Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got A board

Options
  • 27-03-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

What up guys I just started surfing, A cousin of mine that has moved abroad and given me his 2 surf boards, before this I never surfed before but Im beginning to enjoy it, but Im finding it difficult to get up on the board the 1 Im trying to learn with is a 7'3 mini Malibu (The other is a 6'6 Spider Im not going to even attempt this board until I get better) Im about 6ft and weigh a little over 11 stone, Ive had a go on those foam fun boards and I can get up pretty easy but Im finding it more difficult with the 7'3.

any advice would be great guys :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

What exactly are you finding difficult with?

Can you paddle ok and keep good balance? or do you feel to big on the board and falling off?

What happens when you try to pop up?

The board is probably too small for you and will take more time to get used to it and progress

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

CRenegade wrote: »
    What exactly are you finding difficult with?

Can you paddle ok and keep good balance? or do you feel to big on the board and falling off?

What happens when you try to pop up?

The board is probably too small for you and will take more time to get used to it and progress

story man sorry I didint reply sooner... ya I feel like Im to big on the board or something not weight wise but just like if I put my feet at the right end of the board it will nose dive in a wave and If I put my feet to far back I feel like I havent got control of the front, and Im finding it diffuclt to paddle and catch a wave, but I sopose I have only been trying to surf the white water and waves which are just about to break maybe I should move out into the sets where the wave is still in the swell.

Not sure but Like I said I had a go at those foam fun boards and can get up pretty easy but I suppose thats the purpose of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It'll be a lot trickier to get going on a 7'3" than it would on something a foot longer, but not impossible.

When paddling to catch a wave you'll have to find the small sweet spot where you are not so far back so as to miss the wave, and not so far forward so as to pearl (i.e. nosedive) the board. I find it helpful to err on the side of being a little bit too far back, and then if you need to move your centre of gravity forward at the last minute you can bend your knees, getting your legs in the air and forward.

When you get standing, don't position your feet too closely together - if you put them far apart you will be able to steer more easily, and you can shift your weight forward/back a lot better. You should tend to put more of your weight on the front foot than the back, not to the point where this will bury the nose of course.

When you are starting off you will find it easier to catch a wave in the white water than unbroken waves, you can still make small turns if you can stay just in front of the mush rather than being in/on it.

Advertisement