Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realy nice Trickshot in black ops !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

krudler wrote: »
    Thats exactly it, I wager anyone who plays with a kb&m all the time would get utterly demolished playing with a joypad, its not skill, its options. Are you a better player because you have a better control system? or are you a better player because you use a worse control system and still manage to play well?
    I used to play fps on pc all the time a few years back, quake, unreal tournament, half life 2, far cry etc etc so its not like I'm some noob at fps games who only likes Call of Duty.
    Somewhat true, but you're only playing well against other people who are using the "worse" control scheme, the same as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

(off topic!)

One of my favourite frag movies, awesome music too!

Player is v00 playing Q3 cpma

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

stop turning this into a legitimate thread of discussion!!

your video is crap and this is what makes me hate playing COD on xbl, bloody children...

shame on you...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nuxxx wrote: »
    One of my favourite frag movies, awesome music too!

Player is v00 playing Q3 cpma

some MW2 rapeage from Sandy Ravage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

And some rape from me lol.

In fairness tho, i'd agree that the standard of competitive gaming in PC is far higher than on consoles. The skill gap between the best and the really good is massive on most games, games like cs i'd have considered myself to be good when i played and i would be at least in the top 5% in the competitive scene, but that 1% at the top are just on another level, my team would have been lucky to get a couple of rounds off a team like SK or fnatic and thats with me having 7+ years experience. I'd say i would do alrite against the best cod teams on console.

But at the end of the day, everyone is on a level playing field on whatever format you play so the whole "Console noob" thing is kind of silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Magill wrote: »

But at the end of the day, everyone is on a level playing field on whatever format you play so the whole "Console noob" thing is kind of silly.

This a million times, as if spending a small fortune on a pc rig makes you some kind of otherworld skilled gamer, sorry but it doesnt. Is the skill level of fps players on pc high? yes of course it is, but to dismiss console players as these substandard players purely because of the format they play on is just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

So to summarize op...... Meh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the boundries you can push with pc shooters are far higher then consoles. something like quakeworld would just be impossible on a console and unworkable. same goes for games like starcraft though, you could definately play it on a console but it wouldnt be the same game as it is for the pc. thats why games like halo & cod have been built to suit the consoles. they work on them and you can be just as competitive. not every motorsports fan likes formula 1 for example.

as for how quakelive videos are done... im unsure :s ill see if others know though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's actuolly silly when people argueing which is for seriuos and proper pro gamers....

You forget.. In the end of the day it's a game, a free time sink, entertainment...

Yes, pc is more flexible control wise, but for relaxing gaming i prefer xbox now.

saying this as pc gamer now: if you think that you are so pro, and come over from pc to console to rape people then you are mistaken.

In crapy cod, pc version, I loved FFA, I was always top 3 and 90% of times first. Then I switched to xbox recently, and every 5 year old was making me his bitch. Took me awile just to get used to controls.

Now I am better at console shooters, but still in crysis 2, kids raping me...

It sounds silly lads when you fight for superior power!!!! Who gives a ****, you just play on what you prefer. Unless you are. Starcraft guru and competing in gsl ;)

• Advertisement

this one was just released. class stuff from a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It's actuolly silly when people argueing which is for seriuos and proper pro gamers....

saying this as pc gamer now: if you think that you are so pro, and come over from pc to console to rape people then you are mistaken.

In crapy cod, pc version, I loved FFA, I was always top 3 and 90% of times first. Then I switched to xbox recently, and every 5 year old was making me his bitch. Took me awile just to get used to controls.

My arguement always has been that there is a lack of skill in modern fps. In the UT and Quake series, movement is really important, you think those jumps in those quake videos are easy, even the small ones to armors? There not and they require huge amounts of movement skill to make.

Strafejumping requires you be constantly pressing directional keys on the keyboard while moving your mouse at the proper angles to gain speed and move around corners, its really really difficult to get good at. Add to that the insane weapon skill, aim, timing, prediction mapknowledge and experience you need for games like UT and Q3 and you just cannot compare them to any console game, or any cod/cs game even on PC. There true FPS games.

There was a cod video linked here earlier and I dont know if the guy was being sarcastic(I hope so) cause all i see is someguy walking around pressing his fire button

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Regardless of who'd win in the age old argument of PC verses console, OP's vid still sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

krudler wrote: »
    Thats exactly it, I wager anyone who plays with a kb&m all the time would get utterly demolished playing with a joypad, its not skill, its options. Are you a better player because you have a better control system? or are you a better player because you use a worse control system and still manage to play well?
    I used to play fps on pc all the time a few years back, quake, unreal tournament, half life 2, far cry etc etc so its not like I'm some noob at fps games who only likes Call of Duty.

As much as console gamers hate it, there is a skill difference.

The more limitations taken away from a player the more that players personal skill comes into account. Reaction speed and reflexes for example. Playing on a pad really limits how much reflexes and reaction speed come into play, you can't make that turn speed any faster or more accurate no matter how fast and precise you press the thumbstick.

Players with less hardware limitations begin to use more of their personal abilities and train them. Competitive games on the PC become more about the players own abilities, thus more skilled players begin to stand out over the rest.

The same players would be playing on a handicap on a console, still playing well but only able to use a certain amount of their full skill. Thus getting scores similar to people who may only have a fraction of that players reaction speed, timing and reflexes, but rivals that player in other areas of skill (foresight, mindgames, pattern recognition and quick thinking)

There is a lot less skill involved and lot more hand holding in console shooters, where as in PC shooters its completely raw and down to the player. Due to this fact alone, more skilled players on the PC would be the result. Because on a console you don't get to utilise all of your abilities. The consoles will even the playing field a lot more. Where as on the PC its fully down to player skill.

It will be interesting when some future method of control comes into play that allows even better human input over a mouse and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

LanceStorm wrote: »
    stop turning this into a legitimate thread of discussion!!

Exactly, bin the thread, or rename it and remove the OP from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sisko wrote: »

The more limitations taken away from a player the more that players personal skill comes into account. Reaction speed and reflexes for example. Playing on a pad really limits how much reflexes and reaction speed come into play, you can't make that turn speed any faster or more accurate no matter how fast and precise you press the thumbstick.

Clear that a lot of the commentators don't understand the mechanics of some of the systems e.g. autoaim: not knowing you can turn it off and the like of the above.... All of the top rated players have thumb sensitivity set to the highest level, it makes a major difference in speed of turning etc. but it's far too twitchy for most people. It's more of a difference between a MS 1000 and some guy with a boomslang for example

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Sisko wrote: »

The more limitations taken away from a player the more that players personal skill comes into account. Reaction speed and reflexes for example. Playing on a pad really limits how much reflexes and reaction speed come into play, you can't make that turn speed any faster or more accurate no matter how fast and precise you press the thumbstick..................

What do you mean ? Ofc you can turn faster, you just have to play with the sensitivitys settings, you can turn as slow or as fast as you want and ofc you can be more precise, i dont know where your getting that from tbh. Pulling off a 180 flick shot in cs would be possible with a gamepad... it would be far far harder to do but it would be possible. You could agrue that to be as accurate as the best PC players on a gamepad would take far more skill because it is a much more difficult control system for a shooter... if someone was to ever to become so skilled on a gamepad that they could compete with the professional PC gamers then you'd have to admit he was a more skilled gamer (Its obviously never going to happen ofc).

I think everyone agrees that K/M is a far superior control system but what i think gets under some peoples skin is that alot of PC gamers have this mindset that because they play their shooters on a PC that they are automatically better gamers.

I would agree that there is probably a higher percentage of noobs on console compared to the PC but imo that is more to do with the type of gamers you find on each platform. PC gamers are in general more hardcore compared to the casual nature of console gaming, the reason the skill cap is so high in games like cs/quake is because the top players have been playing the game for so long, most have up to 10 years experience playing their game or a very similar type of game, whereas console shooters have only really started to become popular within the last 5 years. The thing is most of the posters on here and in the cod forum are not the typical console player and probably play as much as any of the PC gamers on here.

I would use a CoD youtube commentator as a good example that a decent player will be decent no matter what platform he plays on. Hes only recently got into PC gaming having never played it before, yet after only 15-20 levels into CoD hes already able to top the leaderboards. His aim and movement is still quite poor but that comes with some practice.

I also have a good laugh when i read comments or posts like "LOL, Console gamers are noobs" because most of the time they're the public noobs that the good pc gamers make fun of.

Advertisement