Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing wooden floor adhesive from concrete floor

• 27-03-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

All,

A few years ago I had solid wooden flooring put down throughout the house, glued directly onto the concrete floor (well onto the levelling compound which had to be put down). Last year some of this had to be taken up to do a repair on a pipe buried under the concrete. I had to remove a larger patch of flooring due to seeping water damage and now am ready to get the flooring replaced. However in taking up the boards what I have left behind is the solid rubber (?) based adhesive used to glue the boards to the concrete. I need to get rid of all of this to provide a level surface for the new boards and am having real problems getting the glue off. I have tried a small scraper which barely touched it, a heavy duty floor/tile scraper with freshly sharpened blade and again very little success. EDIT: I should also add that the area is under the staircase so hard to get the long handled heavy scraper into position to scrape

So, anyone got any other ideas for removing the glue - any type of solvent that may soften the glue to make it easier to scrape (unfortunately don't know make/composition of the glue used) or anything else ?

Many thanks,
    DC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

small 'kango' hammer with say a 3" or 4" wide curved chisel and take off the leveling compound and re do it

see chisel here:
    http://www.hilti.ie/holie/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-100890

get a mate with decent vacuum cleaner to hold in front to collect most of dust

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Thats probably going to be the best way, some of the boards took up great lumps of levelling compound anyway when they came up so I was going to have to level it again. I may have a chisel attachment like that around at home which would fit into the SDS drill.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

If its an evo stick kind of glue then white spirit will break it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thats probably going to be the best way, some of the boards took up great lumps of levelling compound anyway when they came up so I was going to have to level it again. I may have a chisel attachment like that around at home which would fit into the SDS drill.

Many thanks.
    glad to help, variable speed on drill is ideal, with ear muffs and goggles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heat Gun and scraper??

This worked a treat for me when removing multiple patches and large blobs of "no more nails" from the backs of several lengths of skirting board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Had the same issue, and had to level the floor anyway, so I just put down leveling compound over the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Carlow52 wrote: »
    glad to help, variable speed on drill is ideal, with ear muffs and goggles

Carlow,

Got round to this today, was like a hot knife through butter bringing the levelling compound and adhesive off. Forgot your advice about the mate with a vacuum though - regretting that a bit now :)

Cheers
    DC

Advertisement