Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate Flooring

• 27-03-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭

Just looking for some opinions on the following.

The Boss wants laminate flooring upstairs, however she wants all 3 bedrooms and the landing done as one large single floor and not divided into 4 different areas. While I can see the aesthetic value in this, I'm just worried about issues later on (having to replace one or two boards etc).

Any recommendations for or against.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

tell the boss that it is impractical to consider this idea from the perspective of expansion and movement, as well as neat fitting around door frames etc.

Are u taking off the skirting boards or will the boss do it:D

u can get nice timber T shaped saddles to cover joints under doors so they will not be seen when doors are closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Two words - Yes Dear!

Life will be much easier then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Choclolate

I did it in my 3 bed semi - tough going - but not that difficult.

Pick the best room and make sure there are no really thin pieces at the edges and start there.

Also make sure that the boards you buy can be built or at least manipulated from either side as there will be times that you will be working out both ways from a central location.

Try a few in shop and make sure they click easy - but end result looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'd imagine the biggest problem will be the top step of the stairs and how you bring the laminate up to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2 words for you.

More noise.

Done all as a 1 piece floor?

What about the various door saddle boards then??

• Advertisement

Two words - Yes Dear!

Life will be much easier then

You could allways say..... "You,re not the boss,I am"...... and see what happens. lol.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could allways say..... "You,re not the boss,I am"...... and see what happens. lol.:pac:

Yeah, you try it first and let me know how it goes. ;)

Yeah, you try it first and let me know how it goes. ;)

I did,and it led to a "stand off"... lol.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

make sure to use the accoustic underlay - it's dearer than the standard stuff but I used it under laminate flooring upstairs and the results in terms of noise seem pretty good.

(I also have insulation between floor and ceiling so this probably helps too.)

As for doing the whole floor in one piece - can see any prob with that - good quality laminate ain't going to expand or contract that much (certainly far far less than something like a solid wood option) and personally I hate the look of saddle boards and the like - so I'd go for it.

I definitely would check noise levels before doing the whole job though - maybe lay a couple of square metres and hop around on them with someone listening downstairs before doing the whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Thanks guys, couple of ideas alright.

Not too sure about your idea paddy
    paddy147 wrote: »
    so I'll go with Fingers on that one
    Two words - Yes Dear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would never do this. Its going to be a disaster. However if you "yes dear" at least you might get your way next time.

Look on the brightside. When the landing starting going up and down(this is where it happens because its the lightest section) your kids will have mini ramps for there cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

lay the rooms individualy and use saddle boards or T tresholds under doors. if u take it all in one go u will have trouble with expansion and it will b one hell of a job to get it all rite and if the house is out of square it will look ****e come the last line. there is a aluminium section that u could use at the top tread of the stairs the flooring fits into. remove all skirting and cut under doorframes and arcitrave make sure to leave 10mm gap minimum and never mind your boss
    ps. also run the grain with towards the windows or the longest lenght of the room

Advertisement