Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironside from the beginning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Did you manage to resolve the exams v qualifiers conflict and compete last year? Is the new programme aiming at the U90 ISM again?

No man finals were starting literally two days after. This is aimed at powerlifting mainly buy I may look to enter the qualifiers to give it a go.

Day 5 and the final day of the week was repetition type work. Getting a good rebound from earlier in the week and the programme is showing promise even at this early stage. I died off markedly through the session and hamstrings went numb during some deadlift type movements and I decided to call it a day after that.

Weekend was rough pretty heavy doms so it was basically rest eat work sleep for the two days. Looking to up the intensity later on this evening from last week and see if my theories on progression are anywhere near the mark.

Day 7

Delighted to say everything is going exactly to plan. My predictions at least on upper body strength improvements have proved to be pretty accurate. Judging proper intensity and understanding how to combine movements to your own strengths and weaknesses is proving to be very important. I am finally realising the importance of getting the most out of your diet in relation to recovery/training.

Max effort upper. Went well as outlined above. Single limb stuff is quite good. I will video a few of the movements next week. It was tight for time last night.

Day 8:

Another good day showing carryover from last week. Examples of the type of stuff I was doing below. I actually think the rfd element is the most important in terms of pulling a big deadlift and this is where I will be focusing efforts.

Single leg 32" box jumps off soft surface (gymnastics mat)

A lot of people have been asking me the point of the soft surface. Its nothing to do with stability or anything like that. My theory is that when jumping on a hard surface the support tissues tend to store most of the elastic energy but when it is a soft surface this is not possible and therefore muscle recruitment is higher. The muscle soreness after these seems to be anecdotal evidence to support this.

Speed deadlifts 140kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I'm gonna tell Wayne you were doing deadlifts on the WL platforms :pac:

The single leg box jumps look pretty cool gonna have to give that a go. What's your max on regular box jump for comparison?

token wrote: »
    I'm gonna tell Wayne you were doing deadlifts on the WL platforms :pac:

The single leg box jumps look pretty cool gonna have to give that a go. What's your max on regular box jump for comparison?

I'm telling Wayne you have only been squatting to parallel then.

My two leg is between 45" and 50" roughly must test it soon

Day 9:

Dynamic upper type work. Great progression on the plyo push ups and my over the head work is getting a lot better than it was. Speed work is pretty boring so I'm not going to go too much into the detail/put up videos etc.. Doing a lot of weightlifting work with Wayne in ECB so hopeing he will let me clean off the ground soon! Tomorrow is max effort lower and with last week being a write off with the level of intensity being too high its going to be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

daveyc21 wrote: »
    Da

Single leg 32" box jumps off soft surface (gymnastics mat)

tat looks like a nice squat rack to catch your face if you fall!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dave doesn't fall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Dave doesn't fall.

Really....

Day 10:

Max effort lower:

Similar to last week hit of lot of heavy stuff on this day got a few nice pb's just missing 330kg on the reverse band deadlift (see below) my thoughts on this are if I can hit 350kg on the reverse bands 300kg off the ground should be reasonable.

Day 11:

Repetition type day. Threw in a fat bar to shake things up a bit. Some good PBs considering at the end of the week I am always pretty thrashed. Probably not as much volume as I would have liked but still improvement is improvement.

Day 12

A good start to week three today was a max effort upper session. Again this week some pbs obviously not as good as the second week as adaption quickens up. The training will cycle onto a new phase from next week and hopefully this will kick start progress again.

Day 13:

Dynamic Lower type session. Similar to last week with a couple of minor tweaks and weight changes. Finished with Mike and d'oracle teaching me how to jump properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

While we are on the subject, that's kind of what I meant by whole horizontal movement to vertical movement. Demonstrated by a guy who actually has a hop.
    He isn't stomping with that jumpstep, he is loading up the legs like a spring.

d'Oracle wrote: »

While we are on the subject, that's kind of what I meant by whole horizontal movement to vertical movement. Demonstrated by a guy who actually has a hop.
    He isn't stomping with that jumpstep, he is loading up the legs like a spring.

I understand the concept alright I blame my lack of coordination or maybe epic beard for my failure!

Day 14:

I think this sums everything up: Perhaps the most motivational song every made....

NOT WORK SAFE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

I cant find it on itunes ...

Day 15:

Max effort lower was a bit of a write off yesterday. For various reasons I ended up doing 3 sessions that were heavy on the hamstrings on Wednesday so on the thursday hamstrings, glutes and lower back were tender to the touch. I soldiered on though and managed to pull a pr out of the bag on suspended good mornings. Tomorrow is the last day of phase 1 and looking forward to testing maxes next week and moving on to an entire new programme.

• Advertisement

Day 16:

Some repetition work today. Congrats to Brian on getting his first 100kg bench. After a couple of years chasing it three weeks into this training cycle he has hit it which although it is a small sample is a good indicator at least for me that we are heading in the right direction. First test of maxes next week will hopefully go the same.

Day 17:

Wasn't supposed to do much but was tempted into giving the Ironside trap bar deadlift a go. (300kg)

Bar was cold and had a bit of condensation on in so grip slipped a bit at lockout but strength was good.

Day 18:

Three weeks in and the first week of testing. Deadlift was a bit of a strange one. Hit the target of of 260kg, rushed it a bit felt I had another 10kg in me but left it there. Technique was a bit wobbly I let the bar pull me slightly forward on the way up so almost had to reset on the way up. It felt pretty light though and never felt like stopping so cant complain.

Day 19:

Did some dynamic upper style work today combined with some of the strength 'core' schedule work I have been working on which the lads seem to be enjoying!

Day 20:

The program changed moved into it's second phase this week. I have changed up certain aspects of the exercises and intensites etc. For example the speed deadlifts have dropped from triples to doubles but the percentage of my max has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

I can't remember what you said but the main goal of the cycle is your pull?

What sort of squats/variants are you doing?

Have you already noticed benefits to your upper strength from the dynamic/plyo work?

Da Za wrote: »
    I can't remember what you said but the main goal of the cycle is your pull?

What sort of squats/variants are you doing?

Have you already noticed benefits to your upper strength from the dynamic/plyo work?

I am actually training all three lifts equally. I just thought a 300kg pull would be nice. Its definitely getting closer. I am hoping to hit somewhere near 280kg on my next test day then I have 6 weeks to pull 20kg out of my ass before the IPOs. I'm hoping the buzz of competition will give me that extra 5-10kg.

In terms of squat variants I have been doing mostly single leg work up to this stage. I have started on band resisted box squats. I'm a big fan of them for building power out of the bottom and just for generally improving tightness in the squat as the bands are constantly pulling on you. I hit 180kg plus strong bands for 3 to the low box the other day. That was my first real squat type movement in a while so pretty happy.

The upper work is going well. I am of the opinion that bench work requires more volume work to show improvement as the the muscle groups of the leg and back are constantly being used in general day to day tasks so I have being trying to apply this to training. I should have results pretty soon so I will let you know.

How is the shirt going?

Been very busy lately. I think up to day 26. The second phase is in full flow now had a few unavoidable interruptions for a couple of days there but nothing major. Looking good to hit a decent max soon in all three lifts 6 weeks out from the IPO's

Lost track of the day number due to this pain in the arse virus. Decided to do a few strength checks. Pulled 270kg deadlift, benched 135kg and decided to be a girl and fail on a 220kg 12" box squat which usually consistently matches my free squat (see below). Happy enough considering it was after a day of sitting around not really eating at the irish master and juniors in Ironside.

• Advertisement

Tested a mini max on the deadlift today followed by some dynamic work. Dynamic work is coming along well I have now dropped to singles and slightly increased the weight.

Advertisement