Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?

Options
  • 27-03-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hey guys i bought and built a new pc last September, im just wondering what i should look at doing to it at the moment, i know i need to get a cpu cooler as i want to oc my cpu but i dont want to spend a fortune on it (under 40 quid if possible), my haf 922 case seems to be collecting a lot of dust as well is there anything i can buy to minimize that? anything else i should look at? this pc is mainly used for gaming btw

intel i7 930 - CPU
    Gigabyte X58a UD3R - mobo
    Gigabyte 1 gig OC GTX 460 - GPU
    6 gigs OCZ 1600MHz - RAM
    Antec 1000 Watt - PSU
    1T HDD
    23 inch LG flatron
    logitech x540 5.1 - speakers
    logitech g 15 - keyboard
    logitech g500 - mouse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

ok first off cases will always gather dust so theres nothing you can do to prevent that so you should always clean your comp atleast once a month with a can of compress air. (they go for around €10 these days less if you buy in bulk)

As for the cpu cooler i would highly recommend this for €40 including shipping:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-memory-air-series-a50-performance-cpu-cooler-73G2.html

Edit: Also what's with the 1000watt psu when your only running a single gtx460? O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

future proofing my friend (definitely not overkill ;) ) i was planning on putting a 6990 or the new 590 into it but the performance isnt as much of a jump as i wanted (especially for the price) so il probably end up putting another 460 into it or buy a nice single card like 6950 (and bios flash it into a 6970) until the next gen of gpu's comes out,

well defo should go with a another 460 if you don't want to make your 1kw psu a waste :P

would this do for cleaning?

yup that'll do brand never matters or whatever bs gimmick there trying to advertise on it because compress air is compress air there all the same so cheaper is better with that stuff ;)

• Advertisement

now all i have to do is find a cheap 460 and im sorted for the year (so long as BF3 doesnt kill my pc) thanks for all the help btw

just out of interest an i7 930 should last me for a good while right? it hasnt been made completely obsolete yet has it?

hell no the 930 is still a beast of a cpu even by today's standards, 1366 is still the powerhouse platform for multi gpu set-ups

great thats one side of things that will last a while anyway :D just overclock the hell out of it and get myself another 460

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

A fairly obvious upgrade would be an SSD, get one that's big enough for your OS and a couple of your favourite games and you'll be laughing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that cpu will outlast your itchiness to upgrade in about 3-4 years :)

Advertisement