Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironside from the beginning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Testing maxes today. Only got a few hours sleep last night for various reasons so maybe a few kilos below true maxes.

Bench 115kg

Deadlift 240kg

Happy enough given I'm 6 weeks in to full uninterrupted training. Lat weakness on the bench identified as well as as lockout weakness in the deadlift. Next target 6 weeks down the line is 125kg on the bench and 250kg on the deadlift. Still quite relatively week to where I was so happy with progress.

Tested my squat max today 170kg after a couple of tag matches last night some nice doms so slow out of the hole but it was ok. Was aiming for 180 some not a million miles off. threw up a 117.5kg on the bench as well in between sets of 245kg box pulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beefmcguire

Dave. Im considering joining the Ironside Quad Squad when i exit my bodybuilding +diet phase.

Ryan.

Ironside.

Highlight today big pb on the squat 205kg.

Also banged out a double on the bench of 120kg. Expecting at least 125kg hoping for closer to 130kg in two weeks.

Will be testing deadlift pb in two weeks expecting 250kg based on current lifting.

Once I reach 600kg total at 82.5kg bodyweight will look to compete.

Also congrats to Barry getting a raw lift of 185kg on the bench today After 12 weeks back training 200kg is getting closer every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Strong work Dave!

• Advertisement

Got a westside reverse hyper, elitefts glute ham and 45 back extension as well as 180kg of zhangkong bumper plates and competition bar a good day in the gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

daveyc21 wrote: »
    G 180kg of zhangkong bumper plates and competition bar

Are you sure you don't require a slave :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

How do you feel about Ball-gags?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    How do you feel about Ball-gags?

I'm open to a certain amount of domination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm open to a certain amount of domination.

Spending too much time with Cleetus methinks.

• Advertisement

Update: Deadlift was niggling at me so halfway through max effort session decided to give my 1 rep max a go. Got a nice 250kg pull. This was the target for two weeks time so happy enough with this.

Become the resident gym rat sleeping there at night cleaning during the day that sort of thing?

daveyc21 wrote: »
    Become the resident gym rat sleeping there at night cleaning during the day that sort of thing?

Eating cheese, telling d'oracle to man up. That kind of thing yeah.:pac:

Like a fat Tony Robbins.

But harder to understand.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Like a fat Tony Robbins.

But harder to understand.

I'm an eloquent bastard me.

Congrats to Barry getting a nice 190kg bench yesterday. 200kg came about halfway up and looks good for a few weeks away. I managed to get the 120kg Atlas stone up without Tacky etc. Congrats also to Declan getting over the 150kg mark on the bench and looking for a 250kg deadlift soon. Good day in Ironside...

Nice work by Declan finally getting up the 140kg stone video to follow. Congrats must also go to Addam and Conor for bench pr's and Paul for a PR in the deadlift. Not sure but I think Eamon aka token may also have got a pr with a 100kg powerclean certainly a gym record for the the 70kg class so worth a mention

Preparations for the training protocol are complete. January 3rd is the kickoff date finishing at the end of March. 12 weeks of dedicated fury and intensity. The programme itself was as comprehensive as I could make it but still stretches out to 11 pages of in-depth diet and training research.

Everything is monitored and calculated we even have got a hold of a myotest in order to track changes in power output. We have access to the best of everything 24 hour training facility with all the equipment you could ever need top level coaching, high end nutrition and supplementation and the most important factors time and planning.

It gonna be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Sounds pretty epic!

Any estimates of what kind of gains you hope to achieve?

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Sounds pretty epic!

Any estimates of what kind of gains you hope to achieve?

Hey man,

I wouldn't really want to guess but I'm hoping to see a 300kg deadlift near the end and a 240kg squat and 140kg bench would be nice too!

• Advertisement

So far been concentrating on getting the diet done. Its essentially high protein, high fat with carbs coming from non grain sources i.e. fruits and vegetables. I am also supplementing with a range of 'superfoods' e.g. spirulina maca camu camu acai chia seeds and a few other bits and pieces to keep micronutrients and fibre levels ok. Been kind of fluey for the first few days this is to be expected as the body is craving that quick sugar hit. Weight is down a few kilos and purely by observation seems to mainly probably fat. Training is kicking off this evening. have the myotest at the ready to get an accurate picture of progress in terms of speed and power.

First day done rough idea of what happened was pin press, band resisted bench, appletinis and some log press with a bit of 'core' type work thrown in at the end. Pretty happy as a start considering the drastic change in diet. Weighing about 83kg at the minute and heading for sub 80 pretty soon.

Tested out the bench this morning to get a base for the training protocol using the myotest. Using 60kg as a base 406908_10150462815272823_568822822_8690978_848488393_n.jpg

Reasonable start so we will see how this compares to the end of March.

Day two went well Single leg box jumps from a soft surface are quickly becoming a favourite of mine for really getting everything firing. Speed deads at 140kg were nice and quick. Speed being my main attribute I would hope to really push these for this first 4 week cycle. Spotted a little bit of upper back weakness in the videos of my pin squats which means there is a bit of a power leakage there.

Looking foward to seeing how my power clean progresses with Wayne today and how the first dynamic upper goes.

Day three seems to be when the intensity of the sessions has begun to tell. Dynamic upper work with a lot of emphasis on top end explosiveness. This sort of stuff:

Looking forward to the first test in 3 and a half weeks to see how everything is coming along

Day 4 is max effort lower always enjoyable especially with a good group of lads in the gym. Intensity was showing and volume had to be cut back due to fatigue but there were some good highlights like this sort of stuff.

TO BATTLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Any reason you aren't typing out all the exercises/sets/reps? Can't tell much about what you are doing currently. Is it super secret soviet tactical sh*t?

Well for the first time I have come up with an entire programme made from the ground up certainly referencing a lot of sports science publications but containing quite a bit of original thought. I have given a few people bits and pieces of it but because the whole thing is interdependent. I'm going to wait until I see how the 12 weeks pan out before throwing out exact details. I'm gonna continue to post some of the highlights as I go along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Did you manage to resolve the exams v qualifiers conflict and compete last year? Is the new programme aiming at the U90 ISM again?

Advertisement