Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Lice

• 27-03-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

I bought a shih-tzu puppy 3wks ago he began scratching when I brought him home,over the next few days my other dogs started scratching too.Went to vets who said he had lice and treated him with stronghold and my other dogs were treated also.However still scratching,a course of antihistimime and an injection from vets and another dose of stronghold was prescribed.Still the scratching continues have brushed out all dogs everyday sometimes twice to remove dead or dying lice washed their beds and anything they were in contact with.What else can I do?
    Any advice appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I'd recommend the Frontline spray (not spot on). You can spray the pup and your other dogs all over and I think it's better to kill the lice right away. You'll also get a good few doses in the bottle (it comes in 100ml or 250ml sizes) so it's pretty good value too. If your vet doesn't have it in stock, they can order it for you, or you can probably find it at another vets (it's technically a prescription medicine, so you can't buy it in pet shops, etc).
    I'd recommend spraying them and then, wearing plastic gloves, sort of rub it into the hair- you can make sure it gets everywhere and you don't have to worry about getting the spray into the eyes as well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Wisco wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Frontline spray (not spot on). You can spray the pup and your other dogs all over and I think it's better to kill the lice right away. You'll also get a good few doses in the bottle (it comes in 100ml or 250ml sizes) so it's pretty good value too. If your vet doesn't have it in stock, they can order it for you, or you can probably find it at another vets (it's technically a prescription medicine, so you can't buy it in pet shops, etc).
    I'd recommend spraying them and then, wearing plastic gloves, sort of rub it into the hair- you can make sure it gets everywhere and you don't have to worry about getting the spray into the eyes as well.

+1 on all of this, but I'd recommend getting yourself a very fine-toothed flea comb and comb them both to get any eggs that might be left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

update :) been twice to vets since this post,unlicenced treatment was used and a steroid but made no difference.Been to vet again today and got dogs treated with Frontline and still all scratching:( Combed out with fine comb all week and still finding live lice,so I supplied a sealed bag to vet with live lice in it as she going to send away to lab as she has never come across a resistance like it with all the treatments used.Threw out all bedding and hot washed everything thank god I have tiled floors been very busy washing floors etc.This little puppy has known nothing but scratching in his short life and its awful seeing him like this.Breeder doesnt want to know and in fact increased prices on puppies on Donedeal changed his name and has omitted his email replies.I.k.c. dont want to know either:mad:only for my vet who has stopped charging me btw I dont know what I would do an excellent vet who rings me for updates and is very concerned by it all.I seen this puppy in a home enviroment with others and had no reason to suspect anything was wrong. Shame on you Mr Breeder :mad:
    Here he is Bowzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

ahhhhhhh is is beautiful. What has the breeder said, surely if he was a good breeder he would want to know so he can treat his other puppies. i would report the add to done deal, maybe they might remove the add. what area is the breeder from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Yikes, sorry to hear it hasn't cleared up yet. Did the vet use frontline spray or spot on? It's definitely the spray that's effective, in my experience, and you really have get a pretty heavy spray of it and make sure it's rubbed all over the body.
    Might be worth getting your vet to contact the sales rep for frontline as well and seeing how often it can safely be used (a lot of that stuff can be used more often than it's licensed for in severe cases and the sales person/company will usually know)
    As for the breeders, most of the guys on donedeal are not what I would call reliable, and your unfortunate experience seems to prove that point.
    Hope you get some improvement soon- nothing worse than seeing your poor dog scratch for hours on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Wisco wrote: »
    Yikes, sorry to hear it hasn't cleared up yet. Did the vet use frontline spray or spot on? It's definitely the spray that's effective, in my experience, and you really have get a pretty heavy spray of it and make sure it's rubbed all over the body.
    Might be worth getting your vet to contact the sales rep for frontline as well and seeing how often it can safely be used (a lot of that stuff can be used more often than it's licensed for in severe cases and the sales person/company will usually know)
    As for the breeders, most of the guys on donedeal are not what I would call reliable, and your unfortunate experience seems to prove that point.
    Hope you get some improvement soon- nothing worse than seeing your poor dog scratch for hours on end.

Hi
    thanks for reply
    yes it was the spray and 2 vets covered my dogs from top to tail nowhere was left unsprayed..Dealer is from Arklow.Back to vets again tomorrow.Dont know what she can use now as she seems to have used what she could to eradicate these pests but hopefully very soon we will have a lice free puppy who can enjoy been a puppy once and for all.

Advertisement