Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question Re Internet Configuration on my Laptop

• 27-03-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Okay lads I'm not much for techie knowledge so bear with me here. Basically my internet is running pathetically slow but it appears to be my laptop that is the problem. Initially I thought it was the connection but the company sent a technician out to my gaff and he plugged his laptop into my modem and when he ran the two laptops side by side his was flying it which suggests that I do in fact have the very good internet connection I was told I had.

So now I'm here and I'm wondering is there anyway I can reconfigure the laptop to run the internet at better speeds. I've got a HP pavillion laptop that's about 18 months old. It's running the intel centrino processor with Windows Vista and it has like 3 or 4 GB or Ram. It's not particularly overworked either as I only use it for internet use, skype, itunes, and to watch films on. I don't download on it and that's about it really. Aside from the internet running slow the laptop is performing fine.

Also I've run full virus scans with Kaspersky and it's coming up clear so what could the problem be? Up to now I've been able to get by but in the last week or so it's gotten even worse and now I can't even skype which is my main reason for coming here as I'm living in South Korea and really need to be able maintain contact with home. All this is complicated by the fact that there's a massive language barrier here so I wouldn't even know where to begin as far trying to get someone out here to take a look at it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

1. Is the laptop very powerful?
    2. Are you saying you use Kaspersky as your standard protection tool then?

I ask because Kaspersky itself with its sometimes heavy draining on system resources, might be the source of your problem actually!

Have you tried completely disabling Kaspersky from background running/scanning/kicking in from start-up, then to reboot and see if your speed further improves (via www.speedtest.net for example)?
    If you need to test others sites for speed, go to one you can absolute trust that will be clean - like http://www.nytimes.com/ or http://www.independent.ie/

You laptop just might not be powerful enough to be running Kaspersky anyway.
    Kaspersky is a heavy tool and like some versions of Norton Anti-virus, has many components in it that slow down everything pc/laptop resource related.

...Its just one possibility!

(Between you and I, the fact that Vista is on it, don't help either.)

Try running also a live Ubuntu CD in your drive and see how it handles internet speeds.
    If your speeds improve using such a CD, you will know your internal components of your laptop are indeed fine and that the problems lies directly with the pre-installed Vista operation system and additional software on it.

* You will get a Live Ubuntu cd through the links here on right hand side: http://unitedpeople.ie/free.html
    Download - burn to cd, reboot from said cd and follow easy laid out steps.

Advertisement