Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

engine rattle on Bmw 645ci maybe Hydraulic Lifters

Options
  • 27-03-2011 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have a rattle in my engine (Bmw 645ci) when i start it up from cold it is vastly reduced almost completly gone most of the time when the engine warms up and a good Bmw indy near me reckons it is the hydraulic lifters at fault and that he has seen it a few times

anyone come across this before on any car does it sound plausable ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How old is the car and what milage?

Did he check the oil pressure?

Does it sound like just a could of bad lifters or are all them noisy?

It's not unknown for the lifters to make noise on start up. Some times just one or two have gone bad and can be replaced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whoknows21

no it was just conversation it wasnt in with him he just had a quick listen to it it has been in with him in the past though
    its a 2004 with 93000 miles

is it a big job to change them ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I assume its like other bmws, It's not a massive job, but does take a little time.

They need to turn the engine to the correct spot, use a tool to compress the valve spring, remove the rocker arm, change out lifter, replace rocker arm, allow valve spring to release. This has to be done for each lifter that is faulty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whoknows21

thanks DublinDilbert :)

Advertisement