Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Swedish and Finnish

• 27-03-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

Just wondering is anyone doing these two subjects, in school, i do i am not swedish or finnish, i am irish and they are simple.

Anyone doing this subject????????????????????

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are not a curricular subject for exam and are offered to (and the exams expect the standard of) native speakers.

I would be interested in which Department official authorised payments by a school to a teacher of those languages to non-native speakers.

<mod note>
    Looking back on your posts, they have a trollish air about them.
    Last chance.
    </mod note>

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Swedish and Finnish are far from easy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

GVNDNN wrote: »
    Swedish and Finnish are far from easy.......

I find Swedish way easier than French to be honest. Ive been doing swedish for around 3 years now and my standard in Swedish is way better than my French.
    The Swedish exam paper is also pretty basic, Just a comprehension,an essay and an essay about the comprehension :)

Just wondering is anyone else doing swedish or a nordic language for the LC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Hi,

Just wondering is anyone doing these two subjects, in school, i do i am not swedish or finnish, i am irish and they are simple.

Anyone doing this subject????????????????????

If you are not a native speaker of Swedish or Finnish then you are not allowed to take these exams. This is from the SEC website:
    ...These are languages which do not appear as part of the normal school curriculum but which students may opt to be examined in if they meet certain criteria. Chief among these conditions are the requirements that candidates for these examinations:
    • Be from a member state of the European Union
    • Speak the language in which they opt to be examined in as a mother tongue,
    • Have followed a programme of study leading to the Leaving Certificate
    • Be taking Leaving Certificate English

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marteh

What carreersportal.ie said

What kind of student might Other Languages suit?

Students who can already speak the langauge and want easy points.
    Students with a particular interest in a country's culture, history, and language.
    Students who are considering working in a particular country or international relations in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement