Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

POW Camps

• 27-03-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have just recently found out that my grandfather was a POW in Giessen in Germany during WW1. I knew that he served in the war and remember a medal that we had. How would I find out the circumstances that landed him in the camp. He was in the the Royal Irish Rifles and was awarded his medal in 1914.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

kaltz wrote: »
    I have just recently found out that my grandfather was a POW in Giessen in Germany during WW1. I knew that he served in the war and remember a medal that we had. How would I find out the circumstances that landed him in the camp. He was in the the Royal Irish Rifles and was awarded his medal in 1914.

if you post up your grandfathers name and army number , if you have it, it will be easier to start the search. there are a few on the forum who will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

His name was Richard Mannering. Number 7777 and his regiment was the Royal Irish Rifles. He was born around Sept 1887 and he enlisted in 1904. Any help of their movements in the war appreciated.

Medal card below
    medal card.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Kaltz,Richard landed in a place called Rouen in France in 1914.Here is a link to some diary information for the 2nd Royal Irish Rifles http://royalirishrifles.webs.com/2rir1914.htm .To find out anymore it would help if a service record survives for him but a rough date of when he became a POW would help,do you have any idea when this happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i had a look for r mannering in the service and pension records but didnt see him. maybe someone else will have a bit of luck. i got his medal index card , its a better copy than the pdf.

i had a look for r mannering in the service and pension records but didnt see him. maybe someone else will have a bit of luck. i got his medal index card , its a better copy than the pdf.

I had a look also and found nothing,only the MIC

• Advertisement

Only other information I have was that he joined the army initially in December 1904 and was transferred to the reserve in 1912 having served in India. Dont have any other info on when he was called up again. He was discharged in March 1919.
    Only realised he was a POW from an old photograph showing a British POW Dancing and Dramatic Club in Giessen.

Reservists would of been called up on the outbreak of war,further training before they went to the front depended on when they had been transferred to reserve.Many such as your relative went directly out,others stayed back and resumed training until they were needed.War in 1914 was foreseen at that time to be a short war and only last a few months however that wasn't the case.It is a shame that there appears to be no service or pension records showing up at the moment,a vast majority of these were lost during the blitz on London during the second world war.Any indication on the photograph of a date perhaps?.Here is a photo of what Giessen looked like http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/wpimages/images/images1/1/0208/27/1_e298d30bc8e02b5b3b3260e00135b287.jpg

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated. Couldnt access the last photo though.

This is the photo we found recently

Seems to be upside down. Sorry about that. Not sure how to fix it

Not sure where that one went but here's another link with a photo http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/pow_england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I found some old records which states Pte Mannering was taken POW 10/12/1914 and his address as 22,B Block Iveagh buildings,Patrick St?Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Brian Mannering

Kaltz

I am completing a written history of the Mannering family and am 99% certain that Richard Mannering was my great uncle. My grandfather's siblings were Rchard, John and Ellen - all born in Dublin. Their parents were Richard Mannering and Ellen Gartland. Please advise if this ties in with you.

Brian Mannering

Advertisement