Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner's Greenhouse

Options
  • 27-03-2011 4:26pm

Hi all,

new to this forum. I've decided to get a little greenhouse and was thinking of this one http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=12260&loc=P&catid=102.17 I'm not a gardener at all as of yet. My partner tends to look after the garden and over the years has made some nice flower boarders and planted some bushes, grasses etc. I'd like now for a little bit of the garden to be mine. I don't have a lot of free time, hence the small greenhouse, and my expertise are fairly limited but I'm more than willing to learn.

So what to put in the greenhouse?? Initially I'm thinking tomatoes, but after this I haven't a clue. I'd like to grow a couple of vegetables but am not sure what is involved. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    Hi all,

new to this forum. I've decided to get a little greenhouse and was thinking of this one http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=12260&loc=P&catid=102.17 I'm not a gardener at all as of yet. My partner tends to look after the garden and over the years has made some nice flower boarders and planted some bushes, grasses etc. I'd like now for a little bit of the garden to be mine. I don't have a lot of free time, hence the small greenhouse, and my expertise are fairly limited but I'm more than willing to learn.

So what to put in the greenhouse?? Initially I'm thinking tomatoes, but after this I haven't a clue. I'd like to grow a couple of vegetables but am not sure what is involved. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Well I had a look at that green house and its more of a cloche(frost protection) than a greenhouse. You might be able to fit some tomatoes. It seems to have shelves? Perhaps plant tubs with cherry toms bush varieties and place on the shelves, if the tub is large enough you might get a basil plant to fit at the base of the toms. You could plant strawberries in tubs too and let the plants drap down. The vid attached gives an idea of how fruit hangs down. But I have serious doubts that the greenhouse in the link you provided would survive any windy day. You could grow some veg in large tubs outside, Lettuces, courgettes, spinach etc

Thanks Corsendonk. Some good ideas there. I was thinking about the windy days myself. It's actually going to be in a part of the garden that gets lots of sun but barely any wind due to a shed and two walls blocking it. I'm going to experiment with it anyway. I know it won't last very long, but it's cheap, and if I really get into this gardening stuff I may invest in a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Hey Starla_o0

I have one of these myself.
    As it your first time gardening you might want some plants with quick yeilds. I use my green house mostly for getting my seedlings growing. I have mostly radis growing. But later on I will move my runner beans, broad beans and tomatoes into the green house. If you train your beans to grow up the side walls and back walls it leaves the space in the minddle for the tomatoes or what ever plant you decide. I find tomatoes best and they grow tall and don't compete with the beans growing around the sides. Remember to leave your greenhouse open in the day when the plants are flowering to allow bees and othe pollinators in. You could end up with healthy plants and no fruit/veg.

I tend not to put strawberries in as they do well outside anyways. They are small greenhoses so use the space wisely.

If you feel the wind will cause a problem. take the palstic cover off. Put it back on when the wind dies down.

All the best with your growing.

PS the beans I grew last year, they never seemed to stop giving.

Thanks for that Nabber. Giving me a bit more confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I am looking at buying a greenhouse for the first time and I am a beginner also. I am looking at this greenhouse.

http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/004greenhousepolycarb2GP

Would this be ok to start off with?

I am hoping to grow tomato's cucumber and a bit of veg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

ruffmut wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking this thread but I am looking at buying a greenhouse for the first time and I am a beginner also. I am looking at this greenhouse.

That one looks good for Toms and cews, A little tight on height but should be grand. If you can run a support wire from one end of the greenhouse to the other eachside that should give your Toms and Cews good support. Just tie a string at the base of the toms and cews and then tie the other end to your support wire. Then twist the plants once a week around the string as they grow and remove the size shoots and you should get a good crop. As another poster said you can also use the greemhouse to start off plants before planting outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Nabber wrote: »
    Hey Starla_o0

I have one of these myself.
    As it your first time gardening you might want some plants with quick yeilds. I use my green house mostly for getting my seedlings growing. I have mostly radis growing. But later on I will move my runner beans, broad beans and tomatoes into the green house. If you train your beans to grow up the side walls and back walls it leaves the space in the minddle for the tomatoes or what ever plant you decide. I find tomatoes best and they grow tall and don't compete with the beans growing around the sides. Remember to leave your greenhouse open in the day when the plants are flowering to allow bees and othe pollinators in. You could end up with healthy plants and no fruit/veg.

I tend not to put strawberries in as they do well outside anyways. They are small greenhoses so use the space wisely.

If you feel the wind will cause a problem. take the palstic cover off. Put it back on when the wind dies down.

All the best with your growing.

PS the beans I grew last year, they never seemed to stop giving.

Why would you grow beans inside a greenhouse, arent they better suited to outside?

I would stick to Tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers inside the greenshouse, and but use it start off peas, cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc for planting later outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    Thanks Corsendonk. Some good ideas there. I was thinking about the windy days myself. It's actually going to be in a part of the garden that gets lots of sun but barely any wind due to a shed and two walls blocking it. I'm going to experiment with it anyway. I know it won't last very long, but it's cheap, and if I really get into this gardening stuff I may invest in a better one.
    Last nights wind took care of mine, even thought it was in the corner between a wall and my shed and had concrete blocks weighing down the base! It will probably do better if I secure the top of it to the wall, so I'm gonna try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Stay on top of the weather reports. I took my cover off last night as gales were forecast. Rare enough that we get weather windy enough to damage them. I also tied a few key support poles together to brace the frame and that helps a hell of a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Hi i have ordered one from www.stayhome2shop.com might be worth looking at. I havent had mine delivered yet but fingers crossed all will be ok. Look out for deals they have i ordered mine on St Patricks day and got 25%off it was running along side there Facebook page

• Advertisement

wexford12 wrote: »
    Hi i have ordered one from www.stayhome2shop.com might be worth looking at. I havent had mine delivered yet but fingers crossed all will be ok. Look out for deals they have i ordered mine on St Patricks day and got 25%off it was running along side there Facebook page

Did you get this greenhouse delivered ok yet by any chance. If so what is it like. Is it sturdy and good quality

Did you get this greenhouse delivered ok yet by any chance. If so what is it like. Is it sturdy and good quality

Not yet but they have told me it should be this Thurs/Fri fingers crossed its as good as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

I also use a small "greenhouse" (here). Simple solution to keeping it safe from the wind was these guys:

BA22%20Pipe%20Clip.jpg

Pipe clips fit the poles perfect and you can get them with masonry nails. Safe as greenhouses!

Hi Guys Greenhouse arrived and is great but not for the basic DIY'er It took myself and a builder nearly 3 days to errect.But now its up and the stress and gone its great and cant wait to start planting up Greenhouse.jpg

Thanks Wexford12 for the update. It looks great. I think I will be getting one of them for myself. Once up is it a soild greenhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

wexford12 wrote: »
    Hi Guys Greenhouse arrived and is great but not for the basic DIY'er It took myself and a builder nearly 3 days to errect.But now its up and the stress and gone its great and cant wait to start planting up Greenhouse.jpg

jeeeeeez, bet it took you a long time to dig the foundation with that spade and wheelbarrow combination! :D

Yes its solid we have a good bit of wind up here so i will be setting it down in concrete just to be sure !!!!The only concern i have is the windows at top they have about an inch of movement even when closed, so will be using a clip or cable tie till i figer it out. Oh the wheelbarrow it a good one i had a bit of child labour lol

All was going well till this morning i went out and a roof panel was missing!!!!!!! I got it back and have now sealed all other ones with a water proof sealant and bonder been a hell of a day but i hope this works

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Aldi are selling one tomorrow > thur €45

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

Corsendonk wrote: »
    That one looks good for Toms and cews, A little tight on height but should be grand. If you can run a support wire from one end of the greenhouse to the other eachside that should give your Toms and Cews good support. Just tie a string at the base of the toms and cews and then tie the other end to your support wire. Then twist the plants once a week around the string as they grow and remove the size shoots and you should get a good crop. As another poster said you can also use the greemhouse to start off plants before planting outside.
    http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/gardman-polycarbonate-greenhouses

Bought the larger one of these. My advice, avoid like the plague. Only had the frame up when we had strong winds (not galeforce) and twisted the frame to pieces. really unstable. compnay didnt want to know and even tried to charge us for removing their useless tat from the garden!!! my advice, DO NOT go near these houses. wouldnt last you one winter

• Advertisement

I have since sealed all the panels into place i agree while its been built its very unsteady but once up it seems ok time will tell. I'm going to seal around the outside of each panel when it dries up and put a wooden base at the bottom with a small bed with trellis along the side to grow peas etc, also a little more protection. will post pics when finished

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ding Dong wrote: »
    http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/gardman-polycarbonate-greenhouses

Bought the larger one of these. My advice, avoid like the plague. Only had the frame up when we had strong winds (not galeforce) and twisted the frame to pieces. really unstable. compnay didnt want to know and even tried to charge us for removing their useless tat from the garden!!! my advice, DO NOT go near these houses. wouldnt last you one winter

I about to buy one of those. I don't doubt you but are you sure it was erected properly? Its hard to believe they could be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I about to buy one of those. I don't doubt you but are you sure it was erected properly? Its hard to believe they could be that bad.

I bought a large one and like the poster you quoted as soon as we had wind it blew over with plants in it.

What I've done now is bought gardening wire and wired it all together and then put a couple of 75l bags of compost on the bottom shelves. It's fine now even on the windiest days.

--EDIT--
    Sorry thought you were talking about the greenhouse in the opening post.

Frame erected by a quality builder who we have used for many years for complete renovations / extensions etc and who started his trade erecting conservatories. 12 hrs up before it lay in a heap. alot of money for a heap on the ground. he even commented when putting it up that he was not 100% sure how well it would withstand any kind of normal high wind...even the base frame snapped. they will not entertain refunds once erected.

any joy on the new house u were gonna get?

I did not order it yet. I am still waiting for my concrete slab to be put down. One of the lads at work ordered one at the start of last week so I am going to see his one before I order it.

Just a quick update. A friend bought this one that I was looking at.

http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/0...usepolycarb2GP

He was not impressed with it at all. The frame is very light and when assembled was not sturdy. In fact the first qust of wind took it and damaged the frame.

I have ordered one of these now but from a different company.

http://steeltechsheds.com/index.php?page=greenhouses

Advertisement