Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First bike?

• 27-03-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hello there!

I want to buy a vehicle and a car just seems way too expensive right now so I am leaning more towards a motorbike. I am 22 years old and havent sat the learner permit test yet. I am just wondering what would be a good bike to start off on? I don't mind how fast it goes as long as it isn't crawling down the road.

Also what would insurance be like for a first timer at 22 years old?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I'm not sure if you've had any actual on the bike motorcycle experience just yet but I would recommend that you might like to take a basic introductory training lesson with a competent and experienced and well recognized instructor so that you get a feel for motorbikes and what's involved with that.

If you like it then I think that there is a certain power restriction that you have to be stuck with until you move through the different stages of progressing with licensing.

I'd recommend going for a decent standard motorbike that meets the entry level maximum power requirment but that the dealer could later modify to bring up the power to the next level if that's possible. Sorry but I can't identify any particular models for you.

NOTE: I've not been involved in motorbike licencing for years since I got my licence way way back in the day and all I know is that it's become a whole lot more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, if money is your main concern you'll probably find it cheaper to get a car.

With bikes you have to pay for your theory test, IBT, tax, insurance, bike and gear. That could all come in at a lot more than you were planning to spend depending on what type of bike you want and what type of gear you want to buy. Average IBT price I've heard of is around 500 quid (although you may find it cheaper). I'm a 23 year old female, first bike, insurance 438 a year with Quinn (only place that would quote me and this is my first bike and never had a car). Tax 70 odd a year. Depending on the type of bike you want you could get an older one for anything from 800 - 2500. Gear will probably be the most expensive (it was for me anyway). Helmet 500 quid, jacket 330, pants 150, boots 160, gloves 130.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Brian125

Hi :)

Just looking for some advice on my first bike... I am only sixteen and i really want a bike but i need a cheap one... i also want a bit of speed !
    I looked at the Honda NSR 125 and i really liked them ! and i could buy one cheap, like €1100 :)

However Quinn wont insure me ! :( Is there perhaps anywhere else i could look for insureance (Not AON thought because the gave a quote foe €10,800 !!!)

On the other hand if anybody knows any other bikes that might suit me please let me know ! just please keep price in mind !!

Thanks !
    Brian :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

At 16 insurance will be hard, if not impossible, to come by. You might get insured on a moped, doubt you'd get insured on anything more potent though.

So far as I know, only Quinn will cover first timers, but don't quote me on that. The others are Aon, Adelaide, Carole Nash off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

carsQhere wrote: »
    http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

At 16 insurance will be hard, if not impossible, to come by. You might get insured on a moped, doubt you'd get insured on anything more potent though.

So far as I know, only Quinn will cover first timers, but don't quote me on that. The others are Aon, Adelaide, Carole Nash off the top of my head.

Carol Nash is over 25's I think

@Brian: I wouldnt be looking at any NSR at your age as insurance will be ridiculously expensive. Your options to get on 2 wheels at your age is really limited, and as much as you don't want to hear it; a scooter is probably your best bet, money-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Try Quinn for cover on a non sports type 125. Honda's cg, clr and xr 125s are all good bikes.
    Yamaha's TDR 125 might suit you either.

Failing that theres a lot to be said for getting mopeds at 16, I had one and loved the thing.

Edit: I see I've already given you this advice on a different thread. If you can find a Varadero within your budget snap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

OP, if money is your main concern you'll probably find it cheaper to get a car....first bike, insurance 438 a year with Quinn...Tax 70 odd a year. Depending on the type of bike you want you could get an older one for anything from 800 - 2500. Gear will probably be the most expensive...Helmet 500 quid, jacket 330, pants 150, boots 160, gloves 130...

+1

Plus small vehicle doesn't mean small running costs. Regualr tyres, chains/ sprockets, brake pads, basic servicing etc etc etc. I will eat my hat if it isn't cheaper to buy a car all things told.

I'm big into cars and bikes. If you are intrigued by biking, it's great- get stuck in but small vehicle doesn't equal small expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Brian125 wrote: »
    Hi :)

Just looking for some advice on my first bike... I am only sixteen and i really want a bike but i need a cheap one... i also want a bit of speed !
    Brian :)

Learn it slow to do it well.
    Do it well to drive it fast.

Falling off at 40km/h doesn't hurt half as much as at 100km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Failing that theres a lot to be said for getting mopeds at 16, I had one and loved the thing..

I am 42 and have a 50cc Piaggio.. easily goes off the clock after some careful work! Will still pull 70kph up hill and I am not a small guy.

Before this Zip50 I had a Triumph Speed Triple for 11 years!... the scooter is more fun. If you've ever driven a Mini Cooper (Austin//Morris) you will understand why.

For a first bike you want a more upright postion too... go for a 4 stroke traily like a TW125 or VanVan... no plastic to break when you drop it... and you will!

Or... go straight the best bike ever... C90.. nothing touches them in terms of laughs and durability... plus they have cult status now!

Advertisement