Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interim - Adding to skillset

Options
  • 27-03-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've read through a good few threads, and looked on a few websites suggested on this forum but haven't really found what I'm looking for, because truth is I don't know, so I thought I'd post here.

I'm working full time and I'm doing a 4yr pt hons degree in computing. I'm only 1 year in and the exams will be over end of may. I won't be back to college until September, and I'm looking to fill the gap with some certifications and improve my skill set during this time. I hope to move to an I.T. role within the organisation, but will go elsewhere if that's not possible.

I'm not sure where to start though, and what will be the most beneficial to my CV and most beneficial to me for college. Ideally a good mix of both.

Just to give you some background, got into I.T. 10 years through a C&G cert in I.T. and programming through Fas. Got a phone support / helpdesk job off the back of it, and eventually moved into a software dev role within the same company (very small outfit). I was made redundant 4 yrs later, and having only the C&G qualification, found it very, very difficult to find work.

I'm 30 and started with 'NT4', and for the most part know my way around the windows OS. Unix/Linux not a clue. I'm a little bit hairy when it comes to networks and DB's but only because its been so long since I was working with them. (Did a SQL course with Calyx through the job about 8yrs ago, cert of attendance only). I built my own PC a couple of weeks ago thanks to a spec from the ‘PC Building & Upgrading’ lads. I was pretty decent with VB3-6 but was made redundant before .net was mainstream so have no exposure to this.

I have tried some sample questions just now on Comptia A+ sample exams, and they seem to be fairly easy, maybe just a case of going through a course book. Not sure about Network+. Year 2 of the degree, apart from programming, will focus alot on DB's, Data comms and Networking so something in this area might be ideal as a precursor to next semester.

My questions are;
    Would the Comptia A+ and Network+ be irrelevant in 4 years time beside the degree?
    Would a CCNA or CCNP be too much to take on for the summer? (Heard its tough)
    In terms of what I have had exposure to, is there any exams I could do straight away, without investing too much time, as in just go over a few notes and sample exams?
    Is there anything out there based around Multimedia and Design? (An area I'm really interested in)
    Is there anything else out there that ticks all the boxes?

Hope someone can help, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

My questions are;
    Would the Comptia A+ and Network+ be irrelevant in 4 years time beside the degree?
    Would a CCNA or CCNP be too much to take on for the summer? (Heard its tough)
    In terms of what I have had exposure to, is there any exams I could do straight away, without investing too much time, as in just go over a few notes and sample exams?
    Is there anything out there based around Multimedia and Design? (An area I'm really interested in)
    Is there anything else out there that ticks all the boxes?

Hope someone can help, thanks.

The Comptia certifications have always stood the test of time IMO, saying that - I skipped them and I feel that they only demonstrate the very basics.

CCNA & CCNP - it really depends on how much you know at the moment. If you can completely immerse yourself in these technologies its not a problem. I would look at CCENT first perhaps, get the ICND1 Cisco Press Study guide and read it cover to cover... see what looks familiar to you in there.

Its good to set a goal by booking the exam, if your not so comfortable try 2 months for CCENT.

There are some exams that you may be able to take with very little study e.g. Windows XP 70-270. Do keep in mind that these exams are usually more complicated than real world - do not underestimate them!

There is more value in spending time with the technologies and not achieving certification than rushing just for a piece of paper.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Thanks for the quick response iRock.
    iRock wrote: »
    There is more value in spending time with the technologies and not achieving certification than rushing just for a piece of paper.

I completely agree with you, and I'm not looking for just the paper. But, I have built up a range of skills over the years, that aren't visible when someone looks at my CV. (Maybe a CV writing workshop is the answer :P) And just asked this to see if it would be possible to turn some uncertified realworld experience I have gained into a physical certification, such as the WinXP cert. Would this still be relevant in 3/4 years?

Definitely take on board the CCENT cert. Sounds like a great place to start. Could you recommend an entry level cert around DB's or DB administration that I could also squeeze in over the summer?

Also, a role I would be interested in after I finish college (which is a long way away for now) would be Project Management in an technical area, and just wondering if the PMP pre-reqs of PM experience, could include college projects?

Advertisement