nunu wrote: »
    Brazil camp saying he was racially abused today by some Scottish fans. Didn't pick up on this watching the game?

Wouldnt surprise me. The Scots are disgusting overly angry people, you only have to look at the old firm to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nunu wrote: »

There was a banana thrown on the pitch at one stage

Pauleta wrote: »
    Wouldnt surprise me. The Scots are disgusting overly angry people, you only have to look at the old firm to see that.

Talk about stereotyping!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Bit of a sweeping generalisation there no?!:pac:
    When I lived over there I thought they were a lovely bunch personally.

The ITV commentators were saying he's the next goldenboy of Brazil(and that's a quote) etc. They basically spent the whole of half time saying how great he is going to be, they interviewed Kenny Miller after the game and said ''That Neymar, he's something special isn't he?'' and they went on and on about him after the game aswel. I thought it was a bit much considering he wasn't that spectacular. He was very good and deserved some credit but no more. Added to all that I saw a good few comments here about him and probably overreacted. I didn't mean to put him down or anything because I think he's a fantastic talent, his record at Santos and underage internationals prove this. It just frustrates me to see players like him being hyped up over everything they do, it puts alot of pressure on them and they often buckle under it. I know he's probably not going to know what ITV said about him, but I shudder to think at how expectations are growing for him in Brazil over good performances that are made out to be spectacular.

I had the game on mute :pac:
    But I see you point if ITV were going on about him that much.
    Does sound very OTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Their was seemingly a banana thrown onto the pitch, absolutely disgusting if so.

Although i dont even know where to begin with this quote in all honesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

As a fan of Neymar he really is the shinning light in the Brazil team, the lad is going to be a top player but he needs to find the right club in Europe to help him to reach the level he can.

Im suprised by the racial abuse he got, thought the Scots weren't like that especially in a friendly game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I think Neymar is the greatest player in the history of football, his touch, his control, his vision, awesome tackler, excellent lover..

tbh the lad has everything.

If only he played in the premiership...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Agreed. He's probably the greatest player in the world now, surely worth well over 150m. Was a cut above the rest today, everything he touched turned to gold...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It's quite clear that Pauleta = Alan Partridge. This is the only explanation of his blind hatred of the Scottish.

"It's funny, because if you look closely, all the drunk people in England are actually Scottish. So I went to Scotland to see if all their drunk people were English.......but no, they were Scottish too."

"It's called cholesterol. Scottish people eat it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    There was a banana thrown on the pitch at one stage

Ironic if true, considering Scott Brown was the one acting the most simian on the pitch today. Disgusting really.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Ironic if true, considering Scott Brown was the one acting the most simian on the pitch today. Disgusting really.

Its true.

neymar isnt going to form a complaint. SFA are denying the incident too..

Here's the evidence for the doubters..

Only one idiot at the end of the day and he could have been English.

Let's face it, the match was on at the emirates in London. Brazil were playing. Let's not jump to conclusions and tarnish the Scottish with the one brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Here's the evidence for the doubters..

Only one idiot at the end of the day and he could have been English.

Let's face it, the match was on at the emirates in London. Brazil were playing. Let's not jump to conclusions and tarnish the Scottish with the one brush.

Why say English then :confused:, could be any nationality

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why say English then :confused:, could be any nationality

It could have been.

But it was most likely an English or Scottish fan.

It could have been.

But it was most likely an English or Scottish fan.

More likely Scottish then English in fairness, not having a go :) still don't understand why you mentioned English though, when really you could include dozens of different nationalities with the match being held in London and at The Emirates :)

More likely Scottish then English in fairness, not having a go :) still don't understand why you mentioned English though, when really you could include dozens of different nationalities with the match being held in London and at The Emirates :)

Well I would have assumed the Scottish, English and Brazilians made up the majority of fans in the stadium and it's unlikely the culprit was Brazillian so the odds are it was a Scottish or English person. But your right, it was mist likely a Scottish person as I assume there was more of them present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Roberto Carlos was also shown the banana in Russia there recently. Russia one of most racist countries around, I dread the wc being there

• Advertisement

Well I would have assumed the Scottish, English and Brazilians made up the majority of fans in the stadium and it's unlikely the culprit was Brazillian so the odds are it was a Scottish or English person. But your right, it was mist likely a Scottish person as I assume there was more of them present.

London to an extent is kind of different though, you tend to have many different cultural groups at matches, particularly at The Emirates.

I do take your point though, it is only one fan and it shouldn't tar the vast majority of the fans with the same brush

London to an extent is kind of different though, you tend to have many different cultural groups at matches, particularly at The Emirates.

I do take your point though, it is only one fan and it shouldn't tar the vast majority of the fans with the same brush

Aye, I forgot just how multicultural London was for a minute there.

Aye, I forgot just how multicultural London was for a minute there.

Just really going by my experiences at Arsenal matches, you would really be amazed at the different cultural groups which is great to see. :)

We did have a ban at Arsenal on national flags for a couple of seasons after a dispute between a Greek and Turkish supporter/s over a Turkish Cypriot flag been flown in the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Headshot wrote: »
    Roberto Carlos was also shown the banana in Russia there recently. Russia one of most racist countries around, I dread the wc being there
    Russia is a fantantic country full of wonderful honest people. I'm delighted they got the World cup and hopefully the Republic can make it there as i'd love to be going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Rubbish

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Their was seemingly a banana thrown onto the pitch, absolutely disgusting if so.

Although i dont even know where to begin with this quote in all honesty

Mate, I'd begin - and then end - at reading the poster's name. Once I've seen those few letters, I skip to the next post. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It is a disgusting act to throw a banana onto a football pitch, I hope whoever threw it can be found and deservedly punished for it, Nobody wants to see that happening.

I don't think Neymar is over reacting with the above incident, but he may have been misquoted with this
    Neymar wrote:
    They were jeering me a lot, even when I was about to kick the penalty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/9438033.stm

I think it is wrong of him to link the two and come to the conclusion that the Scottish fans were racially abusing him. He has to understand that the jeering of penalty takers is common place.

The Scottish Fa seem adamant that it was not a Scottish fan, with it being London it really could have been a person of any nationality and background.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

So basically you criticise the idiocy of one individual by making a completely xenophobic statement against an entire nation?

You are no different to the guy who threw the banana tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

It is a disgusting act to throw a banana onto a football pitch, I hope whoever threw it can be found and deservedly punished for it, Nobody wants to see that happening.

I don't think Neymar is over reacting with the above incident, but he may have been misquoted with this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/9438033.stm

I think it is wrong of him to link the two and come to the conclusion that the Scottish fans were racially abusing him. He has to understand that the jeering of penalty takers is common place.

The Scottish Fa seem adamant that it was not a Scottish fan, with it being London it really could have been a person of any nationality and background.

The problem I have with this is that he made serious allegations on a global media stage and then decided that he didn't want to have anything more to do with it. I'd like nothing more than to see people responsible for racism in football punished but all this won't do anything to help combat racism and will just leave a bad tatse in everyone's mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

The Tartan Army might discover that mud sticks. And often unfairly.

The post-match allegations from Neymar regarding his treatment during Sunday's meeting between Brazil and Scotland will have been published around the world. Although his words were not explicit, the implication from the 19-year-old was clear: Neymar believed he had been singled out for booing during Brazil's 2-0 victory on an issue of skin colour.

That sentiment was given credence by the removal of a banana from the field of play after the outstanding Neymar claimed his second goal of the afternoon. And yet, the banana incident remains confusing.

At worst, it would be a deplorable throwback to the 1980s, when such antics were displayed towards black players on British grounds. Few Scottish supporters need reminding of the treatment dished out to Mark Walters in his early days as a Rangers player.

But that banana emanated from the north end of the Emirates stadium, an area populated largely by those supporting Brazil. Today, the match commander from Sunday's friendly encounter took time to praise the Scottish support inside the stadium.

The only eye-witness testimony available thus far, via Twitter, claims the banana appeared as a result of South American over-exuberence. Moreover, there has been no formal complaint made by the Brazilian Football Confederation.

Nonetheless, how common is it for people to take bananas into football matches? The timing too raises questions given the recent shocking image of another Brazilian player, Roberto Carlos, being taunted by the same item during a game in Russia. Effectively, Sunday's banana snapshot was an image which people would instantly and historically link with racist behaviour. The problem for Scottish (and English) football is that until evidence appears to the contrary, people who have seen the image will probably understandably believe the worst.

Neymar's own comments, as misleading as they may be in veiled reference to Scottish supporters, linked the banana throwing to jeering towards him in the friendly.

"I feel great and scored two but what happened with the banana is sad... They were jeering me a lot, even when I was about to kick the penalty. This atmosphere of racism is totally sad."
    In fact, the two topics should be treated as exactly that; separate.
    In general terms, followers of Scotland's national team have plenty flaws. Their anti-English sentiment can become tiresome, a willingness to celebrate in defeat has done little to aid the national team and fondness for over-indulgence with alcohol often portrays anything but a positive image of the country they purport to represent.

Nonetheless, and thankfully, abuse of players on the grounds of skin colour is as close to non-existent as you will find. The theory that thousands of fans gave Neymar a hard time on Sunday because of colour-prejudice, then, has next to no basis. The testimony of Hamish Husband, the Tartan Army's spokesman, calling the suggestion "aboslute tosh", is fair in this regard. Neymar had riled the Scottish contingent for - in their belief - embellishing a series of tackles, including one which won a penalty kick.

It was needless for that sizeable Scottish following to jeer Neymar from the field when he was eventualy substituted. The youngster had, after all, lit up the contest with a terrific display, but that behaviour had resonance in football rather than anything more sinister. Other black players in the Brazilian team, Ramires among them, were ignored by Scottish fans.

If events in London were, however, to prove a stark reminder that racism on grounds of skin colour remains an issue in football then authorities have to act. No words of condemnation are strong enough for such antics, inside a football ground or otherwise.

But for Scotland's supporters to be associated with racism due to the unproven actions of one person among a crowd of 53,087 would be a blatant disservice

Taken from The Guardian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/29/german-teenager-banana-brazil
    The youngster was sitting in the North Bank of Emirates Stadium, an area of the stadium which was occupied by the official allocation of tickets to Brazil supporters, when he threw the banana onto the pitch during the second half of the match.

"The Metropolitan Police is satisfied there was no racist intent and have confirmed that no further action will be taken."

The Brazilian Football Federation, apparently upon realising the bizarre chain of events, has made no formal complaint about the incident.

****ing Germans, a disgusting and overly angry people....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

I'm sitting in Glasgow right now, surrounded by Scots and they all seem pretty fine by me! I've been living in Scotland a couple of years, working a bit out in Govan and never heard any racist / xenophobic remarks.

It's not to say it doesn't happen but I imagine no more so than what I experienced in Ireland - usually by a miniscule but loud minority.

Be nice to Scots!

To quote a famous Scotsman "Typical Germans" :D

SM01 wrote: »
    I'm sitting in Glasgow right now, surrounded by Scots and they all seem pretty fine by me! I've been living in Scotland a couple of years, working a bit out in Govan and never heard any racist / xenophobic remarks.

It's not to say it doesn't happen but I imagine no more so than what I experienced in Ireland - usually by a miniscule but loud minority.

Be nice to Scots!

Surely not? You cant be Irish in Govan! Its against the law!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

****ing Germans, a disgusting and overly angry people....

erm...I am German, do I cause any trouble? ;)

Anyway, this one came up on a website from Germany: http://www.sport1.de/de/fussball/fus_international/newspage_372198.html

Can be translated via Google Translate ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    erm...I am German, do I cause any trouble? ;)

Anyway, this one came up on a website from Germany: http://www.sport1.de/de/fussball/fus_international/newspage_372198.html

Can be translated via Google Translate ;)

lol, i was being sarcastic mate, the same comments were directed at Scots, but in all seriousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

lol, i was being sarcastic mate, the same comments were directed at Scots, but in all seriousness.

I knew that, that's why I used this one here...;)

But a German throwing bananas? I guess they invented it, as far as I know. And it's still very popular :(

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I knew that, that's why I had this one here...;)

But a German throwing bananas? I guess they invented it, as far as I know. And it's still very popular :(

The Police have said that they are satisfied that no racism was intended, so it seems he wasnt doing it as a racist gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The Police have said that they are satisfied that no racism was intended, so it seems he wasnt doing it as a racist gesture.

Yeah :confused: Makes you think what it could have been.

seriously? Missed the bin? Doesnt like nanas? it wasnt a fyffes and he was copying the tv monkey?

• Advertisement
Advertisement