Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Dimension 9200/XPS 410 Upgrade

Options
  • 27-03-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Well beings that it's a Dell it's pretty much a dead end when it comes to upgrading.
    You could manage to run a HD 5770 but the system requirents recommend a 400W PSU
    So maybe a HD 5670 which is barely a gaming graphics card but still an upgrade from a 7900gt plus it would defo run with that PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

i would say the 5770 would defo run on it if a gts 250 can but i can't be exactally for sure because i dunno how much your drives, mobo or ram are pulling from the psu but it might be just enough but go with the 5670 if your in doubt because it's the fastest gpu for the wattage it's pulling plus it's still much better than the 7900gt you have and still even faster than the gts 250 which your said psu can run

• Advertisement

between €40 to €50 so a decent one isn't cheap and I would stay clear of that one CiT are a very generic brand and make terrible psu's.
    I say get the 5770 first and if that dosn't work then get the new SU it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

RHJ wrote: »

You should have no problems with IrishMetalheads suggested 5770, had the EXACT same rig myself and ran it with no problems. Assuming you have the same bios, you can bump the ram up to 8gb if required too :D

Don't worry about the power for the card, the 5770 comes in well below the 400w it's supposed to- assuming the PSU is a Delta N375P00, 375w overall, and IIRC, 350w or so is 12v on the rails (i'm trying to quote Solitaire here :P). That leaves you with plenty of overhead for a Q6600 and a medium gfx card. (in fact i toyed with the idea of throwing in a blu-ray drive too, i think they thunder in at a blistering 20w under pressure, again, quoting Solitaire :o)

As an aside, the 5770 is an ace card for that machine, i managed crysis at mid-high settings with ease, you wont be disappointed.

Advertisement